Do the air conditioners here make your throats hurt?

candels

Not mine, sometimes I arrive after spending 24 hours in the aluminium tube with a

tickle/scratchy throat that turns into a cold/runny nose but that is the flight not the

air-con when I arrive. That said keep the air conditioning unit clean and serviced. thumbsup.gif

Hotel air conditioners here in Thailand often go uncleaned for extended periods of time and can certainly contribute to respiratory problems. I don't know about cleaning the air con yourself, but you can try to choose your hotel(s) wisely, remembering whee you've stayed and had trouble and so avoiding that hotel in the future, and/or, remembering where you've stayed and had no trouble, and visiting there again... I generally don't stay in one hotel longer than 3-4 days, and often not that long. I'll move to another town quite often, or even another part of town. Bangkok, for example, is a large city, and there are always other parts to explore and no shortage of hotels to stay in. I don't know if moving on actually helps so much, but I do recall well staying in one Chiang Mai guesthouse for five days, after which I developed a pretty bad case of bronchitis.

Someone above mentioned contracting Legionaire's disease back in 2014. Perhaps this thread and article are about him?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/742835-bangkok-warns-of-risk-of-legionnaires-disease/

I think it maybe coincidental, but this thread was 4 wks after me contracting Legionnaires Disease and Pneumonia, and the Health Dept in Australia were going to contact the Bangkok authorities, advise of the hotel, and take the matter further.

Because of the serious mention of Legionaires Disease, I will post the symptoms for people who might be concerned if they have contracted this disease (it's a severe pnemonia, and you catch it from bacteria in the air -- older smokers are a common demographic for this disease):

Legionnaires' disease usually develops two to 10 days after exposure to legionella bacteria. It frequently begins with the following signs and symptoms:

• Headache
  • Muscle pain
  • Chills
  • Fever that may be 104 F (40 C) or higher

By the second or third day, you'll develop other signs and symptoms that may include:

• Cough, which may bring up mucus and sometimes blood
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Gastrointestinal symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea
  • Confusion or other mental changes

Source: Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/legionnaires-disease/basics/definition/con-20028867

I have to say,yes it does,air con on buses,planes and most hotels.we have fans at home and because i have been here a good many years i am able to cope with most temperatures.But when me and my mrs go out for a night on the town,the hotel air con does make me cough.

Viva la padlom yai.

The problem is the room aircon filters most likely need cleaning, same problem with air buses.

When traveling I always carry rubber gloves, a small container of liquid detergent and another of chlorine (Heiter). Upon renting a room remove the air filter upon which you will realize why you must wear gloves, as the filter is usually a clogged mess of strange colored muck. Rinse the filter in the toilet using the shower house; not the shower-bath as you will stand there eventually. Soak the rinsed filter in a soap-chlorine mix in the sink or trash bucket, for at least 20 minutes while you take your shower. Afterwards rinse off the filter, shake and let dry near the window. Go out on the town and upon return replace the filter if you haven't already.

Awake the next day without throat problems!

Do try this at home and office....

Only solution to bus aircons is to wear a proper mask, not the basic 'few Baht' one but a

3M Respirator Mask 9211N95.

Don't leave home without one...really.

The above solutions may well prevent bacterial lung infection and save your life. FWIW...

What are you going to do if the paint in the room isn't the right shade of drap

Paint It whistling.gif

That is being totally silly, you know damn well his bag is full of detergent , chlorine and rubber gloves. How the hell is he gonna carry a big pot of paint? He will just change all the light fittings to an ambient filter.....that should do it....lol. He turns the mattress, airs the bed sheets...umm, what else? his holiday is over, just time to pack, oh no, its ok, he didn't have time to un-pack.....