New Pub In Chiang Mai

millwall_fan

I found a new pub in Loi Kroh Rd last night. It s got Guiness, Tiger and a couple of other things on draught- I had a few pints of Chang. The owner's a Welsh geezer, but dont hold that against him, he's Ok. The place looks great- piccys of old Chiang Mai etc. Foods not brilliant, I guess that'll improve as things go on, worth a look though- its a few hundred metres down Loi Kroh from the moat.

I found a new pub in Loi Kroh Rd last night. It s got Guiness, Tiger and a couple of other things on draught- I had a few pints of Chang. The owner's a Welsh geezer, but dont hold that against him, he's Ok. The place looks great- piccys of old Chiang Mai etc. Foods not brilliant, I guess that'll improve as things go on, worth a look though- its a few hundred metres down Loi Kroh from the moat.

Oh!! now I see..... If in fact it is the "Olde Bell" that is :o

Edited by john b good

So this is the "Olde Bell"? Besides yourself were there any other customers. Just what Chiang Mai needs....another bar/pub. Wonder how long it willbe before it goes on the market.

Is it actually new as in 'new', or do you mean you noticed it for the first time?

There's a couple of bars (1-3) that opened or changed hands in the last year or so on the South side of Loi Kroh on the moat end. None of them are really going anywhere.

Pretty much anything past the Mayflower (more a resto than bar, but affordable wine) on that side is kind of struggling.

Cheers,

Chanchao

It is new and somewhere near the middle of Loi Kroh Road on the Ba Ba Ba Boh Bar side. It is a double size shophouse, so easy to spot.

What Chiang Mai REALLY needs is some attractive girls to work in the Farang venues. There are virtually no stunners these days: they are getting worse and worse! :o

It is new and somewhere near the middle of Loi Kroh Road on the Ba Ba Ba Boh Bar side. It is a double size shophouse, so easy to spot.

What Chiang Mai REALLY needs is some attractive girls to work in the Farang venues. There are virtually no stunners these days: they are getting worse and worse! :D

Yes!! But they are not gonna work for 4K - 5K baht a month when they can pick up 30-40K a month peddling their flesh.

You have got to capitalise on what you got when it is in prime condition (well haven't you?) :o

What Chiang Mai REALLY needs is some attractive girls to work in the Farang venues. There are virtually no stunners these days: they are getting worse and worse! :D

Yes!! But they are not gonna work for 4K - 5K baht a month when they can pick up 30-40K a month peddling their flesh.

You have got to capitalise on what you got when it is in prime condition (well haven't you?) :D

I am personally aquainted with one of the best looking hookers in Chiang Mai and she claims that all the Kareokes and Japanese Bars pay low salaries and charge the customers insane prices (4,000-5,000) baht to take the girls, but the girls only get a small amount of the total price (600-1,500) baht and the girls have to go all night if that is what the customers want.

Seems like they would be better of going short-time with a bird-crap farang and getting most of the money. :o

You have got to capitalise on what you got when it is in prime condition (well haven't you?) :D

I am personally aquainted with one of the best looking hookers in Chiang Mai and she claims that all the Kareokes and Japanese Bars pay low salaries and charge the customers insane prices (4,000-5,000) baht to take the girls, but the girls only get a small amount of the total price (600-1,500) baht and the girls have to go all night if that is what the customers want.

Seems like they would be better of going short-time with a bird-crap farang and getting most of the money. :D

"and the girls have to go all night if that is what the customers want" I'd be expecting her to be with me all night if it was costing 5K :D

On the other hand you could make a private arrangement with the girl and have her come by when she gets off work. That way you are both winners. It costs you less and she gets to keep all the money. :o

I am personally aquainted with one of the best looking hookers in Chiang Mai

Name and location please :o

She keeps trying all of these Japanese and rich Thai venues, but has become fed up with being ripped off and plans on returning to John's Place/Cozy Corner next month.

That is all the hints I'm giving! :D

Name and location please :D

She keeps trying all of these Japanese and rich Thai venues, but has become fed up with being ripped off and plans on returning to John's Place/Cozy Corner next month.

Should be enough :o

Should be enough :o

She wont be that hard to spot will she? Ive never noticed any stunning girls in Johns Place/Cozy Corner!!!!:D

Should be enough :D

She wont be that hard to spot will she? Ive never noticed any stunning girls in Johns Place/Cozy Corner!!!!:D

Exactly she’ll be the only beautiful one so get there early boys :o

Should be enough :D

Exactly she’ll be the only beautiful one so get there early boys :o

Nam, in the upstairs bar is quite cute. :D

So this is the "Olde Bell"? Besides yourself were there any other customers. Just what Chiang Mai needs....another bar/pub. Wonder how long it willbe before it goes on the market.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Millwall Fan (hate!hate!). I popped into the Olde Bell a few Sundays ago and tried out the Sunday lunch (see pic) have to say it was a pleasant surprise. All the usual trappings, enough to fill a rumbling stomach and as near to a Brit Sunday lunch as you can find anywhere in CM. A fair selection of wines at reasonable prices and a good variety of beers. Good to see competent competition on the block.

Come on BB give 'em a chance, nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, unless you're one of the competitors! Cynicism they'll get plenty of, support is what they need. At the end of the day it's us punters that benefit if they do the business. Have a look in and let us know what you think.

post-37991-1163804325_thumb.jpg

Come on BB give 'em a chance, nothing wrong with a bit of healthy competition, unless you're one of the competitors! Cynicism they'll get plenty of, support is what they need. At the end of the day it's us punters that benefit if they do the business. Have a look in and let us know what you think.

Blinky Bill is well qualified to give an expert opinion. He used to own Chiang Mai's finest ever Irish/British pub - The Escape - along with the infamous Eddie.

The best BBQ ribs Thailand has ever known with giant portions and selling for practically nothing. What a great place.

Unfortunately for us, he is out of the food business these days and doing something involving flying airplanes for a lot more money.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Millwall Fan (hate!hate!). I popped into the Olde Bell a few Sundays ago and tried out the Sunday lunch (see pic) have to say it was a pleasant surprise. All the usual trappings, enough to fill a rumbling stomach and as near to a Brit Sunday lunch as you can find anywhere in CM. A fair selection of wines at reasonable prices and a good variety of beers. Good to see competent competition on the block.

I was in last night and apart from being somewhat too hot inside, outside was cooler, the Olde Bell is a welcome addition. Plenty of customers, good staff and the wine and beer list is impressive. Guiness on draft is always a plus. Will try the food next time.

Nice lounge area ideal for watching a bit of footie on the TV (then drown your sorrows when the Toon get beat again). :o

Looks like it could be a very reasonable watering hole.

Good luck to them I hope they do well.

BTW O'Malleys was in chaos last night - no staff. Waited 15 minutes never got served.

Blinky Bill is well qualified to give an expert opinion. He used to own Chiang Mai's finest ever Irish/British pub - The Escape - along with the infamous Eddie.

The best BBQ ribs Thailand has ever known with giant portions and selling for practically nothing. What a great place.

Unfortunately for us, he is out of the food business these days and doing something involving flying airplanes for a lot more money.

Thanks UG, I'm well aware of BB expertise and reputation. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, that's why I suggested, he drop into the Olde Bell, as he intimated he hadn't been there as yet, and gives us the benefit of his long time experience and maybe, where/if, they are needed, a few pearls of wisdom to the gaffer, I'm sure he would appreciate them.

Likite, as for the Toon getting beat again fear nought, like the Phoenix we will rise again from the ashes (which is more than can be said of England's cricket team) and be mighty again.... though I fear it won't happen this weekend. :o

Howay the lads!!

Likite, as for the Toon getting beat again fear nought, like the Phoenix we will rise again from the ashes (which is more than can be said of England's cricket team) and be mighty again.... though I fear it won't happen this weekend. sad.gif

Howay the lads!!

Might be few weekends yet :o In the meantime there is always the Guiness and the like to sustain wor optimism. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Don't eat a lot of farang food but readily confess to chasing a Sunday roast and today elected to give the Olde Bell a go and results were less than impressive and I knew I was in trouble when the roast beef turned up with corners curled! Taste was so so and dry a sure sign the lunch time crowd had long moved on and few had ordered roast since (I ordered at 2000, sign said available until 2300 so not too many excuses please). To make matters worse I then ordered spotted dick and custard at 75baht and what was placed in front didn't resemble any I had before.........OK smart people let me finish the story first.

Only plus was large bottles of San Miguel available which to me is the best beer available in town at present but the question remains: Aside from Queen Vic and the Pub where does a bloke look for a decent Sunday roast? Next Sunday is me last until I head offshore so will line up the Sheraton but if there are others out there worthy of a visit please advise.

Now then back to that spotted dick.........

Don't eat a lot of farang food but readily confess to chasing a Sunday roast and today elected to give the Olde Bell a go and results were less than impressive and I knew I was in trouble when the roast beef turned up with corners curled! Taste was so so and dry a sure sign the lunch time crowd had long moved on and few had ordered roast since (I ordered at 2000, sign said available until 2300 so not too many excuses please). To make matters worse I then ordered spotted dick and custard at 75baht and what was placed in front didn't resemble any I had before.........OK smart people let me finish the story first.

Only plus was large bottles of San Miguel available which to me is the best beer available in town at present but the question remains: Aside from Queen Vic and the Pub where does a bloke look for a decent Sunday roast? Next Sunday is me last until I head offshore so will line up the Sheraton but if there are others out there worthy of a visit please advise.

Yesterday afternoon I had the roast turkey there and it was OK. Ordering a roast lunch at 8 pm is perhaps asking for trouble - even though it is availalble!

But there is not many places doing Sunday roast thats for sure and I can't really think of any other places off the top of my head. You could try Mad Dogs on the moat they have lamb and i think steak and other farang food. The pizzas are very acceptable.

Tell about the spotted dick pray.................................. :o

Yesterday afternoon I had the roast turkey there and it was OK. Ordering a roast lunch at 8 pm is perhaps asking for trouble - even though it is availalble!

But there is not many places doing Sunday roast thats for sure and I can't really think of any other places off the top of my head. You could try Mad Dogs on the moat they have lamb and i think steak and other farang food. The pizzas are very acceptable.

Tell about the spotted dick pray.................................. :o

TRUE BLUE do a Sunday Roast, usually either roast pork or turkey.

Thanks UG, I'm well aware of BB expertise and reputation. I couldn't agree more with your sentiments, that's why I suggested, he drop into the Olde Bell, as he intimated he hadn't been there as yet, and gives us the benefit of his long time experience and maybe, where/if, they are needed, a few pearls of wisdom to the gaffer, I'm sure he would appreciate them.

Likite, as for the Toon getting beat again fear nought, like the Phoenix we will rise again from the ashes (which is more than can be said of England's cricket team) and be mighty again.... though I fear it won't happen this weekend. :o

Howay the lads!!

I'm just a grumpy old cynic these days. Not happy unless I'm unhappy about something....... :D

Thanks for the kind words Ulysses.

I'm just a grumpy old cynic these days. Not happy unless I'm unhappy about something....... :D

Thanks for the kind words Ulysess.

I think that you and Georgie should get a room togeather..... :D

:o:D

Not a pretty picture. :D

Edited by lamphun

Thanks for the kind words Ulysess.

I think that you and Georgie should get a room togeather..... :D

:o:D

Not a pretty picture. :D

As much as I like UG I couldn't imagine us as a couple.

Now some of his staff? That's a different matter altogether.

The poms just got slaughtered by the Aussies.............NZ is next

Edited by Blinky Bill