There's a new park coming to Bangkok!

webfact

There's a new park coming to Bangkok!
STAFF WRITER

chula-new-park-bangkok.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Brilliant as this city is, Bangkok isn’t exactly known for an abundance of green spaces.

But a new community park is in the works that’s hoping to make the city a little greener anyway.

In commemoration of their centenary anniversary, Chulalongkorn University is transforming a 29-rai land plot – formerly used for commercial purposes – into a community park; free to enter, accessible for everyone and abounding in character and ecology.

Described as “a gift from Chula to society”, the park will honour the wish of King Rama V that the land be used for learning and to benefit society. The commercial leases on the land expired recently and provided the perfect opportunity for the university to both celebrate their 100 year anniversary and to give something back to the local community.

The press release sets out the park’s ambition to be the “new lungs of the city and a learning centre between students and communities, men and environment.”

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/theres-a-new-park-coming-to-bangkok/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-05-02

Too little, too late, and nowhere near the city centre. Bangkok has about 10% of the green space of most cities of its size, which is one of the reasons why it has the worst pollution in the world apart from a few Indian and Chinese cities. Environmentally speaking, it is an unmitigated disaster.

Too little, too late, and nowhere near the city centre. Bangkok has about 10% of the green space of most cities of its size, which is one of the reasons why it has the worst pollution in the world apart from a few Indian and Chinese cities. Environmentally speaking, it is an unmitigated disaster.

Better late than never is another way to look at it.

Saw the headline and figured I'd click on this thread to see if anyone could find any negativity to this.

Yep.

Someone thinks it's a disaster.

My my.

"and nowhere near the city centre"

Where do you propose where the city centre is ........?

I would have thought Ratchaprasong or maybe Silom would have been the city centre....if this is the case then it's only 5 or 10 mins walk......

Will they let me walk my dog there unlike any other park in BKK or only let the Soi dogs in?!

Walking your dog in a park would be fine with me as long as it is properly leashed, under control and you clean up any mess it makes.

Don't understand why anyone would object if those conditions were observed.

Thai people don't put thei dogs on a leash nor clean up after them...

Because of this laziness they create harsh measures like no dogs in a park...same mentality of why public and private recreational and sporting sites are closed on holidays....

Better late than never is another way to look at it.

And this is very late. I remember the decrying of lack of public parks in Bangkok twenty years ago. 'Park? What for? We can build a mall or condo on that and make moneeeee'.

Because of this laziness they create harsh measures like no dogs in a park...same mentality of why public and private recreational and sporting sites are closed on holidays....

Wrong. I was sitting in my favourite little restaurant in Suan Pluh and watched as an elderly man reached down and scooped up his pooches poop in a plastic bag he'd pulled from his pocket and then go and place it in a bin. So there. Also, I've never seen dog shit in Lumpini.

I guess you never figured out how to eat an elephant.

We have people in our moobaan who walk their dogs with a scoop. And yes they are thai.

But most are too lazy to walk their dog, it is in the garden and maybe at night they might let it walk itself for a while.

When it's finished..., I wonder if I can have a wee afternoon nanny nap there..., I once dozed off in Lumpini Park and some Thai dude in a uniform(don't they love a uniform up here !).., came and woke me with a light toe poke..., he gave me the stink eye and some muttered "move on" words.sad.png

Really free to enter, accessible for everyone?

Will there be a tiny clause that says 'Foreigners pay 50 baht'?

Must be the most retarded thing I read today.

I'm presuming, it was an allusion to the Thai national parks much-criticized policy/practice of charging non-Thais significantly higher entrance fees than those charged to Thais.

Really free to enter, accessible for everyone?

Will there be a tiny clause that says 'Foreigners pay 50 baht'?

Must be the most retarded thing I read today.

I'm presuming, it was an allusion to the Thai national parks much-criticized policy/practice of charging non-Thais significantly higher entrance fees than those charged to Thais.

Yep, most definitely and it's not retarded at all IMO. It could well happen.