can convert Tourist visa to NON O visa?

Hello friends,

i am in Thailand with 60 day tourist visa, i legally registered my marriage with Thai citizen already,

Can i apply for 90 day Non O visa in Thailand? or i should leave the country to get a non o visa?

if i can get 90 day non o visa, should i show 400,000 baht in Account ? or show only for 1 year extension ?

is it need 21 days stay permit balance in visa?

Thank you

Edited by afzal
  • Like 1

To apply for a 1 year extension of stay you need to enter the country with a Non Immigrant Visa which can be achieved two ways.
1. You can get a single entry non 'O' visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate in a neighboring country (2,000 baht).

• On entry you will be granted a 90 day stay.
  • During the last 30 days of that stay you can go to your local Immigration Office and apply for the 1 year extension of stay (1,900 baht). You will need to show 400K baht in your Thai bank account for at least 60 days OR a certified (by your embassy) income of 40K per month

2. Go through an admin process at an Immigration Office that converts your current Tourist Visa entry to a Non immigrant Visa entry, followed by an application for an extension of stay. Not all local offices can do this and you may have to do it in Bangkok.

• You need at least 15 days of your current stay remaining and it would usually require two visits to the Immigration Office.

On the first visit you pay 2,000 baht for them to process an application for a Non Immigrant Visa for the purpose of later applying for an extension of stay. You will need the 400k in your account on the day you apply OR a certified income of 40K pm.

On the second visit, usually two weeks later, they will stamp a Non Immigrant Visa in your passport that will immediately be used so they can also stamp a new 90 day permit to stay.

At this point, after two visits to Immigration, all you have is a 90 day stay granted by a non immigrant visa, which is the same as having physically entered the country with a Non Immigrant visa (1.)

• During the last 30 days of that stay you can go to your local Immigration Office and apply for the extension of stay (1,900 baht). See 1. above.
Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

I just did exactly that. Came in with 60 day tourist visa and finally gave in to the graft and Paid 20,000 baht to a lady in the Jomtien (Pattaya) Immig. office.. I am back and forth almost every other month and over the last 3 trips I have gone into that office, only to be propositioned with that offer (20,000 baht for special assistance).... I even went to the Chang Wattana Immig. office once to be offered the same proposition there. Finally I just gave in and paid them...........

If you enter with an NON Immigrant 'O' then it is likely you will be ok without the 'special service' fee.............

Edit........ And yes you must have more than 15 days remaining in your current entry stay................

Edited by sawadeeken
  • Sad 1

Yes you can change at immigration. Remember you will need to open a Thai bank account in your name then deposit the 400,000. Then in 2-2.5 months go to immigration and apply for your 1yr extension of stay.