Self assessment

Hi I'm applying for a settlement visa for my wife I came across the self assessment category and I'm not sure if it applies to me, I'm employed by Nopalaver and Umbrella company I work only in the UK and only have one source of income, and definitely not self employed, do I need to fill out a self assessment form? Hope someone has an answer as this has me perplexed

You only need to complete a tax self assessment form if you are self employed or have unearned income which is not tax at source.

You say that you are definitly not self employed but employed; so presumably pay your tax through PAYE.

As an employed person, you come under the relevant to you part(s) of 5. Salaried and non-salaried employment of the financial appendix and need to supply the specified evidence required for the way(s) in which you are meeting the requirement.

See also Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence

You are employed through an umbrella company. Be aware that it is likely that only your basic salary will count towards the financial requirement. Your "expenses" travel, etc, will not count. It is also likely that the umbrella company is only paying you the minimum wage as your salary, and the rest of your income is through another "vehicle, a loan account, or something similar. If so, then your salary may well not meet the 18,600 GBP requirement.

Hi Again I have a question about the Appendix FM section 1.7 I would just like to know if it is still a current document? I'm having a hard time trying to find it on the GOV UK website, no problem finding it on Google, if it's still current I can relax Thanks everyone

When you say self assessment are you talking HMRC self assessment of the visa application. I am extremely surprised that you are not completing one and I am not sure who is advising you. I have stayed well clear of umbrella companies. I fail to see what the advantage is over a limited company.

Hi Everyone one last question I have applied for a settlement visa for my wife is it possible to apply for a priority Visa services?

Yes you can, it costs an extra £450, assumingly in US$. You might want to check how long applications are taking before you spend this extra cash, and double check the chance of the application being succesful

Priority Visa Service - Settlement Visa

This service allows settlement visa customers to pay for their visa application to be placed at the front of UKVI Bangkok’s settlement queue and for their application to be processed ahead of other (standard) settlement visa applications. Your dependents can also apply for this service at the same time as you but they will also have to pay an additional Settlement Priority Visa Service fee. The fee for this service, in addition to the visa fee, is set by parliament at £450 per customer.

http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/user_pay_services.html#15

Hi Everyone, I just received a reply from UK visa saying UK visa authority have made a decision on your visa and how to pick-up our documents, my question is is this a standard letter if you have a visa or have been declined the visa

You only need to complete a tax self assessment form if you are self employed or have unearned income which is not tax at source.

You say that you are definitly not self employed but employed; so presumably pay your tax through PAYE.

As an employed person, you come under the relevant to you part(s) of 5. Salaried and non-salaried employment of the financial appendix and need to supply the specified evidence required for the way(s) in which you are meeting the requirement.

See also Immigration Rules Appendix FM-SE: family members specified evidence

As long as his salary is paid at 18,600 gross per year. A lot of umbrella companies pay 10,900 per year from what we have seen.

Indeed; if his employed salary is less than £18,600 p.a. he would have to make up the difference from some other source and provide the required evidence for that.

Moot, anyway, as his wife's application was successful.

Best wishes, Bryan, for your future life together in the UK.

I'm a Ltd company and pay myself a basic salary of £10,600 per year. I take in excess of 42k in dividends per year. Do they take into consideration the dividend payouts as a form of income?

Yes, from the financial requirement

4. Sources for meeting the financial requirement
4.1. Ways of meeting the financial requirement

Income from self-employment, and income as a director of a specified limited company in the UK, of the partner (and/or the applicant if they are in the UK with permission to work). This is referred to as Category F or Category G, depending on which financial year(s) is or are being relied upon. See section 9 of this guidance.