Frenchman Held For Killing Thai Girlfriend Attempts Suicide In Prison

sriracha john

Frenchman Held For Killing Thai Girlfriend Attempts Suicide In Prison

BANGKOK - A French national charged with stabbing his Thai girlfriend to death tried to kill himself at the Bangkok prison where he has been detained for two days, police said Tuesday.

Unemployed Arthur Bordoni, 26, from Paris, was arrested Sunday and confessed to stabbing his girlfriend Manita Aswapanuwat, a 21-year-old university student, at their Bangkok apartment during a drunken row.

Police have charged Bordoni with killing with intent, Pichet Pusinpaiboon, a deputy chief of Bangkok police, told AFP. The Frenchman tried to commit suicide late Monday, Pichet added.

"He made a noose with the string from his shorts and tried to kill himself due to stress. Fortunately, the attempt failed after other prisoners became aware of the incident and told the police," Pichet said.

"So far, none of his relatives have arrived from Paris. The man has not elaborated further details of the killing since he confessed to killing his girlfriend," he added.

Police said Bordoni stabbed Manita in the chest following an argument during which the Frenchman accused his girlfriend of having an affair with another man.

After the killing, Bordoni called his father in France and asked him to contact the French embassy in Bangkok for help. The embassy appointed a lawyer to defend Bordoni, Pichet said.

"The police will take Bordoni to court today to ask for further detention," he said.

Bordoni had entered to Thailand several times on a tourist visa, with his last entry on August 5 this year.

- AFP

As he had already tried to commit suicide once, why on earth was he put in a cell with the drawstring still in his shorts? Whilst it is unlikely that he would be put on suicide watch, surely they would remove articles that could be used to harm himself.

Standard practice in a UK cell is to remove anything that could be used in that manner - shoelaces, belts, chains. If there had been an earlier suicide attempt he would be in the hospital or have someone watching him constantly.

Not being knowledgable in Thai criminal law, and wishing to remain that way, the charge puzzles me.

"Killing with intent" ? Why not murder? Is it because it was in the heat of the moment rather than premeditated thus making it the equivalent of manslaughter? I've not heard the term before and it strikes me as being odd as the intent of killing is to kill.

Anyhow we are in no doubt that he is somewhat deranged, whether he is in that state because of recent events or was he descending into that state which is why he killed her we'll never know.

Not being knowledgable in Thai criminal law, and wishing to remain that way, the charge puzzles me.

"Killing with intent" ? Why not murder? Is it because it was in the heat of the moment rather than premeditated thus making it the equivalent of manslaughter? I've not heard the term before and it strikes me as being odd as the intent of killing is to kill.

Anyhow we are in no doubt that he is somewhat deranged, whether he is in that state because of recent events or was he descending into that state which is why he killed her we'll never know.

Legal concepts often cannot be translated directly, because the underlying reasoning is not exactly the same. The Anglo-Saxon judicial system has its own terms which are specific to that sphere, and along the same lines, German law, French law etc. have their own categories.

My guess is that the translation is either incorrect because the translator is not familiar enough with Anglo-Saxon law to know all the correct distinctions used to differentiate cases of killing, or because it was necessary to translate it differently in order to show that the Thai legal system has a different scale and reasoning behind the crime designations.

Silly, poor kid is really out of his depth and a long, long way from home. :o He's in hel_l right now.

Maybe says a lot that none of his family have turned up either? Mere conjecture, i suppose.

He deserves to be in hel_l for what he did.

Elsewhere it says his brother has flown over and they've hired a lawyer.

As he had already tried to commit suicide once, why on earth was he put in a cell with the drawstring still in his shorts? Whilst it is unlikely that he would be put on suicide watch, surely they would remove articles that could be used to harm himself.

Standard practice in a UK cell is to remove anything that could be used in that manner - shoelaces, belts, chains. If there had been an earlier suicide attempt he would be in the hospital or have someone watching him constantly.

This is not the UK... :o

It would be way to easy for him to escape justice by commiting suicide.

I hope that he will get what he deserves given by the Thai justice.

But it 's a strange system here. A girl that murder her boyfriend will have

more problems than a man who kills his girlfriend.

As for a farang man who murdered a Thai girl, once he steps in "the Hilton", no matter how long he s suppose to do, he shouldn't get out (alive).

Edited by Soundworks

This is not the UK... :o

Really??? Wondered why I was so hot all the time here. :D

My point is that it is extremely irresponsible to leave someone, who is in your care, and who is clearly suicidal with something that they could use to harm themselves with.