Zimbabwe puts its wild animals up for sale

webfact

Zimbabwe puts its wild animals up for sale

606x341_332361.jpg

HARARE: -- Zimbabwe’s government has said it is ready to sell its wildlife.

People with money and space are being asked to buy animals in a bid to save them because of a devastating drought.

No details have been given about the animals on offer, their cost, and if foreign buyers will be welcomed, but those working in Zimbabwe’s parks say the situation is dire.

Safari Operator Emmanuel Fundira said: “We don’t have sufficient water in terms of looking after the wildlife, we also don’t have sufficient grazing for the wildlife. So naturally we are overstocked in certain areas to a point where we know for a fact that we will end up losing those animals,”

Last year Zimbabwe drew criticism from conservationists when it started selling elephants to China, a country where elephant tusk is prized, in order to raise money.

Conservationist Johnny Rodriguez said: “If they are going to sell internally to our local people, I can’t see many people in Zimbabwe who have got the money to actually pay for these animals. But if it is to be exported, if it is an excuse to export these animals to overseas, then I believe it’s a big problem because these animals belong to Africa and it is a future generation’s heritage.”

In addition to the impact on wildlife, this year’s El Nino-induced drought has decimated crops, leaving four million Zimbabweans needing food aid.

In February, Robert Mugabe’s government declared a state of disaster in rural areas.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-05-12

The first animal up for sale should be Robert Mugabe, he is the rogue that caused this mess in the first place

I agree he is a rogue, but how is he responsible for the drought?

The first animal up for sale should be Robert Mugabe, he is the rogue that caused this mess in the first place

I agree he is a rogue, but how is he responsible for the drought?

Because the he tore up the agricultural land that was managed efficiently in the idea that Africa is black and only black Africans can own and run farms.. From bread basket of Africa to basket case!!

What he caused the current southern african drought...?...suppose you bekieve the CIA controls the weather as well using HARP ?

If he had spent some of the $800,000 he used for his Birthday Bash, maybe that money could have mitigated the effect of the drought. Well drilling for instance

Your absolutely clueless...countries further south are suffering droughts, water shortages and the wildlife is suffering as well and

Uncle Bob has nothing to do with it, or being black or white farmers etc.....this has only made "sexy" headline because of Uncle Bob

Everyone on this site has agreed that the water management in Thailand has been poor, currently and in the past. A drought is only really a problem if your water management is poor. Zimbabwe had good water management until they expelled those with experience. Wildlife reserves had some waterholes with boreholes to add additional water if necessary. All the equipment is now broken because of no maintenance and no spare parts, no future water resource planning has taken place for decades. The strange fact is that most of the wildlife has been killed either for meat, ivory or trophy, so one wonders just what Uncle Bob has left to sell.

Everyone on this site has agreed that the water management in Thailand has been poor, currently and in the past. A drought is only really a problem if your water management is poor. Zimbabwe had good water management until they expelled those with experience. Wildlife reserves had some waterholes with boreholes to add additional water if necessary. All the equipment is now broken because of no maintenance and no spare parts, no future water resource planning has taken place for decades. The strange fact is that most of the wildlife has been killed either for meat, ivory or trophy, so one wonders just what Uncle Bob has left to sell.

South Africa has excellent water management and the likes of the Western Cape have some of the best water management in the world and they are struggling with water supply because of the drought, so please dont comment on what you not know

South Africa has excellent water management and the likes of the Western Cape have some of the best water management in the world and they are struggling with water supply because of the drought, so please dont comment on what you not know

I have seen it all now ! A Robert Mugabe apologist cheesy.gif

Are they having to sell their animals?

Sorry to disappoint you but I worked in South Africa for several years and had friends in Zims who I have visited many times. My work there included ground-water and surface-water quality. So your remark kind of backfires.

Water management planning didn't end in 1992 surely.

You have seen nothing, as not an Uncle Bob apologist, the man should have been killed at birth, i was mearly correcting the geriatric know its alls who are commenting on subject they know sh@t about, the drought in Southern Africa is affecting mutiple countries and nothing to do with water management or Uncle Bob controlling the weather...

And the fact i referred to South Africa and your talking about Mugabe who happens to the President of Zimbawe and seeing as SA and Zim are not the same country this certainly shows your ignorance as well

Edited by Koosdedooes

Sorry to disappoint you but I worked in South Africa for several years and had friends in Zims who I have visited many times. My work there included ground-water and surface-water quality. So your remark kind of backfires.

Water management planning didn't end in 1992 surely.

What are you talking about 1992 ? and your other remarks dont make any sense ? And more importantly where ? Edited by Koosdedooes

You have seen nothing, as not an Uncle Bob apologist, the man should have been killed at birth, i was mearly correcting the geriatric know its alls who are commenting on subject they know sh@t about, the drought in Southern Africa is affecting mutiple countries and nothing to do with water management or Uncle Bob controlling the weather...

And the fact i referred to South Africa and your talking about Mugabe who happens to the President of Zimbawe and seeing as SA and Zim are not the same country this certainly shows your ignorance as well

Trouble with geriatrics is they have long memories and a lot of experience.

As for SA and Zims being different countries, yes true for now, but with the ANC crooks in charge it's looking more of a possibility that SA will go a similar route (to the bottom).

As for SA and Zims being different countries, yes true for now, but with the ANC crooks in charge it's looking more of a possibility that SA will go a similar route (to the bottom).

Thats a completely different debate entirely...and not going to disagree with that, but topic relates to the current drought in Southern Africa and what its doing to the wildlife in Zim and i would add similar things are happening through out the rest of Southern Africa

Thats a completely different debate entirely...and not going to disagree with that, but topic relates to the current drought in Southern Africa and what its doing to the wildlife in Zim and i would add similar things are happening through out the rest of Southern Africa

The current drought is not the first one to hit Southern Africa, this is just the worst for 30 years or so. So what has happened since. I would suggest that a total breakdown in water management planning has caused the current disaster in Zimbabwe and the problem in South Africa has been made worse by the corrupt ANC.

The current drought is not the first one to hit Southern Africa, this is just the worst for 30 years or so. So what has happened since. I would suggest that a total breakdown in water management planning has caused the current disaster in Zimbabwe and the problem in South Africa has been made worse by the corrupt ANC.

Dependent on whose info you read its the worst in 30 years or 100 years and guess it depends where in the sub continent one refers to, certainly round the Cape province in SA its being reported as the worst in 75 years