Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

The BMW leasing I am on is exactly the same as normal car finance in my home country. I pay down 25% cash (700.000 Baht) and then 5 years of financing at 0% interest rate (35.000 per month). Very good offer from BMW. And first class insurance included in the total price of 2.799.000 Baht. At Toyota and Benz the effective interest rate is circa 5% (they actually deceive customers telling them the interest rate is 2.9% - but thats a fixed yearly rate on the total amount, not the real interest rate). Also at Benz insurance not included first year, so another 50-60.000 Baht payout.... I will for sure test the BMW on the road from Bangkok to Pattaya and BKK - Hua Hin. Nice 4-6 lanes road all the way.

You got a good deal and Iam keen to know more about cause I was looking into the 320d as well but the 25 to 35% balloon payment at the end of the 5 years years put me off.

700k deposit.

+

60 months @ 31,300

=

+

balloon (25%)

=

3,222,500 Total.

Ouch, no thanks.

post-186594-0-88813900-1462833522_thumb.

Edited by Don Mega

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so BMW and Mercedes here are not assembled in Germany... whaoo that is really really expensive then, even more than I tought... and compromise on quality for those who look to non Thai made machine.

By the way, EU BMW and Merced are still 100% made in Germany ? really ? I don't have much infos on that.

The car comes as a kit (CKD). Body, Engine, gearbox etc is all made in Germany. Just assembled here. The quality is the same, except from the leather maybe, which I found to look a bit cheaper than the BMW I have, which is CBU (assembled in Germany).

I think you'll find BMW's are SKD rather than CKD in Thailand. Quite a difference.

The BMW leasing I am on is exactly the same as normal car finance in my home country. I pay down 25% cash (700.000 Baht) and then 5 years of financing at 0% interest rate (35.000 per month). Very good offer from BMW. And first class insurance included in the total price of 2.799.000 Baht. At Toyota and Benz the effective interest rate is circa 5% (they actually deceive customers telling them the interest rate is 2.9% - but thats a fixed yearly rate on the total amount, not the real interest rate). Also at Benz insurance not included first year, so another 50-60.000 Baht payout.... I will for sure test the BMW on the road from Bangkok to Pattaya and BKK - Hua Hin. Nice 4-6 lanes road all the way.

You got a good deal and Iam keen to know more about cause I was looking into the 320d as well but the 25 to 35% balloon payment at the end of the 5 years years put me off.

700k deposit.

+

60 months @ 31,300

=

+

balloon (25%)

=

3,222,500 Total.

Ouch, no thanks.

attachicon.gifbmw finance.jpg

Balloon is optional, and quite silly if you ask me. But still don't understand your calculation. If you pay a 25% and a 25% balloon, that means your finance amount is just half, ca 1.4mill. So if you pay 31,000 per month, that's an effective rate of almost 13%. That's gotta be wrong somehow?

700k deposit.

+

60 months @ 31,300

=

+

balloon (25%)

=

3,222,500 Total.

Ouch, no thanks.

Balloon is optional, and quite silly if you ask me. But still don't understand your calculation. If you pay a 25% and a 25% balloon, that means your finance amount is just half, ca 1.4mill. So if you pay 31,000 per month, that's an effective rate of almost 13%. That's gotta be wrong somehow?

Thats the way I read from the website.

http://www.bmw.co.th/th/en/BMW_Price_List_2016.html

Would happy to be wrong though as that balloon is the only thing stopping me from looking at a BMW for my next ride.

Would happy to be wrong though as that balloon is the only thing stopping me from looking at a BMW for my next ride.

What you see from the price lists are only examples. Prices and Rates are negotiable. Balloon payments are definitely optional.

Excellent, best get down to my local dealer then and crunch some numbers.

700k deposit.

+

60 months @ 31,300

=

+

balloon (25%)

=

3,222,500 Total.

Ouch, no thanks.

This cut the balloon pay more each month or more up front.

They wont just waive it.

That is the problem: 180% of the price where it comes from, and theses taxes are not going where it should go, but in China it's even worst for thoses brands.. i heard about 300% of the EU price, that is not stopping rich people to buy it and show it around !

In China only 5000cc and more 300% fee

about overpriced

Thailand
Toyota Camry 2.5HV Navigator 1729 000
Toyota Camry 2.5HV Premium 1899 000
VS
UK
Lexus GS 300h 33 495 BHP= 1708 245 B
Thailand
Toyota GT86 STD grade MT - 2490 000 B
Toyota GT86 STD grade AT - 2590 000 B
Toyota GT86 TOP grade AT- 2740 000 B
VS
UK
Toyota GT86 MT 22495 GBP = 1147 245 B
Toyota GT86 AT 25005 GBP = 1275 245 B
Thailand
Mazda CX5 D AT - 1690 000B
Mazda MX-5 160ps - 2700 000 B
VS
UK
MAzda CX5 D AT - 28295GBP= 1443 045 B
mazda MX- 5 160PS NAV - 21095GBP = 1075845 B
And
when you buy a new car is the price of the car plus service
You do not pay for street food as good restaraunt price
So service as example in Thailand Toyota its not same service China Toyota
and ofcouse not same as UK Lexus..
salary in thailand its 300 B minimum is it?
In UK near GBP per hour in thai work 9-10 hour ok 55 GBP day..
so how many days buy car if compare?
So where overpriced car?
And its only premium brand in Thailand overpraced?
Some TV user say his step son go Thai force and get 16k B per month and he guess its good job-sallary
And how much is in UK force salary?
Who can afford mazda MX-5? its sure not premium car..
Edited by ardokano

That is the problem: 180% of the price where it comes from, and theses taxes are not going where it should go, but in China it's even worst for thoses brands.. i heard about 300% of the EU price, that is not stopping rich people to buy it and show it around !

about overpriced

Thailand

VS

UK

Thailand

VS

UK

Thailand

VS

UK

And

So where overpriced car?

Some TV user say his step son go Thai force and get 16k B per month and he guess its good job-sallary

Aside from Camry/GS300h comparison all of the others are imported in Thailand so of course they will cost more here.

Average salaries are irrelevant for the comparison. I don't think manufactures care. Apple won't charge you less for an iPhone just because you're on a lower income. Only if they can lower their cost i.e. Building in Malaysia instead of Japan can they offer better pricing.

I think UK offers better tax breaks for hybrids so that may account for the gap between Camry and Lexus. Of course Lexus' are more expensive here because they attract import duty.

How a bout cost of ownership? Fuel is more expensive in UK, as well as road tax, insurance and of course repair costs (mostly through higher labour costs) so it's sometimes worth looking at the overall picture and not just a narrow comparison.

Aside from Camry/GS300h comparison all of the others are imported in Thailand so of course they will cost more here.

Average salaries are irrelevant for the comparison. I don't think manufactures care. Apple won't charge you less for an iPhone just because you're on a lower income. Only if they can lower their cost i.e. Building in Malaysia instead of Japan can they offer better pricing.

I think UK offers better tax breaks for hybrids so that may account for the gap between Camry and Lexus. Of course Lexus' are more expensive here because they attract import duty.

How a bout cost of ownership? Fuel is more expensive in UK, as well as road tax, insurance and of course repair costs (mostly through higher labour costs) so it's sometimes worth looking at the overall picture and not just a narrow comparison.

Camry is local?

Labor cost in Thailand cheapest?

GS its import for UK?

Camry still more expesive when same class but as lux representative from Toyota?

CX 5 local for Thailand?

Import for UK?

still up price.

GT86 , MX5

import for Thai import for UK.

so its simular..

and its not PREMIUM car.

and usually compared the price with income.
You can not afford this for income its a reasonable price/overpriced/ overrated..

Where i am wrong?

in Thailand not ONLY premium car overpriced..

and previose i say:

Are 'premium' car brands overrated?

it depends on what you compare it to
If wages in Thailand and car prices.
so not only "premium" car brands. Almost ALL car and many another thinks be overrated.
If Compare with price in some another country as UK/US ets... SAME
But if compare how much you can pay and your needs its be IMHO.
If compare with income from Thailand then you leave in Thailand AND HAVE money can pay for "premium" car brands and you need it, so it NOT overrated.

One thing about economics: a company will charge as much as the consumer wants to pay.

Ceramic coating at 49,000 baht -> people lining up for months to get it.

Actual cost of chemical product: less than 1,000 baht.

Brands in Thailand increase the price of a car -> doesn't matter people still buy it.

about overpriced

Thailand
VS
UK
Thailand
VS
UK
Thailand
VS
UK
And
So where overpriced car?

Who cares about the UK, this is Thailand and the price for a car here is what it is. Overpriced compared to other counties for 'Premium car' so don't buy it if you don't like it or can't afford it stick to locally built cars. You are not from the UK so stop comparing Thailand to the UK.

One thing about economics: a company will charge as much as the consumer wants to pay.

Ceramic coating at 49,000 baht -> people lining up for months to get it.

Actual cost of chemical product: less than 1,000 baht.

Brands in Thailand increase the price of a car -> doesn't matter people still buy it.

Yes, and does glass coating make it shine more ...maybe it will lock in the shine for longer ... and give an extra layer of protection ... makes marks/bird droppings easier to get off.

The shine is in the preparation....

A good business to be in .......

about overpriced

Thailand

VS

UK

Thailand

VS

UK

Thailand

VS

UK

And

So where overpriced car?

Who cares about the UK, this is Thailand and the price for a car here is what it is. Overpriced compared to other counties for 'Premium car' so don't buy it if you don't like it or can't afford it stick to locally built cars. You are not from the UK so stop comparing Thailand to the UK.
Ok. Close the thread!

• 5 weeks later...

Just picked up my 218i. Did me a great deal as they have decided to stop importing the 2 series coupe for now. Got my self a test drive with barely 500km on the clock. Knocked 370k off the list price, topped up the warranty and BSI to 5yrs and got my financing rate down saving me another 100k.

Yes it's still overpriced, but the savings I've gained means reselling in a few years time won't be quite so punishing.

Interesting sidenote, they didn't require a guarantor even though I've never taken financing on a car before in Thailand, just the 25% they normally request.

Unfortunately my X1 doesn't look like it's gonna appear any time soon. Factory has said September now for delivery

Just picked up my 218i. Did me a great deal as they have decided to stop importing the 2 series coupe for now. Got my self a test drive with barely 500km on the clock. Knocked 370k off the list price, topped up the warranty and BSI to 5yrs and got my financing rate down saving me another 100k.

Yes it's still overpriced, but the savings I've gained means reselling in a few years time won't be quite so punishing.

Interesting sidenote, they didn't require a guarantor even though I've never taken financing on a car before in Thailand, just the 25% they normally request.

Unfortunately my X1 doesn't look like it's gonna appear any time soon. Factory has said September now for delivery

How much did you pay for this 1.2m baht car?

You should drive what you like.

Some people like the styling of a Toyota, so they buy it. Some people like the styling of a Ferrari, so they buy that.

I never cared what brand a car had unless it was very untrustworthy, like a Proton. Other than that, if I like how a Toyota Camry looks more than a Porsche Panamera, I'd rather drive a Toyota Camry.

Enough that the depreciation is more favourable when I get to reselling it compared to a 3year old Camry.

I don't want to waste my money and I do think you're going to pay the price for so called premium brands, but I like the car and have tried to mitigate the price difference as much as possible.

Enough that the depreciation is more favourable when I get to reselling it compared to a 3year old Camry.

I don't want to waste my money and I do think you're going to pay the price for so called premium brands, but I like the car and have tried to mitigate the price difference as much as possible.

Why?

I drive a 528i M sport.

The moment I drove it out of the dealership I'd forgotten about the money.

Just enjoy it. Why worry about selling a car you just paid for?

One change in tax laws here and both our cars will be worth bugger all.

Why?

I drive a 528i M sport.

The moment I drove it out of the dealership I'd forgotten about the money.

Just enjoy it. Why worry about selling a car you just paid for?

One change in tax laws here and both our cars will be worth bugger all.

Good choice, wonderful car. For many people, cars are more than just a transport vehicle. Edited by luk AJ

Premium brands in UK are not really premium - it is only in places like US where they have extra duties that they are regarded as "premium" as the manufacturers only sell to "higher-range" models to compensate for the higher prices. However once UK is out of the EU, the cost of BMW and Mercs will rise as the UK government is forced to introduce duties to protect the Japanese factories that can no lnger export to EU without duties being levied.

If we consider the percentage- No more than you pay for a beer or I paid for bus quality similar to Chinese low qality but with Toyota logo.thumbsup.gif

ChesneyHawkes

Congratulations ! Ihjoy your New car

But I pay about the same for beer here as I would in the UK.

cheesy.gif

we talk abou this is in another topic.

If you show me Hoegaarden 750 ml botle less then 150 B I believe you.wink.png and be happy. but no way its more then double pricerolleyes.gif ...

And please no need compare price in Pub UK with price shop in Thailand even this is shop have few table whistling.gif .

if shop in Thai so compare with shop/supermarket in UK.

If pub = pub in Thailandwink.png

Premium brands in UK are not really premium - it is only in places like US where they have extra duties that they are regarded as "premium" as the manufacturers only sell to "higher-range" models to compensate for the higher prices. However once UK is out of the EU, the cost of BMW and Mercs will rise as the UK government is forced to introduce duties to protect the Japanese factories that can no lnger export to EU without duties being levied.

You make my dayclap2.gif

1. If UK is out the EU its not mean UK is out of the EEA (European Economic Area) or not make some special economic agreement as example Swiss with EU...

2.How duties for import car to UK can protect export from japanese brand factory in UK(i hope correctly understood the meaning of your words)?blink.png

3. Why UK goverment no need protect "german factories" - Mini,Bentley, Rolls-Royce etc .. "India factories" - Jaguar Land Rover or "Chineses factories" MG?whistling.gif

4. The first time I've heard "premium" identified by "extra duties", I kept thinking that "premium" exclusivity are defined and what unusual properties / technology, design, quality and pricerolleyes.gif

UK is not Switzerland - Switzerland is in Schengen - UK won't join SchengenYou seem unfamiliar with the situation regards car manufacturing in the EU.

the motor industry in UK is largely owned by Japanese - this is because as in Thailand, te Japanese like to have factories INSIDE their market - they have srrict limitis imposed on the numbers of vehicles they can sell form outside the EU.

opnce the UK factories are outside the EU they will have those same limits - so the Japanese will gradually reduce their commitment in UK and concentrate of existing factories WITHIN the EU.

This means that to maintain employment (and FACE) any UK government will have to protect the home factories from competition - this will be from the larger European manufacturers.

the home market will become all important for maintaining the current factories - even at a reduced output, so the last thing the UK will want is cheap imports from the EU.

Premium - you don't seem to understand how cars are marketed in counties where their prices are artificially high. In countries with high duties otherwise "ordinary cars are to expensive to compete for the vendor concentrates on the higher end vehicles and adds as many "extras" as possible - these are in reality a cheap way of "value adding" to a model. the vehicle then gets a "cachet" in that market and people are prepared to pay the higher prices imposed by the duties. You can see this in the way that Americans regards Mercs as only "luxury" items whereas in many parts of Europe they are regards as "good workhorses" or taxis.

In the 1960s and early 1970s before Uk relaxed duties on vehicles from Europe most continental cars were only available as "luxuries" being 30 to 50 % more expensive than their UK equivalent. in fact the UK vehicles being produced were a heap of shit for the most part, but as they had little or no competition in thr home market, they were just about the only thing you saw on the road. my family imported citroens, both the little 2 CVs and the DS models for a short time Citroen even had a factory in Slough which was designed to avoid the repressive UK duties - in the end the volume of sales wasn't enough to sustain - so when the DS/ID range came out, they reverted to selling the vehicles as a "high-end" (premier) brand.

for over 40 years the UK has enjoyed being able to buy cars manufactured throughout Europe with less and less duties and they have forgotten what expensive luxuries these used to be. once the UK has split from th EU it is inevitable that tariffs both ways will be installed as explained above and we will return to a home market only - which will like Thailand result in a much smaller range of vehicles being available for those with normal money - only the rich will be buying "imported" (and a few "grey imports" for the corrupt) however give that UK is RHD this will be quite difficult as many manufacturers will give up making large numbers of RHD cars as the market shrinks.

One major problem the UK faces is that a shrunken home market can only support a small manufacturing base - this actually came to a head in the 60s and 70s as well as UK failed to switch to exporting good vehicles to Europe - poor management by and large.

In the USA - (A union of course!) it is a different matter - companies like Toyota and BMW are building cars there as the market is big enough to support a factory and expansion. however at the end of the day ALL these markets are replacement markets and pale into insignificance next to the "equipment" market that is China. BMW have factories there and China accounts for something like 70% of their global sales.

how can UK benefit on its own from the Chinese market? well in short it can't - one would be insane to think that the Japanese would use factories in the UK to export to China to any degree - they will simply build in China or nearby.

i don't understand you point number three - but production of British brand names will be determined by their EU and international owners - and in many cases like the Japanese the solution will be to mover production into areas where that are not subjected to import duties by their customers - the UK market alone is not big enough to warrant production for a home market.

it may come as a surprise to you but Switzerland does not have a very large industrial economy and virtually no motor industry. Trying to compare UK to Switzerland is just schoolboy fantasy.

If we consider the percentage- No more than you pay for a beer or I paid for bus quality similar to Chinese low qality but with Toyota logo.thumbsup.gif

ChesneyHawkes

Congratulations ! Ihjoy your New car

But I pay about the same for beer here as I would in the UK.

cheesy.gif

we talk abou this is in another topic.

If you show me Hoegaarden 750 ml botle less then 150 B I believe you.wink.png and be happy. but no way its more then double pricerolleyes.gif ...

And please no need compare price in Pub UK with price shop in Thailand even this is shop have few table whistling.gif .

if shop in Thai so compare with shop/supermarket in UK.

If pub = pub in Thailandwink.png

Guinness in the Red Lion, Chiang Mai is the same as Guinness in most pubs in the UK, DELETED

Edited by seedy
flaming