Hillside Plaza 4 = Lost Money

Condosforsale

I'm writing this to warn others of the mistake that would be made purchasing a flat in Hillside Plaza 4. My mistake was purchasing two without first living there. This was a serious error. Besides being overpriced, the construction is quite substandard! :D

Yesterday the electrial power went out (again, as it does most every week,) at 10PM but this time it didn't come back on until 11:30 this morning. Tonight, there is barely enough water pressure to run the shower. These are constant occurances. :D

Add to this the lack of parking under the building, except on Saturday or Sunday, the loss of mail by the fron office, the poor housekeeping service, (three charwomen can spend two hours in one loo chatting, then finish the entire rest of the room in five minutes, leaving cobwebs all along the ceilings, dust under the beds, and mud streaks from the quick mop without a rinse of the living room floors.

I made a mistake. Don't you do the same. Steer clear of Hillside Plaza 4 if you are looking to make a purchase. On the other hand, if you want to overpay for low quality investment property, this is the perfect place as there are dozens of empty flats just waiting for another fool like me. :o

Simon Wright

Edited by Condosforsale

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're comments reiterate everything I have written in another thread today.

I am not in the market for a unit as I have had one for ten years but it's to be hoped that prospective purchasers take heed of what you have said.

And I echo the comments made by Rasseru with regard to you having posted a warning whilst you might be wanting to offload any time soon.

I'm writing this to warn others of the mistake that would be made purchasing a flat in Hillside Plaza 4. My mistake was purchasing two without first living there. This was a serious error. Besides being overpriced, the construction is quite substandard! :D

Yesterday the electrial power went out (again, as it does most every week,) at 10PM but this time it didn't come back on until 11:30 this morning. Tonight, there is barely enough water pressure to run the shower. These are constant occurances. :D

Add to this the lack of parking under the building, except on Saturday or Sunday, the loss of mail by the fron office, the poor housekeeping service, (three charwomen can spend two hours in one loo chatting, then finish the entire rest of the room in five minutes, leaving cobwebs all along the ceilings, dust under the beds, and mud streaks from the quick mop without a rinse of the living room floors.

I made a mistake. Don't you do the same. Steer clear of Hillside Plaza 4 if you are looking to make a purchase. On the other hand, if you want to overpay for low quality investment property, this is the perfect place as there are dozens of empty flats just waiting for another fool like me. :o

Simon Wright

oh your just making stuff up. I live in Hillside 4 and the power was out for maybe an hour. When there is a power outtage its not just the building. Try looking out the window to see that other properties don't have power either. Its fairly rare but there have been two outtages in the last week or so. Moving to another building is not going to change that.

Water pressure? It does vary but I live on the 14th floor and never had trouble taking a shower.

Never lost a single piece of mail here ever.

I use a private house cleaner and she is the greatest. 1 hour of hard work for 100 baht. Never a complaint and she does great massage also for 150 baht an hour.

I think your exaggerating at the least because the power was not out like you say.

You're comments reiterate everything I have written in another thread today.

I am not in the market for a unit as I have had one for ten years but it's to be hoped that prospective purchasers take heed of what you have said.

And I echo the comments made by Rasseru with regard to you having posted a warning whilst you might be wanting to offload any time soon.

To be honest, I don't feel good about the idea of selling these. Yes, it is a significant monetary loss, but how can I dump this garbage on others and still consider myself an ethical human being? I may rent them for short term (a few days or weeks) as renters won't notice such problems, or be bothered in the long run. I have other properties that I buy and sell. Those, God willing, will cover my loses.

Simon Wright

>> oh your just making stuff up. I live in Hillside 4

..... and have for almost a full week now, right?

>> and the power was out for maybe an hour.

Off at 10:05 PM. Returned at 11:25 AM the following morning.

>> When there is a power outtage its not just the building. Try looking out the window to see that other properties don't have power either.

Lights everywhere, even at the restaurant behind Hillside 5, across the street at the new constructions where the old movie theater was, and next door at Nakornping Condo. This was the ONLY building affected by the outage. As usual.

>> Its fairly rare

And this is proof that you haven't lived here more than a few weeks.

>>but there have been two outtages in the last week or so.

In truth, it has gotten better. There used to be two outtages per day. Now it's down to one or two a week. Blessing for small gifts.

>> Water pressure? It does vary but I live on the 14th floor and never had trouble taking a shower.

I'm sure. But when I use the term shower, I don't mean a screw-up.

I mean standing under a water showerhead with heated water. This certainly isn't the case here. You must have been using a bucket and a sponge!

>> Never lost a single piece of mail here ever.

In a week, how much could you have even been sent?

>> I use a private house cleaner and she is the greatest. 1 hour of hard work for 100 baht. Never a complaint

Of course not! Not if you're going to pay her almost a full day's wages for one hour's work! How long have you actually been in Thailand? Please don't insult our intelligence.

Simon Wright

Lights everywhere, even at the restaurant behind Hillside 5, across the street at the new constructions where the old movie theater was, and next door at Nakornping Condo. This was the ONLY building affected by the outage. As usual.

Next door at Nakornping? Next door to what? Hillside 4 is a mile away from Nakornping.

I'm writing this to warn others of the mistake that would be made purchasing a flat in Hillside Plaza 4. My mistake was purchasing two without first living there. This was a serious error. Besides being overpriced, the construction is quite substandard! :angry:

Yesterday the electrial power went out (again, as it does most every week,) at 10PM but this time it didn't come back on until 11:30 this morning. Tonight, there is barely enough water pressure to run the shower. These are constant occurances. :angry:

I made a mistake. Don't you do the same. Steer clear of Hillside Plaza 4 if you are looking to make a purchase. On the other hand, if you want to overpay for low quality investment property, this is the perfect place as there are dozens of empty flats just waiting for another fool like me. :realangry:

Simon Wright

oh your just making stuff up. I live in Hillside 4 and the power was out for maybe an hour. When there is a power outtage its not just the building. Try looking out the window to see that other properties don't have power either. Its fairly rare but there have been two outtages in the last week or so. Moving to another building is not going to change that.

Water pressure? It does vary but I live on the 14th floor and never had trouble taking a shower.

Never lost a single piece of mail here ever.

I use a private house cleaner and she is the greatest. 1 hour of hard work for 100 baht. Never a complaint and she does great massage also for 150 baht an hour.

I think your exaggerating at the least because the power was not out like you say.

I know several people who live in Hillside Plaza 4, and all report the same conditions. All describe it as shoddy construction with poor quality electical service. Almost all that I know have been stuck in broken elevators, keep flashlights in every room, and can't be bothered to reset electric clocks or timers as it becomes a never ending task because of the power failures.

The Fly Fisherman

Next door at Nakornping? Next door to what? Hillside 4 is a mile away from Nakornping.

It is possible that he was referring to the condo just on the other side of the meadow to the east of Hillside Plaza 4. Perhaps he just doesn't know the name. That condo is only a few hundred meters away. I don't even know its correct name! :o

The Fly Fisherman

I always find it interesting that some folks fall all over themselves in the rush to be culturally correct...and shoot the messenger. Indeed, they have learned well...that's exactly what real born-and-bred "experts" from Thailand do.

You know, it could be that the OP has a point. Don't string him up quite yet.

>> oh your just making stuff up. I live in Hillside 4

..... and have for almost a full week now, right?

>> and the power was out for maybe an hour.

Off at 10:05 PM. Returned at 11:25 AM the following morning.

>> When there is a power outtage its not just the building. Try looking out the window to see that other properties don't have power either.

>> Its fairly rare

And this is proof that you haven't lived here more than a few weeks.

>>but there have been two outtages in the last week or so.

In truth, it has gotten better. There used to be two outtages per day. Now it's down to one or two a week. Blessing for small gifts.

>> Water pressure? It does vary but I live on the 14th floor and never had trouble taking a shower.

I'm sure. But when I use the term shower, I don't mean a screw-up.

I mean standing under a water showerhead with heated water. This certainly isn't the case here. You must have been using a bucket and a sponge!

>> Never lost a single piece of mail here ever.

In a week, how much could you have even been sent?

>> I use a private house cleaner and she is the greatest. 1 hour of hard work for 100 baht. Never a complaint

Of course not! Not if you're going to pay her almost a full day's wages for one hour's work! How long have you actually been in Thailand? Please don't insult our intelligence.

Simon Wright

2 years a Hillside 4. And the power outtage for me was a little over 1 hour. I think your BS'ing

Bravest post ever if you're for real mate.

I mean, you still OWN the two places...but you've just knocked 20% off the price.

You're either very, very rich...

Very, very stupid...

Or...

Very, very honest.

I'll presume the latter :o

That's funny, the exact opposite possibility -- only a possibility, mind! -- leaped out at me. That is, that he is rather very, very poor, very, very smart and very, very dishonest, and that in fact he does not own any place there at all, but rather hopes to buy one soon at the 20% discount he just engineered. :D

I mean, you still OWN the two places...but you've just knocked 20% off the price.

Very, very stupid...

Or...

Very, very honest.

I'll presume the latter :D

That's funny, the exact opposite possibility -- only a possibility, mind! -- leaped out at me. That is, that he is rather very, very poor, very, very smart and very, very dishonest, and that in fact he does not own any place there at all, but rather hopes to buy one soon at the 20% discount he just engineered. :D

perhaps the maid is willing to take a pay cut as well. :o

Very, very stupid...

Or...

Very, very honest.

I'll presume the latter :D

perhaps the maid is willing to take a pay cut as well. :o

Motivations aside, that condominium complex is the most depressing piece of real estate I've ever been to. It feels like you're walking into a mausoleum.

People I know who live there, tell me they must keep their aircon on 24/7 as they don't dare ever open a window because all manner of noise/dust/smog will enter. Curtains must be drawn all the time they say as the glare from the sun raises room tempertures tremendously. It's like a f'ing crypt as far as I can tell. That said, prices there have risen considerably, and I can only put it down to speculation as I personally cannot for the life of me think of why anyone would want to live there save for hoping to find a greater fool.

Edited by lannarebirth

My mistake was purchasing two without first living there.

OK you made a mistake.

No biggie.

How much is your mistake worth.

How much do you want to sell the condo's for now.

To somebody who is fully informed about the condition of Hillside 4.

Cheers

Motivations aside, that condominium complex is the most depressing piece of real estate I've ever been to. It feels like you're walking into a mausoleum.

the glare from the sun raises room tempertures tremendously. It's like a f'ing crypt as far as I can tell.

You know some funny crypts and mausoleums :o

Cheers

Very, very stupid...

Or...

Very, very honest.

I'll presume the latter :)

He's already said that won't sell these units as he doesn't want to pass off the problems to some poor unsuspecting buyer. I have to presume the latter as well.

I noticed today as I was driving by that they have finally opened the right side entryway to the building. It had been blocked off for the past two years because of falling facing stones. If you look up at the left side, you can still see one area that is still missing its facing stone. A slab of marble that size must hurt if it hits you falling from that height.

Visiting friends in that building I've noticed that a lot of the suspended lighting isn't supposed to be suspended, it's just not installed correctly, the mortar around the elevator buttons on several floors doesn't cover the opening for the button panels, and often one or more elevators is out of order. Nothing out of the ordinary for Thai construction though. That's what I've noticed from just visiting. What would I notice if I lived there? Besides the gloom of the lobby, that is, and the heat of the rooms. Of course the lovely music coming up from the buffet restaurant at 160 decibels means you save money on having to play your own radio, and the smells from the BBQ go very well with French, Mexican, and Italian dishes my friends have cooked. Not.

Buy into that place? No thanks. Overpriced even if it were in perfect condition. On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being ready for condemnation, I'd rate that place about a 12.

The guy who says he's been living there for two years and happy with it must be a glutton for punishment.

The Fly Fisherman

He's already said that won't sell these units as he doesn't want to pass off the problems to some poor unsuspecting buyer.

I know people who live there and LOVE the place.

Doesn't it smell a little fishy when OP says he HATES the place and has explained his reasons why, but has no interest in selling to another poster who is "fully informed of the conditions at Hillside 4"? :o

To be honest, I don't feel good about the idea of selling these. Yes, it is a significant monetary loss, but how can I dump this garbage on others and still consider myself an ethical human being? I may rent them for short term (a few days or weeks) as renters won't notice such problems, or be bothered in the long run. I have other properties that I buy and sell. Those, God willing, will cover my loses.

Simon Wright

Hmmm. So people you rent to won't notice all these alleged regular power cuts and lack of water?

"Renters" are actually more vulnerable. They may be in Thailand for the first time, not able to speak the language, and there you are renting "garbage" to them - strange ethics you have (assuming your situation is genuine).

Edited by Whenin Tha

This has been the best topic on the CM forum for weeks.

Why not sell them? That's what people usually do with property they have no need for.

That true. Many people buy cars that turn out to be lemons, and can't wait to foist them off on someone else. They may put heavier weight grease in the transmission to make it act smoother, or seal up rust holes with cola cans instead of sheet metal, spreading mud over the seal so it can't be noticed, perhaps turning back the speedometer so it appears less used.

Other people are more ethical. To each his own karma.

Tourists usually don't see the problems that exist in Thailand, even those who come for a month or two at a time. But when you actually live in LOS, you begin to see the cracks in the pavement quickly.

From my own experience, vacationing here for many years, the first month living here was as if I was in a completly different place than the one I vacationed in. Renting for a week or two, it's almost exciting when the light go out, and enjoyably primitive when there is no water. You know you only have to put up with it for a day or two, and then move on to another part of the vacation. Living here is a horse of a different color. Many come. Few stay. It's easy to be a tourist in Thailand. It's not easy to be a long term resident. Many that leave, leave with empty pockets. Other leave via the Big Jump in Pattaya. How many this year alone?

Interesting to note that so many people who talk about being ripped off here say that they were done in by farang, not by Thais. Hmmmmmm...... Do we see this in this thread? To each his own karma.

The Fly Fisherman

He's already said that won't sell these units as he doesn't want to pass off the problems to some poor unsuspecting buyer.

I know people who live there and LOVE the place.

Doesn't it smell a little fishy when OP says he HATES the place and has explained his reasons why, but has no interest in selling to another poster who is "fully informed of the conditions at Hillside 4"? :whistling:

Doesn't smell fishy to me. Seems more like he doesn't want these to be passed on, period. Perhaps he can afford the loss. More power to him. I admire that attitude, and wish I could afford the luxury of having the same.

If he sells them to another poster who is "fully informed of the conditions at Hillside 4," I think we can be sure that this other poster would be planning to sell them to someone not so well informed. Perhaps he doesn't want to perpetuate this con game, and is able to absorb the loss himself.

The going price in Hillside 4 is remarkably high. At 1.5 mil for a 45 sq meter empty room, this certainly is no bargain building, but certainly is no luxury condo either. These rooms are being rented, when they can find renters, (the majority seem to be empty,) for 8,000-10,000 baht. You can find brand new three bedroom houses along the middle ring road renting for that if you can speak the language.

The Fly Fisherman

What makes anyone think the construction at many other condos around town is any better?

I currently rent at the Nakornping Condo ( a few 100 meters from Hillside 4) and the huge cracks in the wall indicate a serious problem. I'm sure Hillside 5 is no better, having sat unmaintained for several years.

I haven't been to Hillside 4 since April when I rented there for 6 months. There were 3 or 4 power outages when I was there, usually in the middle of the night. I only recall one during the day that lasted more than a few minutes. In the 6 months I was there, there was only one day when there wasn't enough water pressure for a shower and the building management notified us in advance that they were doing work. As for the heat, that comes with most building with a Mountain (west) View. You want a cooler apartment? -- get one with a city view. Fisherman, the rightside entryway to the building hasn't been closed "two years". I lived there and used that entry until January 2006. Yes, it was closed after that. maybe sometime in early 2005 too, but certainly not Oct/Nov/dec 2005. i givethem credit for closing it as a safety hazzard. Most places would just take their chances.

I can't wait for the problems to start showing up at Twin Peaks.

Just browsing the CM forum and had to add my 2 cents. The OP just registered his username, "Condosforsale", but yet he refuses to sell his condos? Why register that name in the first place? Something smells mighty fishy here! BTW, I know nothing of Hillside Plaza 4 so have no opinion on how good or bad it is.

Edited by Soju

I have owned at Hillside 4 for 18 months now and do not recognise the claimed regularity of power outages or loss of water pressure. Neither do I have to have my air-con on 24/7, and I often have my windows open and enjoy the lovely view from my balcony. Neither do I have mail stolen or suffer from other problems as described in the earlier posts - often written by people who don't actually live at Hillside.

I chose Hillside after a careful evaluation of other condos such as Rimping and Riverside and took advice from local property agents and Thai friends. I am very happy there. It is not perfect, but the best condo block I looked at which fitted my needs.

In the last 12 months I have been approached on two occasions by people who said they were interested in buying my condo - but I do not want to sell. I find the management and security staff (who always find a space in the car park for me) very helpful.

If the OP is genuine and his posts sincere, then I ask him to point me to the advert of the details of the 2 condos he is trying to sell, as I may be interested. As said above, the very choice of his Username suggests a commercial rather than a charitable intent to his posts. If the place is so (obviously) bad, why did he buy 2?

Thank you