Thailand, China Step Up Military Cooperation

webfact

Thailand, China Step Up Military Cooperation
Ron Corben

BANGKOK: -- Recent military agreements between Thailand and China are sparking speculation about the depth of their defense cooperation.

Chinese Defense Minister and State Councilor General Chang Wanquan and his Thai counterpart, Prawit Wongsuwan, held talks this week on the sidelines of the ASEAN Defense Ministers meeting in Laos.

Analysts say the meeting confirms that recent agreements are designed to strengthen cooperation; but they caution Thailand is unlikely to become overly dependent on Beijing for its military needs.

Full story: http://www.voanews.com/content/thailand-china-military-cooperation/3346960.html

-- Voice of America 2016-05-27

"Recent military agreements between Thailand and China are sparking speculation about the depth of their defense cooperation."

Smartest move since the 1939 Germany-Soviet Union non aggression pact.

Hope Thais have better luck learning Mandarin than they do learning English.

Will LoS pass on what they learn about the US Navy from the anti-submarine exercises ?

Not sure NKK but given the political climate between US and Thailand, I'd say very little would be given away that the Chinese didn't already know about.

Meanwhile just to the East of Thailand , the US is strengthening military ties with Vietnam, who haven't got much time for China....................................coffee1.gif .

Who would you rather have as your military ally?

One, who expelled the Chinese, Japanese, French, Americans, etc.

The other..."Welcome. What's mine is yours. Please don't hurt me. Is there anything else I can get for you?"

thailand is very good at playing 2 side off against each other. this is probably why they have never been colonized (or so thais claim) with weapons sales a big part of the US and chinas economies thailand can wrangle for the best prices in return for forging alliances. will be interesting to see if they ever give up their m16/m4 rifles for AK47s.

Meanwhile just to the East of Thailand , the US is strengthening military ties with Vietnam, who haven't got much time for China....................................coffee1.gif .

The other..."Welcome. What's mine is yours. Please don't hurt me. Is there anything else I can get for you?"

All I am saying is what is on the news , all I know mate, If I treated my friends like Thailand is doing to it's friends , I'd soon have none., as for Vietnam's history you believe that it is a given right to let someone else invade your country, right

thailand is very good at playing 2 side off against each other. this is probably why they have never been colonized (or so thais claim) with weapons sales a big part of the US and chinas economies thailand can wrangle for the best prices in return for forging alliances. will be interesting to see if they ever give up their m16/m4 rifles for AK47s.

What Siam did was a series of smart delaying tactics to stave of colonisation. What the current regime is doing is setting the stage they hope for cheap Chinese knock offs. But nothing will stop the inevitable break up once the cement is gone. Most of Our Countries are used to deploying Peace keepers. Just depends which piece you want to keep

All I am saying is what is on the news , all I know mate, If I treated my friends like Thailand is doing to it's friends , I'd soon have none., as for Vietnam's history you believe that it is a given right to let someone else invade your country, right

Actually, I think we are in agreement. I would want an ally who has a history of standing up for itself. Not one who needs a baby sitter or a John.

Actually, I think we are in agreement. I would want an ally who has a history of standing up for itself. Not one who needs a baby sitter or a John.

And the Thai Military is such a professional Organisation. Sorry need change my undies peed myself laughing. Any military that relies on conscripts is inherently weak and unreliable as most Nations have found out. Thai Military is just an enhance Police Force to suppress their own Population.

"Recent military agreements between Thailand and China are sparking speculation about the depth of their defense cooperation."