moving 90 % of all my Cash to Asia and Thailand + Step by Step + stay liquid?

I think the problem must be that newcomers , who want to move to Asia and have a 'different' life, somehow ignore that when thinking about investment , and somehow assume the game is just the same as home.

And the rules are the same ...

And of course they are not .

Far from it.

Thus the recurring advice on this Forum.

Come on a 2 year holiday and find out how it works FIRST !!!

Dont , and usually , lose a lot of money...

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest do not make these moves until you have at least 10 years on the ground in Thailand and been involved in business.

Thailand is the Nigeria of Asia when it comes to ethics and morals in doing business.

You can't trust the authorities or the lawyers when things go belly up....and they will.

Your inexperience is quite apparent. Try posting, re: your knowledge, rather than your prejudiced beliefs.

Both the Nigerians, and the Thais are kindergarten (at best), when compared to the very sophisticated Chinese of SEA,

or the Rothschilds of the UK & Europe.

The reality is that most westerners come to Thailand, with the arrogant attitude that Thai people are stupid. Wrong! cheesy.gif

Edited by TuskegeeBen

In this world of uncertainty gold is the choice of many.remember don't put all your eggs in one basket and do as much business outside of the Thai money pit as you can.a good 250kg safe with a 100kg safe inside is need in Thailand.

Gold???? I can't think of a stupider investment. In the long run it isn't even likely to keep up with inflation. Short run its possible to make money, but it's also possible to make money gambling. Lots of luck.

You only need an Elite card, a first class health insurance... about 100,000 baht to spend monthly for a worry free live.

Not all of us want to live like an impecunious peasant in Isaan. Make that a million a month for a basic lifestyle. Caviare and champagne don't come cheap in this country thanks to the ludicrous import duties and taxes. And have you seen how much it costs to import a Ferrari?

WHAT ??? i live a great life in jomtien on 100k play money eat caviar twice a week and eat out 3x a day everyday at brunos, yupin, cafe de amis etc etc belong to the royal cliff resort , dont drink champagne but have my 18yo scocth and vodka martinis,,,,and can get by on less and that but i would have to eliminate a girl or two a week. but a million a month (us$350,000.00+/-per year dont need half that to do all you want and if you came to thailand to get a ferrari then either ,,, well never mind)

that being said moving all your money here would be a mistake and unless your going into a franchise business and plan on leaving it to someone,,, a business is out of the question , rental return with a declining western clientel is a bust these days, investing in the stock market 40% bond 60 stocks mixed intl and usa and 5% gold along with 1 years cash you can get on average a 6-9% return.. but if you have enough just to spend until your 100 do so and enjoy

but as many have said how old are you where do you come from and how much do you have, too many variables to give you an good answer

I did exactly that and now only have my pension coming from Europe. Step by step over 8 years until my 2 houses were sold and money transferred. Obviously a FX account is first on the list. Personally I invested in condos for income and get around 8% net. Forget business but how old are you? don't even consider it under 50.

Oh, heres one now

You get 8% net do you? On condos

Explain to us how you think you get 8% net after all costs, when you have yet to sell them. Also explain to us what 8% of the buy price really is this year or next year.

Truth is, you dont really know what your average returns will be, what you think is 8% more like 2%

happy to explain oh wise one

1/ i dont sell

2/ 8% net is on rents

we WERE talking about RoI on rents right? but just in case you were wondering I just sold 3 units in Chiang Mai at 30%+ RoI

I have owned units for nearly a decade, yes 10 years, and most have paid 8% to 9% NET after agents, common area etc.

You sound like you don't wan't to believe it but it's true in fact i have increased my portfolio by millions but im in it for the monthly income of 8% NET PLUS

I did exactly that and now only have my pension coming from Europe. Step by step over 8 years until my 2 houses were sold and money transferred. Obviously a FX account is first on the list. Personally I invested in condos for income and get around 8% net. Forget business but how old are you? don't even consider it under 50.

Agree with your post, but why not invest in condos if your are under 50?

because of the retirement visa rules and my advice to anyone who will listen to and 'old hand' is serve out your 'sentance' in farangland then come here on retirement visa and buy a few well located condos and relax

I have several, sold some recently as i age, but i get 8 to 9% NET on my rooms and very rarely unoccupied (12 months contracts only). Now sold some to finance other stuff but expect to slowly sell them into my sunset (not yet lol)

aim for 100k income and relax, no tax, no issues back 'home' keeping money in your country = tax issues, government H&S hassles, gas and electric checks and, if you are lucky, 3% return (oh and 10% agents fees)

I have found it very easy to be invested and liquid if by liquid you mean you are able to get cash money for your day to day needs when you need it.

All of my money is invested in a brokerage in the American markets either in individual stocks, ETF's, REIT's, or mutual funds. I can do all things online with that account. Those investments create an income for me. I have a checking account that is tied into that brokerage account and with it comes an ATM card where all the ATM fees all over the world are reimbursed every month. Charles Schwab is the one I use.

When I need money I go to the ATM and get it. Usually 20K at a time. I would not dream about investing any money here. I do have a bank acct here with about 10K Bt in it but I never use it.

You are in the Elite programme?

If not please give the details of which visa/extension allows you to stay here with 10,000 baht in a bank account.

In this world of uncertainty gold is the choice of many.remember don't put all your eggs in one basket and do as much business outside of the Thai money pit as you can.a good 250kg safe with a 100kg safe inside is need in Thailand.

Gold???? I can't think of a stupider investment. In the long run it isn't even likely to keep up with inflation. Short run its possible to make money, but it's also possible to make money gambling. Lots of luck.

Condos in Thailand would be more stupid. Think of how long it takes to sell gold against how long it takes to sell a condo.

Gold is not an investment, it's a currency hedge. The price of gold has been rising ever since Nixon took the USA off the gold standard. The Indians and Chinese have been importing gold for decades.

I'm not saying all assets should be gold. However, which do you prefer to trust? A piece of metal instantly tradeable anywhere, or a piece of paper backed by 60 trillion dollars of debt?

your last post was ...How you could get manage to get some funds for a small house in Issan....... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/909011-how-to-finance-a-house-and-land-countryside-thaistyle/#entry10619180

You have obviously struck it lucky with those 80baht Lotto draws since then.....

Or.......your life is so boring that you like to spend it writing fantasy posts........& ours is also so boring we answer them........coffee1.gif

Edited by oxo1947

I would suggest do not make these moves until you have at least 10 years on the ground in Thailand and been involved in business.

Thailand is the Nigeria of Asia when it comes to ethics and morals in doing business.

You can't trust the authorities or the lawyers when things go belly up....and they will.

sick post about moving substantial assets into a third world country where the op has little legal rights and protections

giving thais control over whatever money is invested in the business. last i heard its 51% owned. they can take everything.

no thanks. not a good idea.

as for funds they are always safer in your country of citizenship. why move them, are they being seized?

seems to be making some sort of emotional decision with the funds, why not leave them where they are and use an atm card? its just numbers anyhow having them in a thai bank does not make it any "closer" or "safer"

people can lodge complaints and have your assets frozen if they are in country. lawyers and courts are corrupt. you are a second class citizen. ill let you do the math on that one, if you can count. sick. sicko. fart.

Edited by fey

Hear! Hear!

Thank you, Cousin Eddie, for words of wisdom that can only come from experience.

(But will the OP listen? I wouldn't bet on it.)

If you are not experienced, there is definitely a learning curve... if you did make money here, how would you get it out?

​.

​The voice of experience and thoughtful reasoning. Thank you Ken24, for that comment..

​I will add one more point, there is also a "language learning curve". Without basic fluency, we are totally at the mercy of the locals. Even with fluent language ability, we are still at their mercy.

​And one more point. If you made some money, what will you do when men in uniforms come around with their hands out for tea money. Any kind of uniform, doesn't matter. If a foreigner makes money here, they will catch the scent and follow it to the source.

that being said moving all your money here would be a mistake and unless your going into a franchise business and plan on leaving it to someone,,, a business is out of the question , rental return with a declining western clientel is a bust these days, investing in the stock market 40% bond 60 stocks mixed intl and usa and 5% gold along with 1 years cash you can get on average a 6-9% return.. but if you have enough just to spend until your 100 do so and enjoy

but as many have said how old are you where do you come from and how much do you have, too many variables to give you an good answer

I have 80% stocks 20% cash. I am too heavy in stocks and may be too much cash, I need to balance my portfolio with bonds, may i ask what bonds do you hold now?

Your inexperience is quite apparent. Try posting, re: your knowledge, rather than your prejudiced beliefs.

Both the Nigerians, and the Thais are kindergarten (at best), when compared to the very sophisticated Chinese of SEA,

or the Rothschilds of the UK & Europe.

The reality is that most westerners come to Thailand, with the arrogant attitude that Thai people are stupid. Wrong! cheesy.gif

"Your inexperience is quite apparent."

Sorry. Wrong again.

Been here since 1990, married-divorced, been thru the courts, renovated property,,,,,owned 3 businesses. I was stupid. Never again.

Up to you.

Edited by CousinEddie

I would recommend to NOT invest any of your money.Life is so short,just spend it doing the things you enjoy and having fun!

C.S ?

or the slight variation that I am unfolding yes invest, get income, liquidate those assets slowly as you age until 70+

Liquidate (except where you live) then enjoy it, as you say "life is short". Keep some for insurance, 'rainy days' and your family and enjoy fine wines and good food + medical care and try and die well. Good luck anyway.

There is a retirement planning book, "DIE BROKE."

Live out your days in comfort and bounce the check to the undertaker.

The guy recommends:

-Annuity that will pay you until the day you die.

-Reverse Mortgage that will pay you monthly & allow you to stay in your house until the day you die.

-Insurance. Have plenty of health/accident insurance.

Give money to your kids wen they are younger, to help them along instead of giving them their inheritance when they are 60 or 70 years old.

Best advice/description that I have heard in a long time.

Live out your days in comfort and bounce the check to the undertaker. and 30%

The guy recommends:

-Reverse Mortgage that will pay you monthly & allow you to stay in your house until the day you die.

Give money to your kids wen they are younger, to help them along instead of giving them their inheritance when they are 60 or 70 years old.

The profit margin on annuities varies between 15% and 30%, depending on which company is selling them. They employ teams of actuaries and financial experts to ensure the company comes out ahead.

Suppose you buy an annuity for $100,000 which gives an annual income of $5500 per year at age 70. That means you have to live at least until age 88 before you start to cost the company money. Even then, the company is still well ahead because it is making a return on the capital you have given it. Die before age 88, and the company gets more icing on the profit cake.

IMHO, and provided you are reasonably astute financially, living off your capital plus returns on investment is preferable. Annuitants are always going to get the short end of the stick.

Oh, heres one now

Explain to us how you think you get 8% net after all costs, when you have yet to sell them. Also explain to us what 8% of the buy price really is this year or next year.

Truth is, you dont really know what your average returns will be, what you think is 8% more like 2%

1/ i dont sell

2/ 8% net is on rents

we WERE talking about RoI on rents right? but just in case you were wondering I just sold 3 units in Chiang Mai at 30%+ RoI

I have owned units for nearly a decade, yes 10 years, and most have paid 8% to 9% NET after agents, common area etc.

You sound like you don't wan't to believe it but it's true in fact i have increased my portfolio by millions but im in it for the monthly income of 8% NET PLUS

Would appreciate it if you would explain what you mean by ' 8% is net on rents' ? Thanks.

I read it as , you get gross rent, = 100%

less 90-92%

This would cover ALL expenses, advertising for renewals, insurance, replacing worn out F& F, repainting the interior ( after 10 years, surely?) property managers fees and common area costs, cash calls for an exterior repainting job ( we just did our building, which is 10 years old) and Annual Personal Taxes on the gross rent, minus the 30% allowance.

Your are obviously smart, but lucky too. Buying property 10 years ago was easier than now. And getting the returns you speak of was easier, too. Just look at the guys who just bought your properties - they are not going to make the same as you did. Maybe you are not saying as much, but I would not imply that it is possible to do what you did, for someone starting today. Otherwise, I appreciate the effort you put in to helping this newcomer,.

You sold for an ROI of 30%. So that would average at a 3% ROI per year, plus the 8% in rentals, right?

How much has inflation been, over the same 10 years ( as you will have to re-invest the sale proceeds now)?

Did you take into account income tax and govt. transfer fees and legal costs on the capital gains on the 3 properties?

Thanks!

Edited by sendintheclowns

The guy recommends:

The profit margin on annuities varies between 15% and 30%, depending on which company is selling them. They employ teams of actuaries and financial experts to ensure the company comes out ahead.

Suppose you buy an annuity for $100,000 which gives an annual income of $5500 per year at age 70. That means you have to live at least until age 88 before you start to cost the company money. Even then, the company is still well ahead because it is making a return on the capital you have given it. Die before age 88, and the company gets more icing on the profit cake.

IMHO, and provided you are reasonably astute financially, living off your capital plus returns on investment is preferable. Annuitants are always going to get the short end of the stick.

when I retired early in UK i opted for a fixed annuity pension (which gives me a small part of my retirement income) I think it cost 130,000 GBP and gives me over 500 GBP a month for life so far I have received over 50,000 GBP and assume I'll live at least 20 more years but thinking about it, with lost interest, even after 30 year it'll only break even. I did it as there was little choice.

The guy recommends:

Agreed. Annuities are usually not for the financially astute. A Vanguard Balanced Fund would probably be better for most.

Sales people that offer annuities are usually snakes.

Some people might be satisfied with the returns & just sleep better knowing they have the means to make it to the end, even past age 88.

The guy recommends:

when I retired early in UK i opted for a fixed annuity pension (which gives me a small part of my retirement income) I think it cost 130,000 GBP and gives me over 500 GBP a month for life so far I have received over 50,000 GBP and assume I'll live at least 20 more years but thinking about it, with lost interest, even after 30 year it'll only break even. I did it as there was little choice.

A lot of people in the same boat. Don't we all wish that we could have done it when interest rates were at 15%. For you, the double hit is the pound's FX to THB.

Please let me introduce myself & permit me to inform you of my desire of going into business relationship with you. I have the belief you are a reputable, responsible and trustworthy person I can do business with and by matter of trust I must not hesitate to confide in you for this simple and sincere business.

I am Eddie Johnson the only son of late Mr Boni Amah Johnson whom was killed by the rebels that attacked our country cote d'Ivoire west Africa and took over our town (BOUAKE).

I ran to Abidjan the economical capital of cote d'ivoire from were I am contacting you. Before the death of my father he told me that he has a sum of US$9,000,000 kept in a private security company here in cote d'ivoire in my name as the next of kin,

Dear, in the capacity of the next of kin and with all the documents in my hand now, I am contacting you with due sence of humanity that you will give it a sympathetic and mutual consideration.

I am honourably seeking your assistance in the following ways.

-To serve as the guardian of this fund.

-To provide good investment plans for the fund and to manage the fund for 5 years, during the investment period,only our profit will be shared annually 70% for me the investor while 30% will be for you.

-Moreover, I am willing to offer you 15% of the total sum as compensation for your effort /input after the successful transfer of this fund to your nominated account overseas, before the investments starts.

Anticipating hearing from you immediately.

Thanks and God bless.

Best Regards.

Eddie

Hi Eddie, was just wondering when i will get my first cheque, it has been 7 years since i sent you my investment. P.S. I s the post box in Nigeria still your registered address?

Oh, heres one now

1/ i dont sell

2/ 8% net is on rents

Oh dear.

8% based on the initial purchase price ten years ago is not an 8% roi this year.

Basically if investing in anything in the entire country was worth it, all the big investment funds, chinas big three banks would be all over it, which would for 1 push up rents with condos.

In real terms, you are in the negative

When I first visited Thailand, some thirty years ago, there used to be a popular saying that you only bring money into the country if you can afford to walk away from it.

OK that's a trifle harsh, and the OP may be a better-than-average investor, and wants to do business in a foreign country that doesn't go out of its way to make it easy to do so, but I've never heard anyone say that it's bad advice. wink.png

Better IMO to bring in only what you need for local living-costs, and leave the rest safely offshore, if only for tax-reasons. I suspect you'll sleep better at nights by following this approach.

But ... another popular saying ... "up to you !". rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo