There Are Plenty Of Hotels And Guest Houses Available In Chiang Mai

Ulysses G.

There are all these rumors about no hotels because of the flora festival, but there are plenty of places to stay here. There seems to be TONS of cheap hotel openings over in the big backpacker area on the other side of Rachaddamamndoen Road in the old city going North towards the moat. Near the UN Irish Pub and on to Moon Muang soi 9. Some are quite comfortable with air con, UBC cable TV and swimming pools.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Not to mention the maybe bigger backpacker area on this side of Ratchadamnern going South towards the moat. Three brandnew small guesthouses opened last month, more in the process of being built together with a couple of not so small, low rise hotel complexes - one maybe ready January, one probably not ready this high season ...

Just one example:

The Montri Hotel is newly remodeled and located right at Thaphae Gate in the old city in the middle of the tourist district and is clean, convienient, has air-con, free wi-fi in rooms and cable TV for 750 per night.

They have rooms for many dates at: [email protected]

phone # (66-53) 211069-70, 418480

fax# (66-53) 217416

address: 2-6 Ratchadamnoen Rd.

Chiang Mai

Just one example:

The Montri Hotel is newly remodeled and located right at Thaphae Gate in the old city in the middle of the tourist district and is clean, convienient, has air-con, free wi-fi in rooms and cable TV for 750 per night.

fax# (66-53) 217416

Chiang Mai

Bonjour G-P,

Do you get a commission ?

Just one example:

fax# (66-53) 217416

Chiang Mai

Bonjour G-P,

Do you get a commission ?

No, but I'm afraid that tourists will just skip Chiang Mai if people keep claiming that the Flower Show has filled the town, so I wanted to give an example of a good hotel with rooms.

What I cannot understand is why they print stuff in what is supposedly a reputable paper (The BK Post), if the stories have no substance.

There are many business people on this forum who depend on high season for a very high percentage of their income, the other 8 months of the year many (not all) businesses are just scraping through, waiting for high season to turn a profit. One article like the one printed on the front page of The Post last week could have very damaging effects on people who depend on the tourist dollar.

People who have businesses here should really write to The post and ask them where they get their information from? maybee they just call a few hotels and if they are full they assume everyone is.

Fair enough its tough to get somewhere over New year..always has, but the rest of high season should not create any problems whatsoever.

Good on yer UG for posting this..now why dont you take it up with The post and get them to tell everyone that Chiangmai is "Open For Business as usual"

I read the story in the Post about Chiang Mai not having rooms, but, I had noticed that the areas that I have mentioned above seemed almost empty compared to other years, so I rode around on my bicycle and asked at different hotels and guest houses and very few are full now or in the next month or so.

There are lots of areas where I didn't look, and my guess is that - outside of the Night Bazaar -there are PLENTY of rooms in Chiang Mai for the tourist season. Now, it would be nice if the Bangkok Post would just acknowledge it.

Just one example:

They have rooms for many dates at:.......

Yea, they use to have lots of dates just sitting around in the lobby.

There are all these rumors about no hotels because of the flora festival, but there are plenty of places to stay here. There seems to be TONS of cheap hotel openings over in the big backpacker area on the other side of Rachaddamamndoen Road in the old city going North towards the moat. Near the UN Irish Pub and on to Moon Muang soi 9. Some are quite comfortable with air con, UBC cable TV and swimming pools.

Could you give me a lead on a nice hotel/guesthouse with air, UBC/WeTV, and/or a swimming pool somewhere between the UN Irish Pub street and MM soi 9 that's not really expensive? Oddly enough, I live in that area and am having trouble finding a place with air, good TV, and ideally a pool for my parents who are coming and staying here for 2 months starting around New Year. Last year they stayed at Sri Pat on Soi 7 and were happy with it, but ideally would like a pool so they can take their grandbabies swimming when it's hot. :o

Cheers,

TT

There's a new place just at the North-Eastern corner of the moat that has a pool out back. Nice rooms, the standard one notch above Sri Pat - it is a hotel and not a guest house, but still not overly expensive.

Royal Peninsula, it's called. It sounds larger and more impressive than it is, but I still think it was good value for money and the family I recommended it to had children and were very happy with the pool.

Haven't got a clue if they still have rooms left, but might be worth looking into.

There's a new place just at the North-Eastern corner of the moat that has a pool out back. Nice rooms, the standard one notch above Sri Pat - it is a hotel and not a guest house, but still not overly expensive.

Royal Peninsula, it's called. It sounds larger and more impressive than it is, but I still think it was good value for money and the family I recommended it to had children and were very happy with the pool.

Haven't got a clue if they still have rooms left, but might be worth looking into.

I hadn't even thought of that place! It looks so posh. Checked out their website and the monthly rates are totally reasonable and the rooms look great. I sent in an inquiry for reservation so will see what they say.

Thanks meadish. :o

Cheers,

TT

Could you give me a lead on a nice hotel/guesthouse with air, UBC/WeTV, and/or a swimming pool somewhere between the UN Irish Pub street and MM soi 9 that's not really expensive? Oddly enough, I live in that area and am having trouble finding a place with air, good TV, and ideally a pool for my parents who are coming and staying here for 2 months starting around New Year. Last year they stayed at Sri Pat on Soi 7 and were happy with it, but ideally would like a pool so they can take their grandbabies swimming when it's hot. :D

Cheers,

TT

I know very few people who can take the cold water at that time of year - even adults.

I am almost the only person who swims at my fitness center in a major hotel right now. The tourists are freezing and it is only the beginning of November.

I wouldn't worry about a swimming pool until March. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Could you give me a lead on a nice hotel/guesthouse with air, UBC/WeTV, and/or a swimming pool somewhere between the UN Irish Pub street and MM soi 9 that's not really expensive? Oddly enough, I live in that area and am having trouble finding a place with air, good TV, and ideally a pool for my parents who are coming and staying here for 2 months starting around New Year. Last year they stayed at Sri Pat on Soi 7 and were happy with it, but ideally would like a pool so they can take their grandbabies swimming when it's hot. :D

Cheers,

TT

I know very few people who can take the cold water at that time of year - even adults.

I am almost the only person who swims at my fitness center in a major hotel right now. The tourists are freezing and it is only the beginning of November.

I wouldn't worry about a swimming pool until March. :D

Phooey! :D I work up in the mountains and there's a pool here and loads of people go swimming. From 2-5 the water's great! I figure if they need air con for the cold season, surely they won't find the water too cold.... :D My kids, on the other hand, having been born here, squirm a bit.... toughens 'em up :o

• 5 weeks later...
i would appreciate any review of the royal peninsula hotel apartments. I've done a search of the forum and can find little mention of the place. In particular if anyone can compare to Viangbua Mansions.

Much appreciated ! :-)

Nice hotel, crappy area.

It is true the area around Royal Peninsula is not fantastic, but considering it's just north of the eastern corner of the moat, and a 10 minute walk away from the old city I dont think it is a major problem.

Flagging down a red car or (only if necessary) tuk tuk to get somewhere will not a problem. Even better, bring your own wheels or rent them during your stay. I believe 1200 - 1500 baht per day gets you a basic sedan - Toyota Soluna or similar.

10 minutes by car to the Night Bazaar or Kat Suan Kaew, 15-20 mins to the zoo.

It is best suited to somebody who brings their own wheels or who is considering renting them during their stay.

i would appreciate any review of the royal peninsula hotel apartments. I've done a search of the forum and can find little mention of the place. In particular if anyone can compare to Viangbua Mansions.

Much appreciated ! :-)

I stayed in VB for a month - it is out of the way and overpriced. If you have money to burn then it is probably alright...

[

It might be a good idea to book something in advance. With Ratchapruek the town has seemed really busy the last couple of weeks.

Yes ...I'd agree it is busy.

Since I have never previously needed to make reservations in Thailand I flew into BKK at midnight, called 15 hotels got lucky on the 16 th one. They had one room left. I later found out it was due to the air conditioner being broke. Had to wait only 4 hours to fly on expensive Thai airways on standby. Arrived last Saturday in CM....., no rooms anywhere I could find. Rented a m/c and drove to a friend's house near Ma Malai to sleep on his sofa. Went up to Mae Salong.....all booked up.....rode over to Mae Sai...booked up. Finally landed in Chieng Rai to a good hotel. One sore arse later, but with the holiday ending tomorrow it might be feasible to find a bed in CM.

....Ken

thanks UG and everyone else for the info about chiangmai availability. I have plans to visit around 12th to 17th jan...havent booked hotel yet though :D but yes will be in chiangmai for sure....

anyone been to the flora park fair? not that keen to go...but guessing I will be dragged there :D so want to get an idea of how crowded it will be (I dont do too well in crowds :o )