Places To Visit In Laos

ExpatLife

I have been to Laos 4 times, 2 to Vientiane and 2 to Savannakhet. I am heading there next week and will have most of the first day in Laos, a full next day and half of the 3rd as my gf needs to get back for work. We were going to use the 2nd day to travel over to Vieng Vang but it seems like it may be time consuming to get there and back. Also even though it seems beautiful and attractive there, the sheer amount of Westerners and the nightlife does not appeal to me. I seem to have grown old at the age of 27, but being here for 7 years has turned me off the backpacker types and the relevant touristy locations they go to.

So, what would you guys suggest? I guess even going to Savannakhet and then exploring from there would be a possibility? Would like to see Laos outside of the 2 locations I have already been, but do not have much tim to travel too far

Been too;

Vientiane

Vang Vieng (takes at least 4 hours each way on the road) not as bad as 3 years ago and the drive up is nice and the landscape is amazing once ur there

Phnosavan ( plain of jars) 6 hours from Vientiane by road

Luang Prabang, you'd need fly but its worth it

Other places as well but not with your time frame

About 15-20 minutes from the bus station/market in Savannakhet is the important That Ing Hang, which is very interesting. I think it is around 600 baht to get there and back by tuk-tuk.

Thak Khet (ທ່າແຂກ) is a small town a few hours north of Savannakhet. The town has some interesting vats, and a nice area to eat by the Mekong at night. It is across the river from Nakhon Phanom. About 6 km. south of the town is the revered Vat Pha That Sikhotabong. Many Thais come to visit this site. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tha-khek/attractions/537243

Not far away you can explore the Mahaxai Caves and the beautiful karst formations. https://books.google.ca/books?id=3nLCBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT200&lpg=PT200&dq=mahaxai+caves&source=bl&ots=7ID-1--2rc&sig=-cnFQ2M6OxV1faYjENlopIzQwIg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxwbTP5v_MAhUJNT4KHdWADokQ6AEIUTAM#v=onepage&q=mahaxai%20caves&f=false

Check out my post on this forum

http://forums.undergroundhiphop.com/readpost.asp?Forum=GenDiscussion&Whichpage=2&QuestionID=3733416

Backpackers scene in Laos is a disaster. Kiddies on a 10 EUR per day budget that are a pain in the neck of

every single person who lives or work there. They are still looking "friends" non stop I'm not even kidding.

Nice things to see in Laos but also a lot messed up things.

About 15-20 minutes from the bus station/market in Savannakhet is the important That Ing Hang, which is very interesting. I think it is around 600 baht to get there and back by tuk-tuk.

Thak Khet (ທ່າແຂກ) is a small town a few hours north of Savannakhet. The town has some interesting vats, and a nice area to eat by the Mekong at night. It is across the river from Nakhon Phanom. About 6 km. south of the town is the revered Vat Pha That Sikhotabong. Many Thais come to visit this site. http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tha-khek/attractions/537243

Not far away you can explore the Mahaxai Caves and the beautiful karst formations. https://books.google.ca/books?id=3nLCBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT200&lpg=PT200&dq=mahaxai+caves&source=bl&ots=7ID-1--2rc&sig=-cnFQ2M6OxV1faYjENlopIzQwIg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxwbTP5v_MAhUJNT4KHdWADokQ6AEIUTAM#v=onepage&q=mahaxai%20caves&f=false

I was considering heading to Savannakhet instead of Vientiane, although been to both it seems there is more to do just around Savannakhet than Vientiane. Thanks.

Vang Vieng is ok to visit. Many caves, svimming in the rivers etc.

Luang Prabang is a nice and interesting place which is on the UNESCO world heritage list. Lots of old temples and a good bit of french colonialiam feel left.

Phonsavan - plain of Jars. Certainly a interesting place. Lots of history about the secret war in Laos during the 70's.

Nong Khiaow - serene river paradise and tranquil resorts.

Thong Lor cave and nearby Carst mountains - fantastic experience going through the 7,5 kms long cave in a small wooden boat. Nearest town is Tha Khek.

Sii Phan Don - the 4000 islands in the Mekong river just on the border to Cambodia. Lots of history and relaxed atmosphere.

For the more adventorous:

Phongsaly - the northernmost province of Laos - highly influenced by the chinese. Thw journey there are as interesting as the stay.

Sam Neua - near Vietnam border - take a look at the caves where the Phatet Lao leaders hided - lost of history and vietnamese influence.

Cross over the Bolevyn plateu with its huge coffee plantations and visit the remote provinces of Attapeu, Sekong and Salawan.

Have a nice trip!