Truck driver killed in train crash in Surat Thani

webfact

Truck driver killed in train crash in Surat Thani

13219737_10154217362633637_1955527631_n-

SURAT THANI: -- A pickup truck driver was killed when his truck was rammed by a Bangkok-Butterworth passenger train at a railroad crossing in Thacharng district of Surat Thani province shortly after midnight Thursday.

Killed in the terrifying level crossing crash at 1.30 am was Mr Chalard Thongsom, 32, a resident of Surat Thani.

The incident happened at the level crossing near Wat Amparam Thung-ao in Tambon Klongsai.

Witnesses told police the Mitsubishi Triton pickup truck ran on the railway crossing just at the same time when the train approached.

The truck was hit in the middle, throwing the driver out of his truck.

He died on the spot near his badly damaged truck.

The incident did not disrupt the train service as the Bangkok-Butterworth train No 35 was allowed to continue its journey to the South after rescue workers cleared the track and sent the dead to nearby police station awaiting identification by relatives.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163932

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-19

Trains are called silent killers. You really don't hear them. When i was young I was walking along a train track at night. I step off it to the side and moment later a train wizzed by and I did not hear it coming! I was very lucky I wasn't killed. I guess it wasn't my time. I very aware of them.

What do they teach you in driving school (even in Thailand) when you do cross an unsecured railroad:

STOP before, look both ways and listen (open your window too). Anything doing different is Russian roulette.

my two cents.

Archived