Difficulty depositing insurance check (cheque) in Thailand

I've lived in Thailand many years, and have had two bank accounts much of that time. A few months ago I received a large check from a life insurance company, as the beneficiary. I tried depositing the check down at Krung Thai, but somewhere along the line it was rejected/cancelled by the check clearinghouse "middleman", and the reason given was "poor paper quality". A very strange reason, I would say, given that the check was quite genuine and a similar large check was successfully cleared within the United States by the co-beneficiary.

In any case, after much difficulty and the passage of yet more months, the insurance company has sent along a replacement check. They claimed to be just as befuddled by the problem as I was.

I decided to give Krung Thai another crack at it, but naturally feel quite trepidatious about the process. I've had to fill out numerous disclosure & other forms - perhaps due to being an American, unfortunately we're subject to some rather draconian rules. Has anyone else had difficulty (or success?) depositing large checks in Thailand? Is it possible that its one of those Thai cases where in fact it can't be done but they won't directly admit it can't be done (either in general or specifically in the case of Americans)?

Edited by ClareQuilty

• 1 month later...

In which currency was the check? There have been a few posts recently about foreign currency checks being refused.

Dollars of course. Thanks for your response. I'd be surprised if the currency was the problem, being USD.

Do a search here. A few posts were made about foreign currency, USD, checks not getting cashed.

I expect there was not much interest because it's been discussed frequently on ThaiVisa....like this most recent thread which started on 28 May 16. Take a review of it and you find info on the subject and other folks who have issues also....and other folks who have no problems getting cheques cleared. TIT.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/920950-foreign-cheque-into-thai-bank-account/?p=10797593