Violence against farangs

xylophone

British family bashed in Thailand

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=11630197

This heading and article were in the NZ Herald newspaper this morning and the video makes for disturbing viewing.

Now before anyone states that such things are rare, I would like to add that I have seen two such incidents In Patong in my time here and they seem to follow the same pattern; some minor confrontation and then a "king hit" from someone, completely out of the blue, followed by several other Thai bystanders joining in with punches and kicks, and in one case I saw, with lumps of wood.

The mob mentality always seems to be evident when Thais are fighting and this is further confirmed when you see or read about the other attacks against farangs.

It is easy to say that you should stay out of trouble, as indeed you should, but you never know when it will find you, because if someone decides that they are going to have some "fun" (read, violence) at your expense then you are pretty well helpless.

And my advice to any friends who visit here from overseas is to be aware of this and really steer clear of any, any, close interaction with Thais that could possibly be misconstrued as a "confrontation".