Lived in Thailand 10 years, pension not frozen

I recently received the answer to my request for a government pension. I received full pension of 156 GBP despite having lived here 10 years.

I had reason to return to UK for 105 days in 2014 due to serious problems with my ex girlfriend. I had kept the original rental agreement from UK and sent with my application. I was also lucky that my birthday was after April 2016 because calculations changed in that month.

I had previously seen on Thai visa timelines of 3 months and 6 months to qualify for the annual State Pension increase. I am not sure of the exact month/days to qualify but thought I would share my experience.

Well it is frozen now,you have only just received the pension ?,

if that is so you will not have any increases for as long as you

live out of the U.K.,in Thailand anyway.

regards worgeordie P.S. they think you are still living in U.K. ?, hope they don't catch you.

Edited by worgeordie

156 pounds is that weekly? How is one supposed to survive on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On that amount of money , you can live like a king in Thailand .

In UK , you would live like a pauper.

OP, keep your butt , under the radar , good luck .

156 pounds is that weekly? How is one supposed to survive on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On that amount of money , you can live like a king in Thailand .

In UK , you would live like a pauper.

OP, keep your butt , under the radar , good luck .

Like a King?? Am I missing something? 156 pounds = 7956 baht a week (@50) = 397,800 baht per year.

Just to get a retirement Visa in Aust you must show you have access to about 800,000baht a year.

Most decent places I have rented are between 15,000-20,000 baht a month to rent (180K to 240K a year).

That leaves only 4200 baht a week for food, electricity, water, transport, medical, internet, payTv, mobile phone, entertainment, etc.

And just the plane round-trip to UK and back is gonna be about 15-20K baht.

Maybe one could find a place for 10,000baht a month in a 'cheap' part of whatever town - but that would still leave only 5300 a week for everything.

There is no way a King can live on 400,000baht a year - I spend well above that and I aint living like a King - comfortable yes, but I aint no King (no Mercedes here mate).

But then again - for someone from the poor parts of Africa/India - I guess living in a backpacker's dorm and sharing 'toilets and other things' and eating street foods is living like a King.

But for any people overseas reading that sort of khrapp on TV - let me assure you that in Thailand living on 156 pounds a week is not 'easy' living - no way Jose.

And on that money you will be up sheeiite creek without a paddle if you get seriously sick/injured - decent hospitals aint that cheap here - and if you are in a poor villlage/town, then 'good luck'.

There is a reason that the Aust/Thai Govt only approve retirement Visas for someone with access to 800,000baht a year - and many Expats spend a lot more than that here.

And of you are not too careful (especially with the girls) you can easily spend well over a milllion baht a year.

I have seen it happen and they always wonder were their money went (and then where the Thai girl/s went) - and it sometimes ends badly (nowhere to go and no money to get there - sad).

Do not come to Thailand thinking you can escape the poor living in UK (or elsewhere) and live here like a King on next to nothing - it aint true (unless you are from Africa/India).

As the OP has stated that he has already been living here for 10 years, I would imagine he has some other form of income, which has enabled him to live here for that period of time.

If that is the case, another 32,000 baht per month would be a nice top up on his spends.

Also, as you have no idea of which part of Thailand he lives in, to make comparisons with your expenses is pretty pointless.

Well it is frozen now,you have only just received the pension ?,

if that is so you will not have any increases for as long as you

live out of the U.K.,in Thailand anyway.

regards worgeordie P.S. they think you are still living in U.K. ?, hope they don't catch you.

The government know I am living in Thailand. They sent correspondence to me at my address here. I told the truth about everything and sent supporting documents. I find its best to tell the truth rather than be tripped up further down the line.

Maybe I did not explain properly. I applied from Thailand and received back supporting documents sent from UK to my address here in Thailand. I acknowledge the pension will be frozen from now on.

Correct, your pension will be frozen going forward while ever you remain in Thailand.

But you have not gained anything.

Regardless of where a pensioner lives or for how long they have lived there they receive their full pension entitlement for the first yeR of retirement as dictated by the DWP rules regarding their contribution history.

Going forward increases to the pension are determined by residence location.

Congratulations on reaching retirement, and best wishes to you that it is long, happy and healthy.

Edited by GuestHouse