Security/Privace related discussion for ALL OS/Platforms

ttac

I can't control how the discussion is going to go in this thread, but I've noticed that asking a simple question on TV like "Where can I get a loaf of fresh bread in <insert town/city>" Can get people really upset.

How about we have this discussion and keep it civil? We all have our favorite OS and platform and we all have some strong dislikes. Linux pays my bills (well..used to), We use Android tablets and phones, and I have and enjoy completely a Windows laptop and PC. I like all those OS/platforms for various reasons.

I'd like to discuss the privacy policies of the various platforms and what you do to limit what they know about you (how you use your device, what you do, where you go, etc). Or, maybe you are completely at ease with using all the technologies, your life is an open book. Again, let's not bash each other for our choices.

-

I starting looking more in to the privacy of Windows 10 when I ran across some concerns about torrents and other type feeds. Kodi, Showbox, those types of apps are streaming (and can download) content that is...frowned upon by certain companies and organizations? I read an article on zdnet about Windows 10 claiming that Windows 10 will send ALL your data to Microsoft: http://www.zdnet.com/article/bittorrent-tracker-blocks-windows-10-users/ . 3 days later, same site posts a more realistic view and one with which I am comfortable: http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/. They still can search/collect data when you are using their services like onedrive. That affects me since I use Onedrive quite a bit...but, it doesn't affect me since I have nothing to hide. I also use Outlook as my primary email and use appropriate discretion for any discussion going over that channel.

But... I thought I'd still go in and shut off EVERYTHING on my Windows 10 Privacy settings. Note on Privacy settings. NOT everything can be set in the privacy setting I just found out. If on Windows 10, bring up the search bar and type in Cortana to bring up Cortana and Search settings. I *still* had to turn off: Device Search History.

Unfortunately, that doesn't shut off everything sent to Microsoft. Specifically, in the Feedback and Diagnostic settings, you can't opt out completely to sending device data to Microsoft. The least information laden setting is "Basic".

From Microsoft: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/feedback-diagnostics-privacy-faq

"

• Basic data is data that is vital to the operation of Windows. This data helps keep Windows and apps secure, up-to-date, and running properly by letting Microsoft know the capabilities of your device, what is installed, and whether Windows is operating correctly. This option also includes basic error reporting back to Microsoft. Basic data includes:

• Configuration data, including the manufacturer of your device, model, number of processors, display size and resolution, date, region and language settings, and other data about the capabilities of the device.

• The software (including drivers and firmware supplied by device manufacturers), installed on the device.

• Performance and reliability data, such as how quickly programs respond to input, how many problems you experience with an app or device, or how quickly information is sent or received over a network connection.

• Network and connection data, such as the device’s IP address, number of network connections in use, and data about the networks you connect to, such as mobile networks, Bluetooth, and identifiers (BSSID and SSID), connection requirements and speed of Wi-Fi networks you connect to.

• Other hardware devices connected to the device."

Seems like there is still the possibility for a lot of data to be sent that a person would not really want to be sent.

For me, I'm going to start using a VPN 100% at the least. I'll probably build a Linux VM, for any streaming/downloading.

So, what are your risks and concerns with Google? I haven't looked in to it too much, but Google's whole business plan is built on collecting your personal information. I'm obviously OK with part of that since I use Android products and make use of the Google store. I find it more confusing with limiting what information is collected by Google/app makers. Window 10 gets a lot of scorn thrown it's way for all the privacy settings. But. They are very easy to switch off. How do you do it in Android..at least the latest Marshmallow version? App by app. And there is no obvious "off an on". It switches from one version of dark gray to light gray. For any Chrome users on Android, go check your app permissions. I just spent quite a while going through all permissions. I'm wondering what happens when apps get updated. I'm guessing permissions get reset.

Curious what voice inputs you have sent to Google? Go here: https://history.google.com/history/audio I somehow managed to switch all that off so it was empty for me. Curious if anything is there for others and I wonder if that is *really* all the voice data that is collected :-). There isn't an obvious place for Microsoft to actually *see* and *hear* what is being sent if you are a Cortana user (a little disturbing..but I don't use Cortana). You can go here though: http://www.bing.com/account/personalization and clear certain things, including Cortana cache if you have a Microsoft account (I do).

Link to Google Privacy Policy: http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/ Microsoft Privacy statement: https://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/privacystatement

Right now, seems most of the stuff we worry about isn't a big deal for most people, but it is a big deal as big data is analyzed and companies/governments make decisions based on all that data. I wonder what would happen if everyone in the world that used a connected device did the maximum they could do to hide their personal information. It's obvious people are getting more clued in by how hard/cumbersome it is becoming to change privacy settings. Seems like many of us want to be disconnected in a connected world and that is becoming harder and harder to do.

Edited by ttac

With any computer that I have one of the very first things I do is disable anything that sends my information to a 3rd party. It is a pain going through everything but worth it in the end. I do leave crash reporting but that is it. Cortana in Windows 10 sends a lot of information to Microsoft if you enable it, I disable it.

Sites such as Facebook, Twitter etc I dont use. I find them far more annoying than useful.

For private matters ie Banks and the like I always use a VPN.

I am sure stuff does get through but I do minimize it as far as possible

Edited by gandalf12

It's basically hopeless. The OP already knows the scoop about Windows and knows how to setup a linux VM. So, the best workable solution is straightforward: use the windows vm for whatever you have to use windows for and the linux vm for everything else. VPNs have their uses, but preventing info leaks back to Google or MS is not among them. Android was designed to enable Google to collect your usage data. There are methods to restrict the permissions on an application by application basis such as the Xprivacy module of the Xposed system. If you are looking for a time-consuming new hobby you can follow these instructions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/security/tuto-how-to-secure-phone-t2960077

It will drive you mad however. You'll be breaking apps all the time while you attempt by trial-and-error to determine the minimum permissions each must have. And you'll have to do it over everytime the app gets updated. Better to install Cyanogen or some other OS that comes without the Google apps, if available for your Android phone. Either way good advice would be not to run email or bank apps on the Android phone.

@CaptHaddock, yup, ultimately running on Linux, then running a VM for anything Windows related is the absolute best way to protect your privacy. But.... there are not a whole bunch of people out there that have the technical know-how to do that and most just want to turn on a device and use it. I think I'll play with Cyanogen on one my phones and see if I can get to an acceptable setup.

There are a lot of very 1-sided arguments that Microsoft is, in effect, "spyware". Google, Apple, Microsoft (Ubuntu tried to dip their toe in the pond and got their johnson spanked)...They are ALL doing it (seems more acceptable with Google/Apple?). I'm comfortable that I'm not 100% under the radar, but that comes with using all of Microsoft services. I didn't realize how much information Google was really collecting. I was kind of hoping some folks who are avid Android users would check out that Google Voice link and report back if they were surprised what was being collected. Unfortunately, one can't do that with Microsoft and the Cortana voice cache (can clear only). It's also pretty surprising all the different places one has to go within the Microsoft system to check settings if you are using a Live account. Not up at all on Apple products, but reading online, seems that Apple collects quite a bit of information as well and if you are a SIRI user, it looks like all your voice converstations are being collected. http://thehackernews.com/2015/03/apple-siri-voice-data-sharing.html.

I'm comfortable at the moment. I like the convenience of my Microsoft and even Android based products and services, but I could unplug and go Linux without too much pain and loss of convenience.

i recently watched a video on youtube from a guy named barnacules, in his video he gives a step by step turorial about privacy settings on windows 10.

might be interesting to you or some other viewers concerned about their privacy.

he used to work for microsoft so i think he knows what he's talking about.

here is the link:

hope it's useful to someone.

cheers