Online Store in Thailand to Order an Older RAM ?

scooterboy

Hi,

Anyone happen to know of an online store in LOS, where I could possibly order a 1GB/2GB RAM for an older desktop? I'm up-country, so no tech stores anywhere for miles.

The actual RAM is "1 GB Single Channel DDR2 @ 398 mhz (5-5-5-18)", if it's of any help.

I have no idea if I could use a different but 'compatible' RAM. Maybe you have a spare laying around - then I'd certainly buy it from you.

My desktop works very well, but it's just somewhat slow. There's still an empty RAM slot available.

Thanks for any good suggestions.

Cheers smile.png

DDR2-667 will work. DDR3 won't, though. Different pinout.

eBay might be a good option if they agree to ship to Thailand and there's no potential issue with customs (no experience).

I've checked JIB and BananaIT and they don't have DDR2 for notebooks.

Can't you have someone in Bangkok fetch it for you at Zeer or Panthip of Fortune and ship it to you?

Lazada offers 2 in one order (really slow old stuff):

http://www.lazada.co.th/qumox-2gb-ddr-400mhz-pc-3200-184-pin-dimm-2x-1gb-4298295.html

Advice:

https://www.advice.co.th/product/ram-for-pc/pc-ddr2

https://www.advice.co.th/product/ram-for-pc/pc-ddr2/ram-ddr2-667-1gb-hynix

Unfortunately the order process is in Thai language.

More online shops but all fully in Thai.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Thanks, guys - very useful info!

Ebay - a good idea, but I don't have the necessaries for Ebay transactions.

A shame about the DDR3 not being compatible (I think). But many thanks for the offer - appreciated.

KhunBENQ's info is the best - at the moment. I'd also been looking at Lazada, while using the "compatibility scanner" from Crucial.com, which

gives a whole lotta really useful info. It looks like you just may be right about the backwards compatibility, after all - though I'm still looking at what possibilities there are.

Maybe I'll end up trying out Lazada - I believe they handle Cash Orders, too. At those prices it's no really big deal if the stuff don't work.

Decision tomorrow, I think

Cheers, guys - I'm overwhelmed! Most helpful! biggrin.png

Thanks, guys - very useful info!

Ebay - a good idea, but I don't have the necessaries for Ebay transactions.

A shame about the DDR3 not being compatible (I think). But many thanks for the offer - appreciated.

KhunBENQ's info is the best - at the moment. I'd also been looking at Lazada, while using the "compatibility scanner" from Crucial.com, which

gives a whole lotta really useful info. It looks like you just may be right about the backwards compatibility, after all - though I'm still looking at what possibilities there are.

Maybe I'll end up trying out Lazada - I believe they handle Cash Orders, too. At those prices it's no really big deal if the stuff don't work.

Decision tomorrow, I think

Cheers, guys - I'm overwhelmed! Most helpful! biggrin.png

I have a two GB DDR 2 if you're still looking, please page me. it's brand new, I never used it. Still in the package. A Blackberry 667.

Edited by lostinisaan

SOLVED!

Yesterday late afternoon/early evening we got a phone call from some people we know. They said they knew a guy that might just have what I was looking for. We drove to the place and the guy produced a 2GB RAM that had been taken out of an old desktop.

Yup! That looks like the one. He said we could try it in our computer - if no good then no problem. If OK then 400 Baht, please. Fair enough.

Got the RAM into the computer and fired up - everything working great and there's now 3GB to use. biggrin.png

Thanks to Lostinisaan for the great offer - reply sent.

NOW - still have the (old) problem left of the CPU running at 100% all the time.... at the moment I'm using Malwarebytes and Antispyware to try to clear out any crap stuff. sad.png

^ Yep - though my g/f wouldn't be pleased - she ain't too hot at Windows after 8 years or more .......

Anyway, solved the cpu running at 100% - even when not using any programs.

Turns out it was the <deleted>' app/gadget showing cpu/ram usage that was making the cpu run all the time - <deleted>!

After taking it out and re-booting - the cpu usage is happily bouncing around as it should do. Guess I can live with having to use the Task Manager all the time, instead.

So, the computer's finally running very fast and very smoothly - and thanks to all that replied to this thread. smile.png

More likely being old. Alot of new ones have the CPU's soldered in and can't be replaced, older ones are upgradable by design, hard to make any guesses though without knowing the make and model.

Edited by Rob13

SOLVED!

Yesterday late afternoon/early evening we got a phone call from some people we know. They said they knew a guy that might just have what I was looking for. We drove to the place and the guy produced a 2GB RAM that had been taken out of an old desktop.

Yup! That looks like the one. He said we could try it in our computer - if no good then no problem. If OK then 400 Baht, please. Fair enough.

Got the RAM into the computer and fired up - everything working great and there's now 3GB to use. biggrin.png

Sometimes also a little achievement can make someone's day.

Congrats!

You might be able to upgrade the CPU too for not much money

Unlikely for a notebook, especially that old.
Luckily it's a desktop.

Oops. My bad. From the very beginning I thought that OP had mentioned a notebook. Sorry.

In this case JIB had such memory for sale online, then. But that's not relevant anymore since he's solved his problem.

Apologies for the added confusion.