Ford Powershift Dual Clutch 'Teach-in' Needed Please

I know that there are some very knowledgeable guys on this forum. I wondered if one, or more of those in the know, could explain the problem and the latest solutions. And is it a complete fix?

There is much information on the internet, but it would be nice to have it 'simplified and updated' I think.

I’m interested as we bought a Fiesta EcoBoost last year, (built early 2014) for my ‘inherited’ daughter to use. Hoping that it would last her many years … it was when they were offering a 100K discount which seemed not a bad deal at the time. Looking back I’m not convinced ……

It’s booked in for TCM software update at the end of this month… my wife was told that there was a three week software update queue at the garage when she phoned.

‘Inherited’ hasn't as yet, although we advised her to, bought the extra two year warranty, which I think is a must. Suppose the bill could be heading our way .....

Hopefully an update on this will be useful to many Fiesta and Focus owners. As I understand having some knowledge of the problem and fixes could be useful in any discussion with Ford.

Thanks Guys

Edited by JAS21

Ford have had a nightmare with this transmission. So much so they've abandoned it on the new Focus for a regular automatic, which launches later this year. Just search Australian Ford forums for the issues they've had.

I have a 2013 2.0 Focus PowerShift. My transmission has been, for the most part, absolutely fine. I have noticed some sporadic problems, mainly when the engine/gearbox are very hot (in heavy traffic). The problems range from slow kick down to revs slow to decrease after lifting off the throttle. Nothing dangerous, just annoying. However, the more I think of it as a manual, the more 'normal' it seems, if that makes sense. After all, it is a manual 'box that shifts automatically. That said, it's still not quite right. Overall, I like it as when it does perform it's epic. Gear changes are fast, smooth and efficient. It's such a pity they released it before it was 100% ready, in my opinion. My understanding is that fluid can leak onto the plates causing the clutch to shudder. I can't see how a software update can fix this though. Mine too has just been recalled and I'm trying to book it in now at my dealer. I'm not sure what this update will 'fix', but I guess it can't be any worse and they've been releasing updates for years now, so they should be getting close, one would think.

• 2 weeks later...