Thaksin Will Return With Pride And Dignity

george

Ousted leader Thaksin has no plan to sneak back into Thailand, lawyer says

BANGKOK: -- If and when ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra returns to Thailand, he won't sneak back across the border but he will fly into the country with dignity, his lawyer said Saturday.

Thaksin has been living in London, where he owns an apartment, since being removed by a military coup in September. While on a trip to China last month, there were rumors that Thaksin might try to slip back into Thailand by land.

"If he comes back, he won't illegally cross the border," lawyer Noppadol Patama told reporters. "He will come back with dignity at Suvarnabhumi airport."

Thailand's flashy new Suvarnabhumi airport opened in September, about a week after the Sept. 19 coup. The airport was one of Thaksin's pet projects, but he has yet to see it in operation.

The leader of the coup, Gen. Sondhi Boonyaratkalin, was recently quoted as saying that Thaksin will not be allowed to return until martial law is lifted.

Coup makers have accused Thaksin of massive corruption and abuse of power. They have set up several anti-graft bodies to investigate alleged wrongdoing by the fallen government.

Thaksin's lawyer said the current climate in Thailand made it premature to speak of Thaksin's return.

"If the situation remains the same, he will not return," Noppadol said.

Meanwhile, Chavalit Yongchaiyuth, a former prime minister and army commander, called for the military-backed government to allow Thaksin to come back and face his alleged wrongdoing.

"If he stays here, then we can take care of him and talk to him," he said.

The interim government has promised to step down after a new constitution is drafted and a general election held in October.

About 100 people held a peaceful protest Saturday evening at a park in Bangkok, demanding that martial law be lifted and that a democratically elected government be restored quickly.

--AP 2006-11-11

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thaksin claims he has no plan to return

BANGKOK: -- Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra -- now staying in Beijing -- has no plan to return to Thailand until the overall situation returns to normal, his legal advisor said Saturday.

Noppadol Pattama said he had talked to Mr. Thaksin by telephone and that the ex-premier told him he did not intend to sneak into the country, but would fly to Bangkok and disembark at Suvarnabhumi airport in a dignified manner if he returns.

Mr. Thaksin, toppled in a bloodless coup on September 19 while he was attending a United Nations meeting in New York, had given much attention to building the airport before its recent opening. He said he would prefer to step down at the airport rather than sneaking into the country secretly, Mr. Noppadol said.

Rumours spread earlier that Mr. Thaksin would make his way into Thailand secretly, overland via China, or crossing into Thailand from a river in Myanmar, but these rumours were unfounded, he reportedly told his legal advisor.

As a Thai citizen, Mr. Thaksin can return to this country any time he likes, but he has decided not to until the situation in the country returns to normal, Mr. Noppadol said. He asked people who had spread such rumours to stop doing so for the sake of reconciliation among people in the country.

When asked whether there is a possibility that the former prime minister would return after the end of martial law, Mr. Noppadol said he believed normalcy in the situation was the key factor.

He said Mr. Thaksin had told him that it was unnecessary to create unrest by using pressure in a democratic country and that he would quit politics as his family also wants him to spend more time with the family.

--TNA 2006-11-11

Thaksin claims he has no plan to return

BANGKOK: -- Ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra -- now staying in Beijing -- has no plan to return to Thailand until the overall situation returns to normal, his legal advisor said Saturday.

Noppadol Pattama said he had talked to Mr. Thaksin by telephone and that the ex-premier told him he did not intend to sneak into the country, but would fly to Bangkok and disembark at Suvarnabhumi airport in a dignified manner if he returns.

Mr. Thaksin, toppled in a bloodless coup on September 19 while he was attending a United Nations meeting in New York, had given much attention to building the airport before its recent opening. He said he would prefer to step down at the airport rather than sneaking into the country secretly, Mr. Noppadol said.

Rumours spread earlier that Mr. Thaksin would make his way into Thailand secretly, overland via China, or crossing into Thailand from a river in Myanmar, but these rumours were unfounded, he reportedly told his legal advisor.

As a Thai citizen, Mr. Thaksin can return to this country any time he likes, but he has decided not to until the situation in the country returns to normal, Mr. Noppadol said. He asked people who had spread such rumours to stop doing so for the sake of reconciliation among people in the country.

When asked whether there is a possibility that the former prime minister would return after the end of martial law, Mr. Noppadol said he believed normalcy in the situation was the key factor.

He said Mr. Thaksin had told him that it was unnecessary to create unrest by using pressure in a democratic country and that he would quit politics as his family also wants him to spend more time with the family.

--TNA 2006-11-11

To re quote:-

unquote:-

If he is kept in exile long enough perhaps they might have enough time to sort all the important jobs that should and could have been done had he not rushed the opening for his own ego and the political agenda ect. of his party.

Incidently, i cannot see him coming back any day soon for a multitude of reasons, many of which are being discovered on a regular basis and his accountability as CEO.......................

KHARMA it is called in Thailand and just maybe he and his cronies are about to get theirs, big time.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

How nice it would be to bump into him on walk about on the " Streets of London " and give him a few choice thoughts in one word ( 2 maybe ) syllables before moving on nonchalantly. :D

marshbags :o:D:D

Edited by marshbags

Another interesting article taken from todays Nation ( 14th )

Part quote :-

HARD TALK

Compelling non-political reasons for Thaksin to stay put

Will he or will he not return? This is turning into a multibillion-baht question about the multibillion-baht former political leader who's dying to come home from exile.

Thaksin Shinawatra seems to be having fun playing games with the Surayud government and the Council for National Security (CNS) by keeping them guessing about his intentions. But use a little imagination on ways the billionaire-turned politician could put his immense wealth to use, and the spectre of Thaksin popping up somewhere in the country is no longer far-fetched.

While CNS chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin declared in a recent interview with The Nation that he would stop Thaksin's plane from landing, he knows he cannot be absolutely sure of monitoring every incoming flight - not to mention every general under his command. Rumours that Thaksin remarked to his aides that "a billion baht should be enough to buy them off" were certainly not lost on the coup leader.

Unquote

The full article can be read at the following url.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006/11/14...on_30018884.php

It would appear that Thaksin is getting the sort of reception he deserves in the U.K. courtesty of expat Thai,s after all.

It just shows when ordinary Thai citizens are protected on their right to speak in another more democratic country what they actually think and voice when not fearful of retribution for doing so.

In the U.K. it is everyones right including foreigners ( within reason ) to voice their opinions freely and something they have never experienced before.

How nice then that Karma is being paid back in some small way by the very citizens he has forcefully ruled over and bullied and they are now able to make his life a little uncomfortable and difficult. :D

Perhaps they have told / are telling him thoughts along the lines that i would like to voice, along with many others i am sure.

That is as the bread winner of my Thai family and out of concern for my daughters future regarding the rampant cronyism he represents and self rewarding outcomes in detrimental terms of his mindset against the young Thais of tomorrow.

He must be really pigged off knowing he cannot enlist his heavy hand to silence them and get the false respect he usually DEMANDS of them.

His photo in the " Streets of London " on various threads now reflects how he must be feeling without his usual self assurance and arrogance.

And yes he really does look pathetic and confused by it all. :D:D:D

It gets better by the day don,t you think.........................................

marshbags :o:D:D

How nice then that Karma is being paid back in some small way by the very citizens he has forcefully ruled over and bullied and they are now able to make his life a little uncomfortable and difficult. :o

Perhaps they have told / are telling him thoughts along the lines that i would like to voice, along with many others i am sure.

I guess it's unlikely from Thai expats. Thai culture doesn't stop at the borders of Thailand.

That is as the bread winner of my Thai family and out of concern for my daughters future regarding the rampant cronyism he represents and self rewarding outcomes in detrimental terms of his mindset against the young Thais of tomorrow.

Unfortunately cronyism has a long tradition in Thailand. Thaksin hasn't invented it.

Best wishes,

Interesting display of farang manners in this thread albeit, from the sloppy syntax and bad grammar, a rather downmarket sample.I know of no ordinary Thai (ie outside the ruling elite), whether anti-Thaksin or a supporter, who wants to see the former PM humiliated and insulted.

A Thai friend who joined in the demonstrations in Bangkok against Thaksin told me that he was profoundly shocked by the alleged reports of Thaksin being drenched with water in a London restaurant.His line was that Thais are very forgiving and although Thaksin must stay away for some years, no Thai would wish to harm or humiliate him.

I'm not sure this is entirely true and there are some Thais who would gladly kick Thaksin in the goolies.But it is certainly the case that Thais are very forgiving, sometimes too much so in my view.

Deposed PM is in Hong Kong

HONG KONG:-- Ousted PM said he would leave Hong Kong soon to an unidentified Southeast Asian country, according to Hong Kong-based Oriental Daily News.

A Hong Kong newspaper published on its front page photos of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra holding hands of his wife as they went shopping at a shopping centre in Hong Kong.

One picture showed him trying on a dark blazer in a Marc Jacobs boutique, Associated Press reported Monday.

Thaksin told reporter of the Oriental Daily News that he is now unemployed and that it was too soon to return home.

The Royal Thai Consulate-General in Hong Kong declined to comment on the report.

"I have no capacity to give any comments about the former prime minister's private trip to Hong Kong," Consul Waramon Waruttma told The AP.

The mass-market paper quoted Thaksin as saying he arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday and will depart in the next few days for an unspecified Southeast Asian country.

Thaksin said he would wait until Thailand is more stable before he returns home, the Chinese-language paper reported. The former leader has been living in London, where he owns an apartment, since being deposed by a military coup in September.

Thaksin joked with the reporter and photographer, saying, ``I need a job because I'm unemployed now,'' the paper reported.

The AP reported the photos showed him dressed casually in dark slacks, an electric blue zip-up jacket, loafers and a striped dress shirt with the top two buttons unbuttoned. One picture showed him at a store counter buying a black handbag and two blouses _ one with a zebra print and the other with a purple pattern.

Thaksin also asked how the paper found out he was in Hong Kong. He managed to elude most other Hong Kong media, which are notorious for being hyper aggressive and extremely efficient at tracking the movements of celebrities.

When asked to give the paper an exclusive interview, Thaksin replied, ``No, no, no, no, no,'' the report said.

Thailand's interim prime minister, Surayud Chulanont, has said Thaksin should not return to Thailand until after general elections scheduled to be held a year from now. Thaksin's reappearance could spark clashes, he has said.

--The Nation 2006-11-14

r748974320.jpg

Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra (L) visits Hong Kong's financial district November 14, 2006. Shinawatra was in Hong Kong on Tuesday but declined to reveal his plans for the future or whether he would return to Bangkok any time soon.

REUTERS

Ousted Thai premier in HK, wants peaceful life

HONG KONG - Ousted Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra was in Hong Kong on Tuesday but declined to reveal his plans for the future or whether he would return to Bangkok any time soon.

Thailand's post-coup government has said he should stay in exile until after elections expected in a year.

"I give no interviews whatsoever and I don't want to say anything. I want to live my life peacefully with my family," Thaksin said after shaking hands with a Reuters reporter.

Dressed in a casual jacket, he was with his wife and a handful of aides in the lobby of a luxury hotel in the heart of Hong Kong's Central business district.

Military-appointed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont has said Thaksin should not return to Thailand until after elections the leaders of the September 19 coup against him promised within a year.

"I don't want to say anything," Thaksin said on Tuesday when asked about his political plans.

The coup was generally welcomed in Thailand as an end to months of political gridlock and tension generated by street campaigners who accused Thaksin of corruption and abuse of power, charges he denied.

The coup leaders struck while he was in New York at the United Nations and he has been living in London since.

A local newspaper reported that Thaksin was expected to leave Hong Kong later on Tuesday, and could be going somewhere in Southeast Asia. But there was no firm indication on where he was headed.

- Reuters

Ousted Thai leader, shopping in Hong Kong, has no plans to return home

HONG KONG: Ousted Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said he has no plans to return home, as he shopped in an upscale Hong Kong shopping mall, and that he will travel to Bali next.

"I have no plans to go back to Bangkok," he told The Associated Press as a group of photographers stopped him at a mall in central Hong Kong.

Thaksin said he enjoyed spending his time shopping and eating in Hong Kong.

"Good shopping, good food," he said. He spent a few minutes inside a luxury watch shop, but he didn't buy anything.

Thaksin said he will leave for Bali on Wednesday morning, but didn't say what he planned to do there.

It was the second day Thaksin was spotted shopping at the mall. On Tuesday, the front page of Hong Kong's Oriental Daily News was peppered with photos of Thaksin holding hands with his wife as they strolled through a shopping center Monday. One picture showed him trying on a dark blazer in a Marc Jacobs store.

Thaksin also asked how the paper found out he was there. He had eluded most other Hong Kong media, notorious for being aggressive and extremely efficient at tracking celebrities *and disgraced former despots.*

On Tuesday, he disappeared into an office building occupied mostly by lawyers and accountants for about two hours. He declined to say what he did inside when he emerged.

"I have my lawyers in Thailand, not here," he said.

The coup leaders have accused Thaksin of massive corruption and abuse of power. They have set up several anti-graft bodies to investigate the former government's alleged wrongdoing.

In the Thai capital Bangkok, the state anti-corruption body revealed Tuesday that Thaksin and his wife had assets worth a total of more than 9 billion baht (US$247 million; €192.4 million) at the time he was deposed in September.

The figures considerably understate his family's wealth, which is mostly in the hands of their two adult children, son Phantongtae and elder daughter Pintongta.

Thaksin and Cabinet members of his former government were required by the National Counter Corruption Commission to give an account of their assets after the Sep. 19 coup. Cabinet members are required to submit assets declarations when they enter and leave office.

Thaksin's declaration said he has 557.6 million baht (US$15.2 million; €11.9 million) in net assets — mostly bank deposits — while his wife's listed 8.73 billion baht (US$239.6 million; €186.4 million), mostly bank deposits and real estate.

*yeah right, Thakky, :o nobody believes you* :D

- Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Ousted Thai PM set for Bali holiday

DEPOSED Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is set to leave Hong Kong for the Indonesian resort island of Bali, his lawyer has said.

Mr Thaksin, who was seen shopping with his wife in Hong Kong at the weekend, plans to spend about a week in Bali on vacation, lawyer Noppadol Pattama has said.

"He will be there for vacation for about five or even seven days," he has said.

He could not say whether Mr Thaksin's wife Pojaman will stay there with the fallen premier to celebrate her birthday on November 22.

After their holiday in Bali, Mr Thaksin plans to go to China or another nearby nation, Mr Noppadol has said.

Mr Thaksin was in New York when the coup happened, and then flew into self-imposed exile in London where he has a residence.

This month the former premier has been staying in China, raising speculation that he might return home soon.

Mr Noppadol has denied that Mr Thaksin plans to return to Thailand in the near future, saying: "I can confirm that he has no plan to return home at the moment."

Military-backed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanond said last week that Mr Thaksin should return to Thailand only after elections which have been promised for late next year.

Thailand has been under martial law since the September 19 coup.

The junta has been reluctant to lift it, despite international pressure, for fear that Mr Thaksin's supporters could start an anti-coup movement.

Source: AFP - 15 November 2006

Thaksin to fly to Bali for vacation

Deposed Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is set to leave Hong Kong for the Indonesian resort island of Bali on Wednesday, his lawyer said.

Thaksin, who was seen shopping with his wife in Hong Kong at the weekend, plans to spend about a week in Bali on vacation, the lawyer said.

"He will be there for vacation for about five or even seven days," Noppadol Pattama told AFP.

He could not say whether Thaksin's wife Pojaman would stay there with the fallen premier to celebrate her birthday on November 22.

After their holiday in Bali, Thaksin plans to go to China or another nearby nation, Noppadol said.

Source: Agence France-Presse - 15 November 2006

Deposed Thai PM 'holidays' in Bali

Denpasar, Indonesia - Deposed Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra arrived on the Indonesian resort island of Bali on Wednesday for a holiday.

Thaksin, who was shopping in Hong Kong with his wife on Tuesday, was whisked at the airport to a limousine and left in a convoy of cars without speaking to waiting reporters.

The convoy headed for the luxury Sheraton resort in the tourist enclave of Nusa Dua south of the airport. His plans were not immediately confirmed here, although his lawyer said in Bangkok that he was on holidays.

"He will be there for vacation for about five or even seven days," Noppadol Pattama told AFP.

He could not say whether Thaksin's wife, Pojaman, would be staying there with the fallen premier to celebrate her birthday on November 22.

After leaving Bali, Thaksin planned to return to China or another nearby nation, Noppadol said.

Thaksin was in New York when the coup happened, and then flew into self-imposed exile in London where he has a residence.

This month the former premier has been staying in China.

Military-backed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanond said last week that Thaksin should return to Thailand only after elections which have been promised for late next year.

Thailand has been under martial law since the September 19 coup. The junta has been reluctant to lift it, despite international pressure, for fear that Thaksin's supporters could start an anti-coup movement.

Source: Agence France Presse - 16 November 2006

• 10 months later...

The thread title reflects his mood even today...

Ousted ex Thai PM Thaksin says he will return to Thailand, but not soon

LONDON: Ousted ex-Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra promised to return to Thailand to fight corruption charges, but said Wednesday it would not be any time soon.

"I love my people, I love my family. I will definitely go back to Thailand, and I will find the right timing," Thaksin told British Broadcasting Corp. radio.

He ruled out a return until at least after tentative elections slated for December, saying he did not want to be the cause of violent confrontation in the country.

Following months of demonstrations accusing Thaksin of corruption and abuse of power, the country's military leaders staged a coup which ousted him in September.

Since then Thai authorities have issued arrest warrants against Thaksin and his wife_ who have been living in self-imposed exile in London — for allegedly violating stock-trading laws and on corruption-related charges.

Thaksin denied the charges and vowed to clear his name, but could not name a date for his return.

"After elections. That's my initial ideas," he said. "We probably have to wait for the new government to be installed ... but I have to wait and see."

Thaksin, a telecommunications tycoon-turned-politician, led the government between 2001-06.

The military-appointed government has said it would return democracy to Thailand by holding general elections by the end of this year, tentatively scheduled for Dec. 23.

Thaksin's Thai Rak Thai party was dissolved in May due to the involvement of senior party executives in fraudulent activities during last year elections. Thaksin has been living in self-imposed exile since he was ousted and pledged to retire from politics.

- Associated Press

So proud.. so dignified... errr....except for the bit about spewing hypocritical propaganda while visiting a temple...

capt6204ebd58be145059b4f534cb98666a.britain_thailand_shinawatra_lon806.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra, former Prime Minister of Thailand, prays with monks at the Dhammakaya Centre for Buddist Meditation in Knaphill, Surrey, England a year after being ousted from office, Wednesday Sept. 19, 2007. Shinawatra Wednesday called for a return to democracy in his country as he visited the Buddhist temple where he and his family worship while in the UK.

Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Well same old Thaksin who does not want to hear tough questions by the media. His defense statement about Win Mark is only on his website, apparently no interviews granted. When he does talk to the media it is about everyone and everything except himself.

I guess the Swiss interview with the comments on the banks should be out someplace by now.

So proud.. so dignified... errr....except for the bit about spewing hypocritical propaganda while visiting a temple...

capt6204ebd58be145059b4f534cb98666a.britain_thailand_shinawatra_lon806.jpg

Saint Thaksin at morning prayers. :o

What a wonderful picture. It encapsulates everything good about this great man.

His humility.............piety..............self sacrifice.............honesty...............and generosity to the poor and underprivileged. will not go unnoticed. :D

It would be incredibly risky for Thaksin to return even if the PPP win a majority and Samak and Chavalit meet him at the airport with the red carept and the heads of the ASC on pikes, so it is quite unlikely he will will actually come if the conditions are any less than this scenario.