Why a Canadian man run over by a truck in Thailand is struggling to get treatment

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an O + blood donor and an Apheresis Blood Donor, with 84 donations in Cape Town to my name. Can't donate here, I have lived here for ten years, BUT I am 56. What a load of crap, cant even help to save somebodies life here? I hope the Gods take note at this failing.

I am an O + blood donor and an Apheresis Blood Donor, with 84 donations in Cape Town to my name. Can't donate here, I have lived here for ten years, BUT I am 56. What a load of crap, cant even help to save somebodies life here? I hope the Gods take note at this failing.

Who says you cannot donate and for what reason ?

https://english.redcross.or.th/node/49

I see nothing in the link which would prevent you donating other than, perhaps, a risky lifestyle.

Get the poor guy to another clinic. There has to be other options.

All the bigger provinces have a blood bank, where the hospitals usually get their blood from.

There are other options and I'm sure that thousands have heard of this tragic accident with the same blood group, but they don't give a flying buffalo kee about it.

Another problem might be that people on a holiday do not seem to be in the mood to stop partying "just to help this poor guy by donating blood."

Would they spread the word in Russian, German and some other languages, it wouldn't take that long.

I would go and donate blood, but I've got a different blood type and had a hepatitis C a long time ago.

I see nothing in the link which would prevent you donating other than, perhaps, a risky lifestyle.

Risky lifestyle my word. The only risks I take here are getting out of my shower onto a smooth tiled floor with wet feet, going down my stairs in my house and driving a car. I was told " Too old." 56 going on 57. End of story, not up to me. TIT, their rules.

Risky lifestyle my word. The only risks I take here are getting out of my shower onto a smooth tiled floor with wet feet, going down my stairs in my house and driving a car. I was told " Too old." 56 going on 57. End of story, not up to me. TIT, their rules.

According to you, you were 46 years old when you arrived in Thailand, so why the sudden interest in donating blood ?

I'm sure the Thai Red Cross sees some logic in their rules; unfortunately, many on the outside can't. Must be under 55? At least six months in the country? And when I offered blood - my age didn't seem to be a factor - being in the U.K in the eighties and early nineties was seen as an issue, despite my having been here for over twenty years.

My group is A+, but my son's is AB-. Don't know whether that would be any good.

I'm sure the Thai Red Cross sees some logic in their rules; unfortunately, many on the outside can't. Must be under 55? At least six months in the country? And when I offered blood - my age didn't seem to be a factor - being in the U.K in the eighties and early nineties was seen as an issue, despite my having been here for over twenty years.

My group is A+, but my son's is AB-. Don't know whether that would be any good.

The chap is said to A Rh- which means he can only accept blood from those who are also A Rh- or from those who are O Rh-

Your son is "lucky" and can receive blood from anyone who is Rh-

Many Blood Banks around the world reject potential donors who may have been exposed in the UK to "mad cow disease" ( Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease)

Edited by johnatong

Curious about the O Negative. O Neg is a universal donor. It's a vital component of every single hospital level response everywhere. Perhaps O Neg not always available, but it's always desired. Always. It's far more important then any other type that's why failing to find his specific ABO grouping they can use O Neg.

So, the idea that his pressing surgical needs are postponed because they need his ABO group (best scenario) or universal donor blood, does not make sense. This means that there's zero O Neg Universal Blood stock anywhere, or no one has looked elsewhere. There may be an explanation, but the above is 100% correct regarding O Neg and what's in the OP.

I earnestly hope if O Neg is needed they give it to this man. Can't process how none is available- anywhere.

Talk is cheap..

Obviously you just took the word of the sister and others here and were never turned down by the Thai Red Cross in person or by phone call.

So, just stay home and feel proud of youself, pat yourself on the back!!

At least it crossed your mind to donate your special blood..

P.S.

If it were true that you were not allowed to donate blood in Thailand...

You would have been more specific, then saying:

I was told I couldn't!

Edited by D3030

What are the reasons for the Thai Red Cross's refusal to take blood from people over 55 and from people who have not been in Thailand for 6 months? On the face of it, these things sound absurd, and this man may die because of them.

I started donating blood when I was 35 in the UK. After 2 donations I was banned from donating because I travelled too widely (on business and in the classiest hotels imaginable!). Once I stopped work I came to reside in Thailand at the age of 55.

Oh well. nice try!

Did you find a blood donor for me, Doctor?

Yes.

Great! Can I get the transfusion today?

No.

Why not?

No have.

Why?!

Donor old mak mak.

So? What does that matter?

Cannot.

Why not?

(Smiles) cannot.

How old is the blood donor?

I am also 55 years old. Please give me the blood I need. I could die.

Cannot. (Laughs).

I started donating blood when I was 35 in the UK. After 2 donations I was banned from donating because I travelled too widely (on business and in the classiest hotels imaginable!). Once I stopped work I came to reside in Thailand at the age of 55.

Oh well. nice try!

Baloney !

You were not "banned" from donating blood in the UK because of 'travel'.

If that were so virtually every serving soldier, airman and sailor would be "banned" alongside many other people, like those who travel extensively as part of their employment as geologists, engineers etc.

Oh well. nice try!

Baloney !

You were not "banned" from donating blood in the UK because of 'travel'.

If that were so virtually every serving soldier, airman and sailor would be "banned" alongside many other people, like those who travel extensively as part of their employment as geologists, engineers etc.

It is amazing how far the Thailand apologist agitprops will go to spin even minor negative comments on Thailand.

I am Canadian

If I was in Phuket I would go visit him in the hospital and befriend the man.

I do not have that blood type but support and encouragement is always helpful in times of need.

If there are any Canadians in the area it would be nice of you to visit that man.

Cheers

I'm a 39 year old Canadian living in Rayong. I have A- blood and I'm really willing to help but I can't go to Phuket. If I can donate blood here and it can be sent to phuket I'll donate right away. PM me if you still need A- blood.

I'm a 39 year old Canadian living in Rayong. I have A- blood and I'm really willing to help but I can't go to Phuket. If I can donate blood here and it can be sent to phuket I'll donate right away. PM me if you still need A- blood.

Contact the hospital, 1719.