Selling house - What ExPat Husband must sign?

The wife will sell one of our houses while I'm overseas

We have official Thai Marriage Certificate

I understand for the sale to go through, the husband must sign a few documents

I'm leaving soon and the house will be sold while I'm away

Anyone got a list of the documents I need to sign?

I'd like to get this done before I leave if possible (will save on courier services later)

Any help, much appreciated

Who's name is on the title at the Land Office? If it is just your wife's name then you shouldn't have to sign anything.

If in doubt gather up your documents and go to the Land Office and ask. This is where the final transaction will take place.

How did you get around the legalities of buying the houses in the first place?

Nah Cyberfarang nothing out of the ordinary. The wife bought the houses and marriage certs and income statements for the mortgage were some of the docs. I remember signing something and being present at the gov. office

It's all in her name, nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm off soon and heard a signature may be required and wanted to get "ducks in a row" before the bureaucracy scuttled them and then lined them up again as seems to be their way of doing things.

Stretching a metaphor but I'm just trying to plan for whatever nonsense Thai bureaucracy decides to come up with on any given day (a futile pursuit really :) )

We sold our house (wife's name) two months ago and I taught I needed to sign, but that was not the case.

My wife sold her house in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. I traveled to Bangkok and spent several hours in the Government office waiting to sign something, but nothing was required from me.

Looks like there are more than a few Farang who reckon they somehow have an equal and legal share in the wife's property, and have to sign documents before it can be legally sold sad.png

hit-the-fan.gif

You cannot own a house property in Thailand. Therefore, you are not involved in any sale.

Falang can own a house but cannot own the land it is on

You forget this is Thailand

Edited by offset

The document that you signed while purchasing (at the land office) was probably a declaration that you played no part in the purchase and that you have no interest whatsoever in the land. It's standard practice for a foreign spouse.

The land office can provide a power of attorney document for you to sign if needed but it's all in Thai and not intended for foreigner use because of course only Thai people can own land in the first place.

I'm fairly sure that you need play no part in the sale but if you discover something that you need to do ... Please post the information for others to see.

You cannot own a house property in Thailand. Therefore, you are not involved in any sale.

Correct. However, the usefulness of owning a house without owning the PROPERTY it is on escapes me.

The document that you signed while purchasing (at the land office) was probably a declaration that you played no part in the purchase and that you have no interest whatsoever in the land. It's standard practice for a foreign spouse.

The land office can provide a power of attorney document for you to sign if needed but it's all in Thai and not intended for foreigner use because of course only Thai people can own land in the first place.

I'm fairly sure that you need play no part in the sale but if you discover something that you need to do ... Please post the information for others to see.

Yeah I think you're right, thanks for your input

The agent helping to sell the house said best to sign a simple doc saying you want the house sold. Said probably won't use it but because you are away it'll be the easiest thing

I imagine a Thai husband has to sign something as I'd bet there have been instances of spouses selling unbeknown to their spouse.

Agree with most on here that nothing NEEDS to be signed but it's exactly this type of logical thinking that trips you up in this joint :)

We sold our house (wife's name) two months ago and I taught I needed to sign, but that was not the case.

My wife sold her house in Bangkok a couple of weeks ago. I traveled to Bangkok and spent several hours in the Government office waiting to sign something, but nothing was required from me.

Looks like there are more than a few Farang who reckon they somehow have an equal and legal share in the wife's property, and have to sign documents before it can be legally sold sad.png

hit-the-fan.gif

Not at all - it is true there are a lot of Farang who've been totally perplexed by illogical and ridiculous bureaucracy, and plan for every eventuality

Similarly there are a lot of Farang who think they know everything and take every opportunity to snidely advertise that

Correct. However, the usefulness of owning a house without owning the PROPERTY it is on escapes me.

No good to anybody unless an agreement about money can be made before the land can be sold, normally the price of the land would include the house no good buying a house if you cannot use it

Difference is when holding the house and not the land tittle it still give you the right to keep living on the land even when the land get sold ,(falls under land lease act rulling) On the pappers of our house my name is even on it whit a explenation of my rights and that i have these right untill i pass away, than the house will pass to my children.

i dont know you call this procedings in correct english.(not native english speaker).

my lawyer take care of this and all pappers are legal in Thailand ( and all are legalised by thai goverment)

"Difference is when holding the house and not the land tittle it still give you the right to keep living on the land even when the land get sold ,(falls under land lease act rulling) On the pappers of our house my name is even on it whit a explenation of my rights and that i have these right untill i pass away, than the house will pass to my children.

i dont know you call this procedings in correct english.(not native english speaker).

my lawyer take care of this and all pappers are legal in Thailand ( and all are legalised by thai goverment)"

You may need to re-check that bit about the duration of your leased land. It's normally 30 years or your death, whichever comes first. It's also not transferable. If you have something different it would either be of great interest and value to a lot of people ... or... Illegal. Please don't place to much trust in legal advisors over here, some can be as bent as the crooks they serve and protect.

Edited by billphillips