School trains Thai kids about being locked in vans

School trains Thai kids about being locked in vans

post-137452-0-23312500-1463669485_thumb.

Image: Daily News

AYUTTHAYA:-- Staff at a Bang Pa-In school have been instructing young children in what to do in the event they are stuck in a school van.

The move comes after yet another case last week when a child died after being forgotten about in the heat only to be discovered dead in a van at the end of the school day, Daily News reported.

Pre-kindergarten and kindergarten children of the Aekoryothaya school in Ayuthaya learnt how to press the horn to attract attention and how to open the doors of private cars as well as school vans.

School director Sathinee Pongaksorn said that managers, teachers and assistants all joined in to help the children in the case of an emergency. As each child managed the tasks there were cheered and encouraged by their friends.

Sathinee said that the school has given strict training to van staff in procedures connected to the running of the school's van service including the use of log books to record who is on the journey and where pick-ups can and cannot be made.

Source: Daily News

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-19

Is it me, or does this seem like something very basic to do as a van driver?

I know. This happens all over the world. We'll let the others around the world discuss that on their country's forum. I know, I know - it's also good to educate the kids because the adults in these cases are so feckless. But I can't help but feel that the emphasis is now on the kids being educated on this and not the drivers. A sad state of affairs.

How about training the drivers and "assistants"? or do 3 and 4 year olds have more comprehension?

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

is there something about this you don't comprehend?

Sathinee said that the school has given strict training to van staff in procedures connected to the running of the school's van service including the use of log books to record who is on the journey and where pick-ups can and cannot be made.

Good on them for taking the initiative in order to protect their young charges. Let's hope it catches on.

It doesn't seem anyone can do right in this country, according to the usual suspects.

How about training the drivers and "assistants"? or do 3 and 4 year olds have more comprehension?

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

Good on them for taking the initiative in order to protect their young charges. Let's hope it catches on.

It doesn't seem anyone can do right in this country, according to the usual suspects.

My gosh, I have risen to the hights of a "usual suspect".

Whilst I appreciate the actions I would prefer to see a press release stating "following a campaign to raise awareness etc... dangers to children etc... pleased to report...after 1 year.... no deaths reported."

I live in hope and I will be more than happy to eat my own words.

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

as you have NO comprehension of how it is here:

post-233765-0-73512900-1463672569_thumb.

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

People are angry and upset. Rightfully so. One child dying in a hot van is one too many. A second is unforgivable. We apply common sense when allowing ourselves to trust in something or someone's reputation. We make these judgements based on past history and information. Not wishful thinking.

If distrust upsets the ones who have a responsibility or the ones who take them at their word, then good. It keeps everyone sharp.

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

People are angry and upset. Rightfully so. One child dying in a hot van is one too many. A second is unforgivable. We apply common sense when allowing ourselves to trust in something or someone's reputation. We make these judgements based on past history and information. Not wishful thinking.

If distrust upsets the ones who have a responsibility or the ones who take them at their word, then good. It keeps everyone sharp.

I'll have to get back to you.

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

as you have NO comprehension of how it is here:

yeah I know, and I look after them too. I have had the same pair for 46 years!

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

So they will use log books! Kind of like the vans do for travelling within Thailand. Or perhaps like the truckers do. Surely you have seen both kids of drivers using logs? They wait until they deliver or before a check point or just at the check to update it all. Useless in this circumstance if this happens. And just when does the school check those logs against who is really in the vans? Would that be almost the same as allowing students to do roll call prior to the teachers arrival in the class? This is most common in classes and is also fudged daily. Just saying the drivers will be trained and made to create logs doesn't mean anything in Thailand. Thais don't like extra work and they are resistant to changes. Only time will tell but I sense more deaths this way happening again in the near future.

What about teaching the kids to tell the drivers to slow down,they pass me many times on the wrong side of road at dangerous places ,I would never let my kids sit in the school buses,I not understand how some of the parents not seem to care.

Just how big is a school van for gods sake...!!!...surely none of the tragic deaths would have occurred if said driver...took 15 seconds to open the side door and have a quick check to see that all the children are out of the van....how hard is it to do that?

These deaths have been caused by the person responsible for driving the van...the driver...!!

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

It is sad when 3 and 4 year old children have to be more responsible than the people who are supposed to be in charge. Maybe they should teach them to drive as well and put the adults in the back

One doesn't wish to appear rude to all those good van drivers , but Christ what sort of donkey dicks are driving these vans , just how do you leave a young'un in searing heat in a van , is there any checks on these idiots, like have they got any brains , are they educated and have they got a father , because anyone leaving youngsters or even pets in vehicles at 40c heat, is a bastard................................................coffee1.gif .

Erm. Question 1.Too hard

Question 2. Yes.

It is sad when 3 and 4 year old children have to be more responsible than the people who are supposed to be in charge. Maybe they should teach them to drive as well and put the adults in the back

Unlocking the door after the horse hasn't bolted. Let's see how long this lasts after all the publicity has died down. The truth is that Thais are very careless of their children, being used to extended families, where someone is always keeping an eye. My wife has often turned up with some kid, even baby, in tow. I'm a firm believer in the principle that you don't trust anyone with kids or animals. If you have to, then you make damn sure they know you're holding them accountable.

Did you miss this bit in the OP or do you need glasses?

Quote "Sathinee said that the school has given strict training to van staff in procedures connected to the running of the school's van service including the use of log books to record who is on the journey and where pick-ups can and cannot be made."

Hard to judge. Before I came here I was told to look upon all Thai adults as being 5yoa. After 9 years living here I realise they were right, certainly in the common sense department.