Best Way to Switch jobs / cancel work permit

Hello all,

I'm currently working for a school and would like to give 1 month's notice so that I can start working for a Thai company.

I have a feeling the school is not going to make things easy so I want to be able to do this myself if possible. I've read on another topic that I can cancel my own work permit without any documents from the school, is that correct?

My visa is a Non-O and the school has been extending it for the last 3 years or so. So I assume, the extension will finish if I stop working? Or is a Non-O a special case?

If I have to leave as soon as I turn in my work permit, where would be the best/easiest/cheapest place to get a tourist visa?

I understand from a previous topic that I can transfer the tourist via to a Non-B although it's a little more complicated than getting a non B outside the country?

Also, where can I find a list of documents that I would need to get a Non B outside Thailand? I am the first foreign employee at the Thai company so I'm sure they will need some help learning about the process involved.

Thank you

The most important thing you will need from the school is a letter stating your last day of work. You can cancel the work permit yourself.

Is your job going to in the same province where you teaching now? If not it will complicate changing to a new employer.

The fact that you have been extending a non-o visa entry changes nothing. What was the non-o based upon? If married to a Thai that could make things a little easier.

Your new employer would have to apply for work permit for you and obtain a work permit application letter.

Then you could go to immigration with the letter from the school on before your last date of work to have your current extension cancelled. As soon as that is done you would apply for new extension with supporting documents from your new employer and the work permit approval letter.

After the extension is done you would cancel your work permit and the new one could be issued.

What is needed to get the non-b visa will depend upon where you apply for it. As an example Vientiane requirements can be found here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B%20business.pdf

The most important thing you will need from the school is a letter stating your last day of work. You can cancel the work permit yourself.

Is you job going to in the same province where you teaching now? If not it will complicate changing to a new employer.

The fact that you have been extending a non-o visa entry changes nothing. What was the non-o based upon? If married to a Thai that could make things a little easier.

Your new employer would have to apply for work permit for you and obtain a work permit application letter.

Then you could go to immigration with the letter from the school on before your last date of work to have your current extension cancelled. As soon as that is done you would apply for new extension with supporting documents from your new employer and the work permit approval letter.

After the extension is done you would cancel your work permit and the new one could be issued.

What is needed to get the non-b visa will depend upon where you apply for it. As an example Vientiane requirements can be found here. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/upload/pdf/Visa/Non-B%20business.pdf

What if they .won't provide the letter?

The job will be in a different province

It was based on marriage. I got divorced years ago and the school was still able to extend. I had to provide the divorce certificate each year.

Interesting. I wonder if the stars would align to make this happen!?

Thank you for the link

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Is you job going to in the same province where you teaching now? If not it will complicate changing to a new employer.

It was based on marriage. I got divorced years ago and the school was still able to extend. I had to provide the divorce certificate each year.

Thank you for the link

Without a letter your only choice would be to go out for a new visa or a visa exempt entry.

A different province would mean dealing with 2 work permit offices and 2 immigration offices unless your current office covered both provinces.

Not being being now will not help.

It is possible but not always easy.

Thank you for the link

Without a letter your only choice would be to go out for a new visa or a visa exempt entry.

A different province would mean dealing with 2 work permit offices and 2 immigration offices unless your current office covered both provinces.

Not being being now will not help.

It is possible but not always easy.

Go out for new visa or visa exempt but not nong khai or mukdahan right? They wont stop him there if he has no termination letter?

"My visa is a Non-O and the school has been extending it for the last 3 years or so. So I assume, the extension will finish if I stop working? Or is a Non-O a special case?"

"It was based on marriage. I got divorced years ago and the school was still able to extend. I had to provide the divorce certificate each year. "

So the school extended your Non-O based on marriage, even though you are divorced and had to prove it?

Are positive what kind of extension you are on?

"My visa is a Non-O and the school has been extending it for the last 3 years or so. So I assume, the extension will finish if I stop working? Or is a Non-O a special case?"

"It was based on marriage. I got divorced years ago and the school was still able to extend. I had to provide the divorce certificate each year. "

So the school extended your Non-O based on marriage, even though you are divorced and had to prove it?

Are positive what kind of extension you are on?

Seriously, ask yourself the question, " how can I be on an extension of stay based on marriage when I prove that I am divorced?".

What you have said makes no sense at all.

Edited by muzmurray

Hi, 3 quick questions.

Is there a template for the last day of work letter somewhere so that I can get the school to sign it?

Will I have problems at the airport immigration if I try to leave without a re-entry permit? Will they ask for proof of cancelled work permit?

if I can't get the letter and try to leave for a tourist visa, will that cancel my visa / work permit and not cause any problems for my future Non B and work permit?

Hi, 3 quick questions.

Is there a template for the last day of work letter somewhere so that I can get the school to sign it?

Will I have problems at the airport immigration if I try to leave without a re-entry permit? Will they ask for proof of cancelled work permit?

if I can't get the letter and try to leave for a tourist visa, will that cancel my visa / work permit and not cause any problems for my future Non B and work permit?

I have seen no template. It can be a few lines simply stating your name and passport number ant that on the date written you will no longer be working for them.

If you leave from an airport you will not be asked for the termination letter.

Leaving without canceling you extension will have no effect in the future. The work permit could be a problem but you can cancel that yourself by submitting a cancellation form to the work permit office.