Visiting inmates at Lat Yao prison

ponder

A Thai friend of mine has been imprisoned at Lat Yao for possession of drugs. I would like to get some information about the procedure for visiting prisoners and taking supplies to them.

Does anyone know where this information is available in English?

I would also be pleased to hear from anybody who has had experience of visiting the prison.

Thank you.

First point, supplies are not allowed, anything given for a prisoner is thrown away ( or split between staff).

Ony money can be passed for prisoners, it is recorded in a book, then the prisoner can use it to buy goods from the prison shop.

Do you mean, for selling drugs ? If he had a small amount of pot in his pockets, he could have bought his way

out of this problem. Even paying 20-30,000 baht is better then one night in a Thai lock up.

If he was selling, to anyone, and that would include kids. Why help him ??

First point, supplies are not allowed, anything given for a prisoner is thrown away ( or split between staff).

Ony money can be passed for prisoners, it is recorded in a book, then the prisoner can use it to buy goods from the prison shop.

Funny, I have been to Maha Sarakham prison on numerous occasions, with a friend who was visiting his then girlfriend.

Every time, every visitor had food supplies for the person they were visiting. It was searched before being passed on, but every single time it reached the inmate.

This is simply FALSE info. It definitely does not apply across the board; I know for a fact that in several prisons in the south inmates are allowed to receive food items from visitors. Some prisons also have in-house shops where visitors can purchase approved items and give these to the inmates. Different prisons might have slightly different rules, but I'm fairly certain that, in most prisons, inmates are allowed to receive certain items from visitors. This might not apply to maximum security prisons through (but since the OP's friend is in for a drug-related term, I doubt he'd in a max security facility).

I don't about that particular prison but I have experience of visiting someone. In this prison you are not allowed to take anything into the visiting room your wallet and keys are the limit,everything thing else must be left out side,we are patted down as we go through the door. Bags are not allowed but there are lockable lockers available you sign the key out and sign it back in. I have to fill in a form with my name, there name and my passport number this gets handed in and your given a number which is called in blocks of five for your visit,as you go in your given a card,when you come out you hand over the card and you get your passport back.

As for money there is a paying in desk,again you fill out a form with there name and there account number in the prison,this get handed over with your passport,but given back within a few minutes with your receipt. As for food coffee snacks etc there is a counter for that,everything is on display with a number against it,so you fill out yet another form hand it In with the money wait for your receipt the snacks get delivered to the inmate.

Visiting time in this prison is from 8 until 3.30, you get fifteen minutes for the visit,this is behind bars and a Perspex screen,talking is done through a telephone.

As I said this is the procedure within this one particular prison,there are bound to be differences you will just have to find out on the day of your visit.

I don't about that particular prison but I have experience of visiting someone. In this prison you are not allowed to take anything into the visiting room your wallet and keys are the limit,everything thing else must be left out side,we are patted down as we go through the door. Bags are not allowed but there are lockable lockers available you sign the key out and sign it back in. I have to fill in a form with my name, there name and my passport number this gets handed in and your given a number which is called in blocks of five for your visit,as you go in your given a card,when you come out you hand over the card and you get your passport back.

As for money there is a paying in desk,again you fill out a form with there name and there account number in the prison,this get handed over with your passport,but given back within a few minutes with your receipt. As for food coffee snacks etc there is a counter for that,everything is on display with a number against it,so you fill out yet another form hand it In with the money wait for your receipt the snacks get delivered to the inmate.

Visiting time in this prison is from 8 until 3.30, you get fifteen minutes for the visit,this is behind bars and a Perspex screen,talking is done through a telephone.

As I said this is the procedure within this one particular prison,there are bound to be differences you will just have to find out on the day of your visit.

100% correct, and applies to the 2 jails and 1 prison I've been in

At a jail you can buy food from the onsite vendors, it's handed over and checked and put in a locked cage that will then be given to the prisoner.

At the prison only food from the vendor on site can be ordered, by the numbers, prepaid for and this will be delivered on a daily basis to the prisoner. Don't forget to order bottles of water also. Medical care if necessary also has to be prepaid for.

I want to thank everyone for their helpful responses.

I stopped using this website about 5 years ago because every post ended up being a nasty and nonsensical off-topic argument. I have been lucky enough to meet somebody who is a lawyer, and if I find any information from him which I think is useful, I will share it here.

Thanks.

This is simply FALSE info. It definitely does not apply across the board; I know for a fact that in several prisons in the south inmates are allowed to receive food items from visitors. Some prisons also have in-house shops where visitors can purchase approved items and give these to the inmates. Different prisons might have slightly different rules, but I'm fairly certain that, in most prisons, inmates are allowed to receive certain items from visitors. This might not apply to maximum security prisons through (but since the OP's friend is in for a drug-related term, I doubt he'd in a max security facility).

Have you been in prison in Thailand??

Probably not well for your information i have FOOD / supplies are not allowed to be passed to prisoners.

Please do not make stupid comments when you do not know what you are talking about.

Probably not well for your information i have FOOD / supplies are not allowed to be passed to prisoners.

Please do not make stupid comments when you do not know what you are talking about.

Have you been in EVERY single prison in thailand?

If not, please do not make stupid comments when you have only been in prison for some murders..... Some institutions are more lax than others and even in the ones that have rules, they often get bent..... For some people

Wow... Bit sensitive are we? Guess someone needs a hug :)

As I clearly pointed out in my post, I have indeed made a number of visits to prisons on Phuket as well as in Songkhla and in both prisons certain items are indeed allowed to be given to prisoners. The one in Sonkhla even had a small shop where visitors can purchase approved items and give these to the inmates.

Anyways, no need to get your panties in a bunch my friend. Deep breath and get on with your day :)