Deported Wolfgang Ullrich Arrested In Pattaya

george

Deported Wolfgang Ullrich arrested in Pattaya

0,1020,97304,00.jpg

Former Pattaya resident Wolfgang Ullrich

PATTAYA: -- German businessman Wolfgang Ullrich, who was deported out of Thailand in February 2001 for tax evasion, was arrested on Thursday at his home in Chon Buri's Pattaya area for illegal entry last month.

Central Investigation Bureau chief Pol Lt General Suwat Thamrongsrisakul said an investigation against immigration officers at Sadao border checkpoint in Songkhla was underway because of their claim that a computer malfuction on October 21 - the day Ullrich entered Thailand - made them unable to check for his identity.

Police said Ullrich flown from Germany to Cambodia, then to Penang in Malaysia before entering Thailand on the day using his genuine passport. The German has been blacklisted and barred from reentering Thailand following a request by a Munich-based court due to several criminal charges against him.

Ullrich was deported in February five years ago after being arrested in September 1998 for tax evasion. He was accused of not paying tax on an imported yacht. He served a two-year term for not paying a huge fine but was released from prison prematurely following a Royal pardon.

According to the Munich court's indictment, Ullrich was involved in an alleged embezzlement of more than US$45 million (Bt1.9 billion) from an animal-rights fund.

--The Nation 2006-11-02

Background:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17082

Guys like this will make the live for normal farangs more difficult.

You can be sure that immigration officers will be even more careful now.

Because of one bad farang and one bad immigration officer!!!

Certainly hope they get more careful, people like him should never have been alowed in :o

How deceptive! of course he is NOT blacklisted on the request of a Munich based court! if that was the case the Bundes Kriminal Ambt would have revoked his passport. The truth is that this gentleman was framed big time. First the police made up a story that his yacht was used for drugs smuggling to the US. The US embassy rebuked this, so they made up another charge and another. Lots of crooked police became rich by seizing his bussinesses. The truth is that he was cleared of all wrongdoings and allowed back in Thailand. Wolfgang Ullrich however sued the Thai authorities for billions of baht! That is the real reason why he was blacklisted.

It looks like the authorities are trying to pass the buck again!

Probably here trying to reclaim the money that the then reasonably corrupt goverment extorted and consficated from him.

The revenue department can bee seen regularly jollying around the islands on his $2,000,000 motor boat.

Those of you who remember him and have some insight to the story will also remember that he was initially arrested for cocaine, however the charges changed when they found no evidence on his boat. You will also note he was wanted for an alleged embezellment case in Germany, as far as I am aware he nevr actually stood trial in Germany when deported.

He was a wealthy man here who was too prominent and some one decided they wanted what he had, Thailand has changed for the better certainly over the last few years a lot less of this going on.

For those quick to comment on him, do some home work, especially if you haven't been here very long and have no experience of previous goverments.

He has been traveling here regularly from what I have heard since his deportation in 2001, as has another German but his first name is Ulrich rather than his surname.

Edited by fourbaht

Ullrich was sentenced in 2003 by a Munich court to 12 years imprisonment for embezzling the equivalent of 45 million US$ from an animal rights fund he ran. But since he spent most of his time since 1998 in Thai and German jails his term is probably now served. The time in Thai jails counts x 2 because of "inhumane conditions". The persona non grata declaration was overturned by the Supreme Court of Thailand in 2002 because due process was violated. So German authorities probably have no standing request to Thailand to bar Ullrich from entering. Creeps like this give Thailand and especially Pattaya a bad rep but legally Thai authorities might not have a case against him.

Probably here trying to reclaim the money that the then reasonably corrupt goverment extorted and consficated from him.

The revenue department can bee seen regularly jollying around the islands on his $2,000,000 motor boat.

Those of you who remember him and have some insight to the story will also remember that he was initially arrested for cocaine, however the charges changed when they found no evidence on his boat. You will also note he was wanted for an alleged embezellment case in Germany, as far as I am aware he nevr actually stood trial in Germany when deported.

He was a wealthy man here who was too prominent and some one decided they wanted what he had, Thailand has changed for the better certainly over the last few years a lot less of this going on.

For those quick to comment on him, do some home work, especially if you haven't been here very long and have no experience of previous goverments.

He has been traveling here regularly from what I have heard since his deportation in 2001, as has another German but his first name is Ulrich rather than his surname.

Not bad..............

I've worked for him that time so I have some background knowledge.

Some Thais and farangs will be very happy to see him arretsed again otherwise they would have to explain to many things to Mr. Ullrich.

Gerd

http://www.animalrights.net/archives/year/2003/000144.html

"Former Animal Welfare Charity Head Sentenced to 12 Years for Embezzling

By Brian Carnell

Thursday, April 24, 2003

Back in 2001, Wolfgang Ullrich was arrested and charged with embezzling more than $45 million in donations from the German and European Animal Relief Organization. This month Ullrich was sentenced by a German court to 12 years in jail.

Ullrich, 58, was convicted of 137 separate counts of fraud during his term as head of the animal group from 1994-1999. Ullrich had set up a front company in Switzerland through which he funneled the donations.

Source:

Wildlife boss jailed for duping animal lovers. ABC News, April 3, 2003"

I have no problems with this guy and wish him some luck, but a simple internet search did not agree with what some of you have written.

Who actually told YOU he was bad. You may have been here for a while but you just signed up today ??? :o

that was a huge story back in those days.

I was reporting about it back then for newspapers in germany and I can tell any doubter, this guy is really mean.

I was threatened with my life.

good to know that he's back in trouble here.

actually, his unfamous yacht is still at jomtien's ocean marina. looks kind of oldish by now.

Don't know what he did or not did in Thailand, and don't know what Thai authorities did or not did. But I guess the story about the german trial is true and so it looks to me like the guy is not quite innocent or trustworthy.

:D

Who actually told YOU he was bad. You may have been here for a while but you just signed up today ??? :o

Well wot can i say also he should of covered his tracks but been a so silly german wot can u xpect good RIDDANCE of tossers like him pattaya has enuf plums there :D:D

Who TF cares? Better him than me. Unless you've spent time with him in court and / or on a daily basis, how can you believe anything about what's happened here? Please, get a life. Germany I can understand but if he did his time, he did his time. He's simply a rich ex-con. Sounds like a <deleted> waste of time getting worked up about it.

Only for a week or so. :o

You have to sign up eventually, why not today?

that was a huge story back in those days.

I was reporting about it back then for newspapers in germany and I can tell any doubter, this guy is really mean.

I was threatened with my life.

good to know that he's back in trouble here.

actually, his unfamous yacht is still at jomtien's ocean marina. looks kind of oldish by now.

A German in Thailand.... I know what the locals think........

This is not intended to be racist..but why is it always them?? Or an occasional Brit.. like me..

Must be the cold weather and the Margeret Thatcher influence I guess....sort of like Hitler :o

A German in Thailand.... I know what the locals think........

This is not intended to be racist..but why is it always them?? Or an occasional Brit.. like me..

Must be the cold weather and the Margeret Thatcher influence I guess....sort of like Hitler :o

Well, we Americans have our fair share of creeps (I can say from first-hand experience, I am from America). And I've meet some pretty sleazy Italians. Not to leave out the Russians. Or the Israelis. Or the Arabs. Or the Aussies, Kiwis, Thais, Brits, Austrians, Nigerians, Hungarians, Irish, Cambodians, Canadians, Dutch, Chinese, etc... Come to think of it, I think I see a pattern. It's starting to look like the problem is with humanity, not nationality. Most people that I've met (from any country) are pretty decent. But there are always a few bad ones among us, no matter where you go. There's not much point in singling out any one culture.

The bad ones always stand out in our minds, but it's easy to overlook the majority of the people out there who are decent folks.

Just throwing in some pessimistic optimism.

Cheers everybody! :D

-oev

Looks like he's trying for a Tony Soprano look.

:o

:D Could not agree more. Although if forced into this situation i think i would prefer to wake up next to Tony Soprano than this guy! :D

The thought that anyone would want to wake up next to any of these 2 guys is a little disturbing...

Looks like he's trying for a Tony Soprano look.

:D

:D Could not agree more. Although if forced into this situation i think i would prefer to wake up next to Tony Soprano than this guy! :D

The thought that anyone would want to wake up next to any of these 2 guys is a little disturbing...

some have special tastes :o:D

(fourbaht) The revenue department can bee seen regularly jollying around the islands on his $2,000,000 motor boat.

I have no knowledge of this case but would it not be the normal course of events for property, deemed to have been imported without the payment of the correct amounts of taxes, to be seized and sold with the proceeds of the sale used to pay off the outstanding tax ie: To The Exchequor. From what has been reported here, this just seems to be a case of theft of the Germans boat by a group of Thais in senior positions (Thankfully, such things don't happen anymore) 555.