Tesco Home Delivery in Chiang Mai - Level of Stupidity?

menzies233

Of course you could always do the unthinkable and go to Tesco, buy what you want and go home. Nah silly idea that

From what I gather from reading the OP I think he lives a 75 kms round trip. It seems very reasonable to me to use the online service and get - did he say - free delivery?

And there is nothing within 75km from were he lives? Come on, unless he lives out in the jungle there is something and probably a few Tesco's close to where he lives. I would seriously doubt if Tesco would do a round trip of 75km for free. I read this distance as the cumulative distance if he placed several orders

Of course you could always do the unthinkable and go to Tesco, buy what you want and go home. Nah silly idea that

Maybe he can't balance the bags in the basket and on the handlebars of his scooter, like you do. wink.png

Hard to comment on that never ever having a scooter but maybe. Do you think it would be possible? You are the expert on scooters

Meh, I like the delivery service. I only use it when I want to stock up on heavy things, but I'll add my weekly dry goods to the order. Replacement products are either accepted or not; I didn't mind them substituting kitchen towels and salt, but didn't want the soap they sent so just had it deducted from the total. All of the replacements I've ever had were sensible ones apart from Pears soap being substituted for some fragrance and chemical filled very ungentle type (I know all soaps are chemical and almost all of them contain fragrance, colour and the like, but some of these are more harsh and irritating to the skin than others).

As for potatoes and the like, I prefer to pick them out myself (usually from the market). I think the only fresh goods I buy at supermarkets are meat, fish and imported apples, pears and kiwi fruit, but I don't want someone else choosing what they think are the best ones. Fortunately, we are not far from a Tesco, and Big C Extra so I can include them on a walk to stretch my legs a bit.

A heads up to anyone who hasn't tried them yet - Jazz apples from New Zealand. Tesco and Big C have them, not sure about Tops and Rimping as they are far too expensive for fruit. They are truly the nicest apple I've ever had.

I just love how TV threads progress far beyond the original topic.

Tesco delivery limitations > Tesco manger competency > Deadly margarine chemicals > Margarine vs Butter > Natural vs GMO

It's like the OP plants rose flower seeds, then the replies come like pesticide and turn it into a garden of weeds. This is why I open all threads, because the topic heading is just a tease for a subject matter that could go anywhere.

[emoji2]

Just like conversations in the real world, despite some who try to artificially neuter them.

You are never expected to accept a substitute - they will be clearly marked on both bill and placed in distinctive green bag. It is up to you if you want or not (which is also true of anything - if you do not like the sell by date or something you can refuse - as a matter of fact they will often place in green bag and make a note if near expiration date).

Yes stock is always an issue (although seems to be improving) but providing something close is a rather nice feature and often I can accept there pick. If not they are happy to reduce my bill and if that brings it below an e-coupon discount amount they still provide the full discount.

I've used their home delivery service pretty regularly in BKK ever since it started.

IMHO, they've gone downhill in some ways over time.

One way that's really annoying is that you book an appointment window for your delivery, like between 4 and 6 pm via their website. For a long time, they seemed to keep to those appointment windows pretty well. But in recent months, for who knows what reason, I'll have a 4-6 pm appointment window and the delivery driver will show up at noon or 2 pm... I mean, WAY OFF the schedule time. No advance warning. No call to check if anyone's going to be home. Lately, that's not been the exception, that's been the norm.

Another sore point is their poor stocking and substitution policies. One time, the driver showed up with my order, and literally more than half of the stuff I had ordered (which all showed as available on their website) was missing and not available. No substitutions done, no call or warning that much of what I had ordered wasn't come. After that, I called and loudly complained to Tesco's main customer service call center. And after that, at least in my case, these days they seem to be calling me ahead of each order to confirm or to advise if anything I've ordered is not going to be delivered.

By the time they call, the order has already gone out in the truck and there's no opportunity to change or substitute anything. But at least they're letting me know ahead of time what's going on.

And I was a bit bemused for a while, when I'd log into the Tesco delivery website, and it would ask me whether I wanted my ordered delivered to my home or saved for store pickup, and the website showed my store pickup location as being in Chiang Mai (but my home and address in their system is and always has been in BKK). Never did figure that one out.

I heard that they have been taken over by 711 group as have Makro ?

The takeover group you refer to is called CP and it runs the franchise 7/11 as well as Makro.

It is also interested in taking over Tesco, as Tesco is faltering badly in SE Asia

From what I gather from reading the OP I think he lives a 75 kms round trip. It seems very reasonable to me to use the online service and get - did he say - free delivery?

You are correct it is at least 75 km round trip - Their delivery service is excellent and I send Positive Feedback EVERY SINGLE DElivery! Even when they make a mistake, as they are great guys.

I cancelled two orders because of the terrible new system on Friday, I complained to them about the stupidity ( or Thainess) of the new website, i looked again today and lo and behold I can now order 4KG of potataos again!!!!

If you don't complain it will slide, believe me!

They were taking a huge slide up here in Chiang Mai last year to the point I contacted their head offices in the UK ( it got to the point you could not order a potato a carrot pork mince an onion...) It was terrible.

I had e mails back from Trevor Masters and their Head of Thailand operations whom it seemed had been decieved on their visits here and made to believe Thainess.

There was obviously some arse kicking and withing 3 days all was back to normal.

So if you have complaints, make them, if you don't complain you will join the herd of Thais that simply accept poor service (BIG C) and "Sorry, No Have"

At the end of the day if no one orders we all lose, Tesco move on and close, we are forced to accept some junk like Big C - Try online ordering with them!!! I Dare you.

As for takeover, I think it is Big C that has been taken over, not Tesco.

And as for delivery, I have not paid a delivery charge in about 2 months (1 order or so per week) I just re ordered this afternoon and it is free delivery all next week!

Edited by menzies233

You are never expected to accept a substitute - they will be clearly marked on both bill and placed in distinctive green bag. It is up to you if you want or not (which is also true of anything - if you do not like the sell by date or something you can refuse - as a matter of fact they will often place in green bag and make a note if near expiration date).

Yes stock is always an issue (although seems to be improving) but providing something close is a rather nice feature and often I can accept there pick. If not they are happy to reduce my bill and if that brings it below an e-coupon discount amount they still provide the full discount.

I've used their home delivery service pretty regularly in BKK ever since it started.

IMHO, they've gone downhill in some ways over time.

One way that's really annoying is that you book an appointment window for your delivery, like between 4 and 6 pm via their website. For a long time, they seemed to keep to those appointment windows pretty well. But in recent months, for who knows what reason, I'll have a 4-6 pm appointment window and the delivery driver will show up at noon or 2 pm... I mean, WAY OFF the schedule time. No advance warning. No call to check if anyone's going to be home. Lately, that's not been the exception, that's been the norm.

Another sore point is their poor stocking and substitution policies. One time, the driver showed up with my order, and literally more than half of the stuff I had ordered (which all showed as available on their website) was missing and not available. No substitutions done, no call or warning that much of what I had ordered wasn't come. After that, I called and loudly complained to Tesco's main customer service call center. And after that, at least in my case, these days they seem to be calling me ahead of each order to confirm or to advise if anything I've ordered is not going to be delivered.

By the time they call, the order has already gone out in the truck and there's no opportunity to change or substitute anything. But at least they're letting me know ahead of time what's going on.

And I was a bit bemused for a while, when I'd log into the Tesco delivery website, and it would ask me whether I wanted my ordered delivered to my home or saved for store pickup, and the website showed my store pickup location as being in Chiang Mai (but my home and address in their system is and always has been in BKK). Never did figure that one out.

I agree with you in a lot of your points, the substitution is annoying, but often I just grin and bare it. Never had as bad as 50% substituted, what were you ordering garlic marinated children and larks tongues?

Never really had a problem with their delivery times, in about 150 deliveries they were late by 30 minutes max about twice.

They bring me French loaves with each delivery even though they are not orderable online, this was after I passed a comment that the American style bread was revolting and full of sugar. ( They buy it instore for me and it comes on a separate bill)

What annoyed me was ordering of beer. Regardless of when the order is "picked", the time is irrelevant, it is the time of delivery that allows you to buy alcohol under these ridiculous licensing laws. I normally can only buy beer if the order is between 12pm and 2pm or after 6pm.

This was adhered to for a while until I told the delivery guys that someone will be here all day of the delivery date, so no problem.

Now I can book the beer for the 6pm to 8pm slot as legally required and sometimes it arrives at 4pm which suits me fine.

It is a pity these guys are not allowed to accept tips as their service is some of the best in Thailand, they will not take one Baht - ( AND ANOTHER THING TESCO ROUND OFF YOUR PRICES!!! I hate having to wait while they scratch around for those useless 25 Satang bits of copper) Just round up or down to the nearest Baht, it is a waste of time for a worthless piece of metal.

Meh, I like the delivery service. I only use it when I want to stock up on heavy things, but I'll add my weekly dry goods to the order. Replacement products are either accepted or not; I didn't mind them substituting kitchen towels and salt, but didn't want the soap they sent so just had it deducted from the total. All of the replacements I've ever had were sensible ones apart from Pears soap being substituted for some fragrance and chemical filled very ungentle type (I know all soaps are chemical and almost all of them contain fragrance, colour and the like, but some of these are more harsh and irritating to the skin than others).

As for potatoes and the like, I prefer to pick them out myself (usually from the market). I think the only fresh goods I buy at supermarkets are meat, fish and imported apples, pears and kiwi fruit, but I don't want someone else choosing what they think are the best ones. Fortunately, we are not far from a Tesco, and Big C Extra so I can include them on a walk to stretch my legs a bit.

A heads up to anyone who hasn't tried them yet - Jazz apples from New Zealand. Tesco and Big C have them, not sure about Tops and Rimping as they are far too expensive for fruit. They are truly the nicest apple I've ever had.

I see your point about picking out your own potatoes but, from experience over the years, the pickers in the shop tend to pick out the very best they can find, probably in case of rejection at point of delivery.

They also put any items that are slightly "Ugly" (Like oranges with blemished skins) in the green accept or reject bags. I have never had a problem with quality. The only time I ever ended up with a problem from Tesco was when I bought in store my usual 3 or 4kg of minced pork, that we would put into smaller bags and stick in the deep freezer.

By the next morning the entire lot of pork had frozen but was green and rancid. They replaced it without question.

I just love how TV threads progress far beyond the original topic.

Tesco delivery limitations > Tesco manger competency > Deadly margarine chemicals > Margarine vs Butter > Natural vs GMO

It's like the OP plants rose flower seeds, then the replies come like pesticide and turn it into a garden of weeds. This is why I open all threads, because the topic heading is just a tease for a subject matter that could go anywhere.

[emoji2]

It is like a huge cauldron of witches brew!

Makes for an interesting read though, kind of how people's minds work over here, we are definitely not the same as most of those that remain in their home countries.

As one narrow minded short sighted poster pointed out about "Why not visit the store" well as someone else replied, try hanging 24 bottles of beer in plastic bags, along with 8kg of vegetables, and another 10 kg of meat around the handlebars of a bike. Add on the frozen goods that probably add up to another 3kg, which will be melted to mush on my 45 km return journey, then you can see why I like Tesco home delivery!

I am actually very lucky that they even bother to deliver out as far as my place, we are almost on the limit. (It is actually nearer to a 90 km round trip than a 70km - I miscalculated the distance before we hit the main drag)

Edited by menzies233

Hi there menzies233

Would suggest you chill out with the labels " stupidity", "incompetent fool" etc.

No one on this site would be permitted to label you as such, so....sad.png

I agree. When I read posts that use name calling and degrading terms as a means of getting the point across, it is discredited by those very words.

I agree with you in a lot of your points, the substitution is annoying, but often I just grin and bare it. Never had as bad as 50% substituted, what were you ordering garlic marinated children and larks tongues?

Never really had a problem with their delivery times, in about 150 deliveries they were late by 30 minutes max about twice.

They bring me French loaves with each delivery even though they are not orderable online, this was after I passed a comment that the American style bread was revolting and full of sugar. ( They buy it instore for me and it comes on a separate bill)

Re your comments on my prior post:

--Tesco didn't substitute 50% of the items in my order. They simply showed up with half of the items in my order missing, and nothing provided as replacements, and no advance call or warning.

--I too have rarely had any problems with them showing up late. I've had MAJOR problems with them showing up HOURS earlier than my scheduled appointment window, typically without any advance call or warning.

But that's in BKK, not CM. YMMV.

I will agree, apart from their scheduling problems here, the Tesco drivers I've encountered have been unfailingly polite and well-mannered.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK