Voltage Converter - Are They Safe & Reliable

sfokevin

I want to set up a Bose 35 surround sound system in my condo in BKK. I want to buy the unit in the US. The units sold here in the US are not dual voltage :o so I will need a 110-220 voltage converter. My question is two fold... Are these converters reliable and safe to plug electronics into and do they use a lot of electricity when the Bose system is not turned on?

I want to set up a Bose 35 surround sound system in my condo in BKK. I want to buy the unit in the US. The units sold here in the US are not dual voltage :o so I will need a 110-220 voltage converter. My question is two fold... Are these converters reliable and safe to plug electronics into and do they use a lot of electricity when the Bose system is not turned on?
According to Bose's Lifestyle 35 Operating Guide, the system is available with 3 different "Media Power Packs", as follows:

Media Center Power Pack Power Rating

USA/Canada: 120V 0.55A 50/60Hz 33VDC 1.1A

International: 220-240V 0.30A 50/60Hz 33VDC 1.1A

Dual voltage: 115/230V 0.55A 50/60Hz 33VDC 1.1A

What you need is the DUAL VOLTAGE model. You should be able to obtain that model either direct from Bose (check their website or call/email them) or from one of the larger electronic stores such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Magnolia or CompUSA.

Once you arrive in LOS, I'd suggest you also obtain a good voltage "spike suppressor", for additional system protection.

waldwolf

Bose have store in Paragon mall in Bangkok. Can't speak for other products but was interested in the Quiet Comfort 3 headset, which a} is not 'here' yet {no have :o } and b} the Version 2 was about twice the official Bose internet price!

Hm....

Regards

/edit brackets //

Edited by A_Traveller

The ideal solution is to get the correct power unit, may not be cheap though. If you must use a converter :-

Avoid the cheapo converters!!!! The decent (read more expensive) transformer (read heavy) units are reliable and efficient. The converter itself will use only a Watt or two when the theatre is off.

Make sure you get one that can handle the rated power of your home theatre (and any other 110V stuff you plug in to it).