Pak Chong,-Khao Yai or Korat city as a Home Base

bolt

Simple question which I think will be a not so simple answer

I’m looking at relocating my Thai wife and her small family, where we are just now doesn’t have much of an future for her kids (chai badan) so I think we should move to a city which will give her kids a chance later for proper job.

My options are Pak Chong,-Khao Yai or Korat city

I want to be able to play golf and be abused(verbally) by fellow expats, 2 times a week.

From what I’ve learnt so far, Pak Chong is typically more expensive than Korat city. From housing and golf etc

I don’t mind travelling 1 hour to play golf, but the social side is slightly different, meeting up after the game is it a bar or is it around the houses, like a change of venue each week for example.

I’ve experienced Pattaya for 15 years, visited Nong Khai several times, and witnessed the normal expat (retired) golfing life.

I’ve made 100’s of trips with expat golfers around Thailand, but that doesn’t really reflect real life.

I want quiet (ish) location, Not too far for shopping, 1 hour driving for golf

I imagine it has to be about money at the end of the day, but worth a post to see what the other guys say

I know the area you talk about very well.

First question, is it about finding jobs for her family?

If so forget it.

Pak Chong and Khao Yai are two of the most more hyped, over priced and over rated places north of Bkk, much loved by property types, in all honesty, nothing special.

In all honesty, Korat is a dump,

What is it you want?

Better going to Bangkok, north of the city, Chiang Mai, or Pattaya area (Bang Saen).

If you must go to Korat, suggest you head for Pak Thong Chai, just south of Korat, Rooks golf course is just up the raod.

Not mentioned, naam teuam korat, that means flooding to you and I, not mentioned lack of water in korat, not mentioned the bloody heat and dust.

Korat, no thanx, much better places in Thailand to live.

Too be honest, I really cant understand why you picked out these 3 places.

Do you live in Thailand full time, or are you a FIFO type of guy?

Can't see the benefit of moving from Lop Buri province to any of the places you've stated.

May as well head to one of the bigger cities in Issan Khon Kaen or Udon Thani if you want opportunity.

Edited by NongMalee

Can't see the benefit of moving from Lop Buri province to any of the places you've stated.

May as well head to one of the bigger cities in Issan Khon Kaen or Udon Thani if you want opportunity.

Concur, persoanally I would rather live in Lop Buri than the 3 places mentioned.

If he wants golf and opportunity, head to Ayyutahya.

Thanks for the honest comments, I'm thinking of the family living within 1 or 2 hours drive back to Lopburi. However Chang Mai was my favourite place, but initially seemed to far away. To be honest I have about 3-4 years to decide, I'm not full time in LOS yet, I'll be working hopefully for another 10 years at least.

• 3 months later...

Don't know why posters call Korat a dump. I have been living here for 10 years and moved here from Pattaya. Great place to live as it has just about everything you need. No tourists so things are priced reasonably. Terminal 21 and Central Plaza are building malls and will open soon. The Mall is expanding by 33%. Golfing is great and cheap and we have expat groups that play on Tuesday and Friday. There is anywhere from 8 to 12 players of all varying degrees. PM me if you want more info.