What To Do?

Here's the deal: In five months I'll be leaving Thailand after teaching phratom 4-6 Science here for two years. I'm an American with a BA-Political Science and have a TESOL certification from TEFL International. So my question is: If I want to work at an international school, what is the most effective qualification to get next? What about some good websites for finding this info?

I'd like to continue teaching Science but a switch to English wouldn't be out of the question. I don't know if going to the UK for a PGCE or getting a QTS is even an option, but living in the UK (or the US) is really not my cup of tea. I'd be willing to do some hard time in The West for a while but it would really need to be worth my time. Does anyone know of a good on-line certification that international schools would accept? I'm not looking for an easy out, just an option outside the US or UK. What about gaining the necessary qualifications in another country?

I'm also looking to into the DELTA. Does anyone have any opinions on its usefulness? I also wouldn't be opposed to getting a more relevant degree if that's all it will take.

Basically, I'd really like to improve my teaching skills and find a great school to work at with a more serious approach to education than what I've been experiencing here.

Any useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Here's the deal: In five months I'll be leaving Thailand after teaching phratom 4-6 Science here for two years. I'm an American with a BA-Political Science and have a TESOL certification from TEFL International. So my question is: If I want to work at an international school, what is the most effective qualification to get next? What about some good websites for finding this info?

I'd like to continue teaching Science but a switch to English wouldn't be out of the question. I don't know if going to the UK for a PGCE or getting a QTS is even an option, but living in the UK (or the US) is really not my cup of tea. I'd be willing to do some hard time in The West for a while but it would really need to be worth my time. Does anyone know of a good on-line certification that international schools would accept? I'm not looking for an easy out, just an option outside the US or UK. What about gaining the necessary qualifications in another country?

I'm also looking to into the DELTA. Does anyone have any opinions on its usefulness? I also wouldn't be opposed to getting a more relevant degree if that's all it will take.

Basically, I'd really like to improve my teaching skills and find a great school to work at with a more serious approach to education than what I've been experiencing here.

Any useful suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Take a look at the websites of international schools. BEd or PGCE are very common. They also like to see a couple of years experience at schools in your native country.

I'm not sure if any on-line accreditation is good for teaching. A DELTA is good for teaching TEFL - although it would help improve classroom management or something like that.

Hope that helps.

I'm not aware that the USA has the equivalency of the UK's PGCE - where somebody like you or I who have a non-educational BA or BS become certified to teach back home. I suppose we'd be expected to get a B.Ed. (or its equivalent, such as what my daughter has, a BA in teaching science). That means at least 24 hours of undergraduate courses in education and your teaching subject (unless you wanted to teach Poli Sci, for which there isn't much demand overseas).

Can you go home, attend university for 3 semesters full time, and then teach for a year or two back home?

I've got some non-professional doubts that an international school would think highly of an online degree, and I understand they want full certification in your home country.