Spanish murder suspect Artur Segarra Princep pleads not guilty, trial set for July

snoop1130

Spanish murder suspect Artur Segarra Princep pleads not guilty, trial set for July

post-249866-0-29291800-1462365056_thumb.

BANGKOK:-- A Spanish man who is the prime suspect in the gruesome murder of a Catalan businessman in Bangkok says he is innocent of the crime

Artur Segarra Princep, 37, pleaded not guilty to the murder of fellow countryman David Bernat, 40, at a hearing held on Wednesday at Ratchadaphisek Criminal Court in Bangkok.

In response to the not guilty plea, the court set a date of July 11 to examine the evidence in the case.

Segarra, who reportedly arrived at court with a smirk on his face and smiling for photographers, is accused of detaining and torturing Mr Bernat at his apartment in Huai Khwang for ten days between Jan 20 and Jan 30 of this year.

Prosecutors alleged that Segarra forced the victim to reveal his ATM PIN which he then used to steal 734, 970 baht.

Segarra allegedly force fed Mr Bernat a cocktail of drugs which caused him to lose consciousness. Segarra then covered the victim’s head with a plastic bag and strangled him, it is alleged.

Segarra then dismembered the victim’s body dumping body parts in several locations along the Chao Phraya River.

When police first identified Segarra as the prime suspect in the case he had already fled Bangkok to Surin, reportedly the home of his Thai wife. He was then forced to flee from a restaurant after locals recognised his face from a news report that was being shown on TV in the restaurant.

Police later found a motorbike belonging to Segarra dumped close to the border with Cambodia.

On February 7th he was arrested in Cambodia and extradited back to Thailand where he has been detained in Bangkok Remand Prison.

At the time of his arrest, Thai immigration reported that Segarra had traveled in and out of Thailand on 13 separate occasions and that his last visa had expired in December 2015.

Source: Daily News / Tnamcot

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-04

He will soon have that smirk wiped off his face,there must have been a ton of forensic evidence

at his apartment,lets hope they collected it all,correctly.

regards worgeordie

He will soon have that smirk wiped off his face,there must have been a ton of forensic evidence

regards worgeordie

Plus: fleeing Bangkok, fleeing a restaurant in Isan, fleeing Thailand, dumping motorcycle at boarder - pleadging not guilty. I wonder how he is going to explain this.

700,000thb won't buy his way out of this.... That would probably cost millions

I would say he is getting real Thai justice...

No money can buy his way out of this, it is way too far into the judicial system for any financial negotiations.

Once you are formally charged, you have zero chance of any of that.

Spanish man pleads not guilty to murdering, dismembering compatriot
By Coconuts Bangkok

segarra_0.jpg
Artur Segarra. Photo: Cambodian police.

BANGKOK: -- A Spanish man has pleaded not guilty to the gruesome murder of a compatriot in Bangkok in January.

Artur Segarra Princep, 37, told the Criminal Court on Wednesday he did not kill or dismember Spanish businessman David Bernat, 40.

Artur is accused of detaining David in his Huai Kwang apartment from Jan 20-30 and forcing the victim to reveal his ATM pin in order to steal THB734,940.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/05/04/spanish-man-pleads-not-guilty-murdering-dismembering-compatriot

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-05-05

Spaniard Pleads Not Guilty to Killing and Dismember David Bernat in Bangkok

BANGKOK – Spanish National Autur Segarra Princep, 37, told a Bangkok Criminal Court Judge Wednesday he did not kill or dismember a Spanish compatriot in Bangkok in January.

After hearing the list of charges from a translator, Autur Princep entered an innocent plea in the murder case of Spaniard Pleads Not Guilty to Killing and Dismember David Bernat in Bangkok , 40. The court set the evidence-examination hearing for July 11.

Public prosecutors charged Mr Segarra with premeditated murder, kidnapping, body concealment, torture and theft, the Bangkok Post Reported.

Full story: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/spaniard-pleads-not-guilty-to-killing-and-dismember-david-bernat-in-bangkok.html

crt.png
-- Chiang Rai Times 2016-05-05

regards worgeordie

Collecting it "correctly" has never been an issue with these guys. It's collected and a bunch of BiB stand in a circle pointing their fingers at it - case closed.

M.O. of the murder is more consistent of a Police gang trying to extort money from the victim, rather than a Spaniard compatriot. I think time will tell the truth....And there might be some explanation for the smile on the accused face....

Edited by AlQaholic

No money can buy his way out of this, it is way too far into the judicial system for any financial negotiations.

But don't let that fact get in the way of a little gratuitous Thai-bashing.

So far the RTP have handled this case very well.

regards worgeordie

Plus: fleeing Bangkok, fleeing a restaurant in Isan, fleeing Thailand, dumping motorcycle at boarder - pleadging not guilty. I wonder how he is going to explain this.

Easy

Left BKK as he grew tired of it like I did

Fled the restaurant so as mot to pay the bill

My bike broke down and I went to find a mechanic gigglem.gifrolleyes.gif

regards worgeordie

Would you hang around if you were the main suspect in any criminal offence in this country? I surely wouldn't. What if they are framing you or have their minds set on you even if you didn't commit the crime? No matter what evidence you have that you didn't do it they will destroy it or simply ignore it and send you away in any case. It's so normal here. They like to 'solve' cases as quickly as possible, it's the only thing that matters in order for them to save face, even if they send an innocent man to his death or a life long in prison. They couldn't care less. Now tell me again that you are not going to flee when you see your face on wanted posters or the telly. Hahaha, and avoid the Cambodian border pls, opt for Malaysia and then Indonesia.

Not saying he is innocent but I do believe in innocence until proven guilty, not the other way around.

But don't let that fact get in the way of a little gratuitous Thai-bashing.

So far the RTP have handled this case very well.

No Thai-bashing on my part, merely stating the FACTS.

Is that a tattoo of a revolver and bullets on his left shoulder by any chance?

Yep, certainly looks like it. Of course a tattoo is by no means an indication of guilt in this case but we are not in court so we can speculate for fun...

It doesn't make him look like an innocent character thats for sure, who on earth has such tattoos unless they are involved in something shady?

If he did do this it is a pretty horrendous way to go and anyone that has it in them to suffocate and chop up the victim deserves to be taken out of society, pronto, for good!

I am not so sure about that anymore. You only have to look at a fairly recent case of evidence "not available" or going missing, or DNA is all used up and inconclusive.

If enough money is on the table I suspect anything might be possible.