Good Places To Visit Outside Chiangmai

hong

San Kham Peng

..Hot Springs...

Dip you toes in the water (sulphur springs) feels great afterwards.

You can also buy eggs in the small wicker baskets and cook them in the very hot one...loaf of bread and some tomatoes and you have eggi sarnies..... :o

After that take a short drive up to the Muang Cave and do a climb into the inside of the mountain...lots of sacret Buddist objects...real COOL...

If after all that you are still on the go you can take a run round the Mae-On dam (but No fishing ..I have the permit :D )and then have a drive through the best kept secret national park in LOS...

Mae Takrai...I simlly go in via the back door....wot door?

Great views with the mountain heights going from 400> to over 2,000 metres.

Lots of wildlife including wild boar,monkeys,gibbons,rabbits and lots & lots of flowers and birds...parrots,bitterns,owls...etc....and my personal favourite ...TIGERS..... :D

rent a bike .. ride beyond Doi suthep - go beyong the king villa , go beyond Dio pui ...

and go on into the mountian abd go beyond the opium garden .. and go beyond into the mountian of chang keang .- right inside there is a coffee plantation.. verynice place to check it out.. if you don't lost your way .

REM .. TURN LEFT !!!!!! at a UNMARKED Y junction ..

i discover it by chance when i was riding into the mountain alone .. and found tis beautiful place ..

after the Coffee plantation .. you can ride on .. but will Hit a DEAD END the road is Destory by land slide and maybe earth quake .. but before that , there is a water fall .. beautiful place .. as in no tourist at all ..

You can't enter with a CAR .. afte rthat point .. try a 150 cc bike with high clearrance .--

there is a part where you need to do down and up hill but i clear it with my OLD honda dream ..

need good brake an good tire ..

DO NOT TRY ON RAINY DAYS >.

alway go with someone in case you need help ..

i am just crazy to go alone ..

rent a bike .. ride beyond Doi suthep - go beyong the king villa , go beyond Dio pui ...

and go on into the mountian abd go beyond the opium garden .. and go beyond into the mountian of chang keang .- right inside there is a coffee plantation.. verynice place to check it out.. if you don't lost your way .

REM .. TURN LEFT !!!!!! at a UNMARKED Y junction ..

i discover it by chance when i was riding into the mountain alone .. and found tis beautiful place ..

after the Coffee plantation .. you can ride on .. but will Hit a DEAD END the road is Destory by land slide and maybe earth quake .. but before that , there is a water fall .. beautiful place .. as in no tourist at all ..

You can't enter with a CAR .. afte rthat point .. try a 150 cc bike with high clearrance .--

there is a part where you need to do down and up hill but i clear it with my OLD honda dream ..

need good brake an good tire ..

DO NOT TRY ON RAINY DAYS >.

alway go with someone in case you need help ..

i am just crazy to go alone ..

This is the one that i know... :o

The Duang Dee Coffee Story

In the past, Large Development Programs promoted coffee growing in many small hill tribe villages, in northern Thailand, as a cash crop replacement for opium growing, as it can be stored for a long time. However thousands of the finest coffee trees were abandoned or cut down as many of the small and most remote farmers , who produced the best beans, had no ready market to sell their premium raw coffee beans.

This problem is now solved!

Lots of good info from tit lads at Duang Dee :D

http://northernthailand.com/duangdeecoffee/index.html

Interesting, I've been there and actually managed to drive a big 4x4 down that road, the one that ends up near Mae Sa Nai (not the one ending up at Huay Tueng Thao reservoir). This will have been before any landslide, but still very hairy at the beginning, just past the big Royal Project grounds.

So this waterfall, where is it? SUppose I'm standing at the intersection on the dirt road where the Chang Khiang hill village is to the right, the big Royal Project on the dirt road towards the left. Then what? Is this close to the Royal Project?

But anyway, my favorite places include:

+ Ob Khan national park (there's a big rocky gorge there where you can swim)

+ The Trekker's Lodge area near Mae Kachang (techniclaly Chiang Rai province, but a lot closer to Chiang Mai city than Chiang Rai city)

+ The road past Pai to Mae Hong Son

Places I don't care for that much:

- Doi Inthanon in the dry season, especially if you're not going to be venturing of the main road

- Chiang Rai town

- The (*#$(%$&(!! Sankamphaeng Hot 'Spring'.

- Chiang Mai Night Safari

- Mae Sa Disneyland (the elephant farms and monkey schools and orchid shows and other hoopla)

San Kham Peng

..Hot Springs...

Dip you toes in the water (sulphur springs) feels great afterwards.

Hmmm, hotsprings.

There is a secret wee hotspring at Ping Koung. Turn LEFT just before the intersection over to Phrowe and into a lane amongst the small cluster of houses that heads to the Maenam Ping.

Not left on the paved road leading towards Nong Oak and Myanmar.

The hotspring is actually in the river's edge. Not overly impressive, but in the middle of a winter evening bring a shovel to dig a trough and with a dozen beer you can lay back and watch the few locals smile at you. The adjacent land is owned by a group of Bangkok doctors who will not sell.

...Ken

Hi,

Pretty much a newbie in Chiangmai, could anyone give directions, can I go by motorcycle, car to

these sites etc. ?

Thanks!

Agree that Ang Khang is great.

Also Chiang Dao (cave and temple) are good.

Ob Khan national park

San Kham Peng

You'll find the routes to Chiang Dao and Doi Ang Khang on this map:

http://www.budget.co.th/pdfs/worldclass_golden_eng.pdf

There are other maps of Chiang Mai and environs pinned at the top of this Chiang Mai section.

- Not sure when did you drive you Big 4x4 Up .. but it was some time ago when i ride up maybe about 2-3 years ago , i did re-visit the place again - last years ..

Is way after the KIng villa - after Doi Pui ..

you got to go right in .. at some point you will see a see a spacy are wher eyou can get a great view . at the whole mountian area .. ( all this is before the change keang village ( coffee plantation ) -- the road get really narrow . lot of down and up hill .is easy by far for bike . but might be tricky for cars ( jeep )

RIght after the chang keang village - i think is almost impossble to travel by any Bike or Big 4x4 .. ( i did not caculate the distance but it was just a really less then an hour ride out before i hit dead end and the rocky path that look like a land slide or earth quake . huge rock .. stacking up like a gaint stair . ( i think there is another junction .. after the village that lead to a smaller village - no idea what is it name .. but i recall a a few houses and i think what look like a school or something or maybe a open shed - with kids .. whahah a

i even had a hard time trying to walk .. 1 km up and down the destoryed road ...

i can see it used to be a ROad . leading some where .. by the land slide and maybe earth quake . had totally destory the road.....

The place is way afte the KIng Villa .

AT the unmarked junction which turn LEFT into the CHang keang village ..

You can get really fresh coffee . and till that point i think Car is still possible

(4X4 ONLY . at your OWN RISK ) in some way ..

Whahhahah forget if you renting a Corolla , or civic or ford forget about it .

But not sure if beyond ..

you can go some distance on Bike. and i think if you on a scrambler you might go abit more then me .

try to stay one night at the village if you wanna go beyond the .. leav early so you have alot of time to make it back ..

is winter in thailand now and the days get dark real early ..

alway make sure .. if you are going out to unknown location .. give yourself a backup plan ,

eg.. 3-4 hour to travel and 4-5 hour to make it back if you hit a dead end ..

the track look all diffrent at night if you travellin out to unknown TRUST me on this .

Edited by Ta22

Hi,

Pretty much a newbie in Chiangmai, could anyone give directions, can I go by motorcycle, car to

these sites etc. ?

Thanks!

Agree that Ang Khang is great.

Also Chiang Dao (cave and temple) are good.

Ob Khan national park

San Kham Peng

A nice day’s drive is the loop from Chiang Mai to Phrao to Chiang Dao and back to Chiang Mai.

Drive round the super highway and turn off on road 1001 that is sign posted Phrao (this road is next to Ram 2 hospital). Phrao is 100 km away and is a pleasant drive through some lovely scenery. At Phrao turn left to Chiang Dao which is roughly another 50 km. Turn left at Chiang Dao for the return journey. Alternatively turn right at Chiang Dao and follow the road all the way to Chiang Rai for some great views of valleys / mountains etc.

What is Doi Ang Khan?

Thank You!

http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/7153/cmaidoi1.htm Click included links as well.

I very much enjoy travelling in the north of Thailand and I would offer this one piece of advice to new travellers. Take the time to read a book(s) on the migration of peoples to that area. Whether they be KMT, Han Chnese, Karen or Tai Yai. Some background to the people you see and the history of the region makes the trip that much more enjoyable.