Hia! Monitor lizard wanders through Bangkok traffic

webfact

Hia! Monitor lizard wanders through Bangkok traffic
By Coconuts Bangkok

hia_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Drivers on Ratchadamnoen Nok had to blurt out a "hia!" this morning... because there was literally a hia on the road.

There was mild chaos at Makkhawan Rangsan intersection this morning when a monitor lizard aka Tua Ngern Tua Tong or just hia wandered across the intersection and affected traffic during rush hour, forcing drivers to try their best to avoid crushing the lizard.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/04/27/hia-monitor-lizard-wanders-through-bangkok-traffic-photos

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-04-27

Poor guy, I hope he didn't end up in someone's soup bowl sad.png .

Reminds me of a time when they paved over what was a roadside khlong in front of my office. One day one of the girls in the office started screaming "turtle,turtle" but with her accent i couldn't understand what she was saying, looked out to the road and saw cars going around what was a pretty decent sized tortoise at a fairly good rate of speed.

Ran out there, grabbed him, ran him over to the khlong on the otherside, set down on the embankment and he took off right away into the water.

Reminds me of a time when they paved over what was a roadside khlong in front of my office. One day one of the girls in the office started screaming "turtle,turtle" but with her accent i couldn't understand what she was saying, looked out to the road and saw cars going around what was a pretty decent sized tortoise at a fairly good rate of speed.

Ran out there, grabbed him, ran him over to the khlong on the otherside, set down on the embankment and he took off right away into the water.

Tur-tun, Tur-tun! Is colour green and Pur-pun

Tur-tun, Tur-tun! Is colour green and Pur-pun

Damn straight dude, that's what they were yelling !

They (Monitor Lizards) are protected by law which is why number have boomed in recent times. In my old neighbourhood they used to run riot especially in the local shrimp/fish farms.

Seeing the odd unlucky one squashed out on King Kaew rd wasn't unusual, nor was having them dossing about in the pool or garden. Beautiful creatures though can be feisty if threatened or cornered.

That said 'protection by law' hasn't helped too many other 'protected species'...

She was saying turtle...that's what it was...not a tortoise.

re

They (Monitor Lizards) are protected by law which is why number have boomed in recent times. In my old neighbourhood they used to run riot especially in the local shrimp/fish farms.

i saw two of them in a few hours on 7 april !

i had been to see the bangkok eye ferris wheel and took a boat to

rachawongse river pier and there was a big one about 6 foot underneath it

it was dark under there but my note 4 did get something of it

then i was walking by the sapha peoples river police station and i saw a four foot one

i ran across the road to see if it came out the other side but it didnt sad.png

dave2

post-42592-0-50716300-1461769410_thumb.j

post-42592-0-57712500-1461769482_thumb.j

post-42592-0-21694500-1461769540_thumb.j

post-42592-0-13242800-1461769573_thumb.j

post-42592-0-76896000-1461769611_thumb.j

She was saying turtle...that's what it was...not a tortoise.

Stand corrected ! thumbsup.gif

But am a big reptile fan and do like the monitors, on my way up Erawan fall path Kanchanaburi saw one lounging in a pool, 8:00AMish, high-tailed it as I came up, probably a lot happier there than a Bangkok intersection.