Death of brothel-visiting new dad electrifies China, forces police to explain themselves

webfact

Death of brothel-visiting new dad electrifies China, forces police to explain themselves
Philip Wen
China correspondent for Fairfax Media

Beijing: When do you know your country's police force has a major credibility problem? Perhaps when the court of public opinion sides instead with a man alleged to have visited a brothel just two weeks after his wife gave birth to their first child. On their wedding anniversary.

The murky death of 29-year-old Lei Yang while briefly in police custody has set social media in China alight, with accusations of police brutality resonating widely and propelling the case into what is now a major national news story.

And what should have been a routine police bust of an illegal brothel masquerading as a foot massage parlour in outer-suburban Beijing has instead shone a rare light on the extent of the public's distrust in law enforcement, in a country where the police, judiciary and media are all controlled by the government, and where the police has a reputation for operating above the law without being hold to account.

Full story: http://www.theage.com.au/world/death-of-brothelvisiting-new-dad-electrifies-china-forces-police-to-explain-themselves-20160511-got19a

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2016-05-12

oh I thought this was a story about Thailand. And then I see it is a story about Thailand.

This one was actually not about Thailand, it was about China.

Kind of hard to tell the difference at times.

Not so hard. Just look for key words like Thailand and China.

oh I thought this was a story about Thailand. And then I see it is a story about Thailand.

I think you missed his point.

"police had found from the scene a condom with his DNA."

Easy to see how could confuse with Thailand..... I wonder how many used condoms they collected? This seems the police "protesteth too much".... is it normal procedure to collect used condoms after a brothel bust?

"police had found from the scene a condom with his DNA."

Easy to see how could confuse with Thailand..... I wonder how many used condoms they collected? This seems the police "protesteth too much".... is it normal procedure to collect used condoms after a brothel bust?

....and to quickly test them for DNA?

I think you missed his point.

thanks HLover. smile.png

where the police has a reputation for operating above the law without being hold to account.

This is a problem in most countries of the world...democratic and none-democratic...makes no difference...give a man a badge and the laws of the land no longer apply to him...

Police are under the micro-scope in America because of a history of corruption, cover-ups, planting evidence and just plain aggressive behavior when none is called for...

Who is watching the police? Every private citizen with a cell phone...cell phone videos have changed the landscape for police bent on brutality...

The arrested man hassled with police because he had to get to the airport to pick up his relatives. Police don't like to be hassled. Confrontation led to suspect being beaten to death. That's my spin based on the sketchy story in the OP. Sex or no sex, doesn't matter. The police beat an innocent man to death. That's why Chinese netizens are angry, and so they should be.

.......in a country where the police, judiciary and media are all controlled by the government, and where the police has a reputation for operating above the law without being hold to account.

Hmmmm...So it is true..... A parallel universe does exist....Thailand and China...same, same....lol

Cheers

Really?

And have you read the full story?

I have and even in the small print I couldn't find any reference to Thailand.

Perhaps you were reading a different post.

Not if you can read English it isn't.

Edited by billd766

Not if you can read English it isn't.

Reading English and understanding English are two different things. This forum isn't a good place for subtle humour.

Edited by whaleboneman