Driving Licence and Renting motorbike/car.

I've rented motorbikes all over Thailand in the past and never had any issues, I might also hire a car for a few weeks on my next trip(4-5 months).
But this trip I would like to be fully legal and have a few other ponderings.

I rented a nice bike for not much money in Ko Chang last year, but I wonder what would happen...if I for eg the bike was stolen or damaged in an accident.

Are rented motorbikes generally insured against such events by the owner(rental company) or would they be looking for me to buy them a new bike or pay for repairs?

As a UK licence holder(Card) do I need an IDP as well?

I seen the other thread, but many people contracting each other, so please only answer if you actually know the Thai law.

No insurance, accidents, if you're to blame, are on you.

You don't need idp, but could still be required by police.

Take into account that full motorbike licence is required.

No insurance, accidents, if you're to blame, are on you.

And if the bike is stolen?

You don't need idp, but could still be required by police.

If I don't need an IDP then why would it be required by the police?

Take into account that full motorbike licence is required.

Is that a Thai licence or?

As a UK licence holder(Card) do I need an IDP as well?©

From the point of view of international treaties (such as your insurance bought in the international companies outside of Thailand)

NO NEED IDP

With Thai police point of view - NEED IDP..

Happy Daze....

if you research the excellent archives at TV---you will soon discover a wealth of information on all the moves you need to undertake to obtain your Tai motorbike drivers license. All in, about 1,000b.

Since you are jumping through a series of hoops, GET YOUR CAR DRIVER's LICENSE as well. Yes...at the same time. Another 1,100b, YES---GET BOTH!

You used to be issued one year for this license duo, but friends have related to me that this first year, two years are now permitted.

After two years (it goes by quick), the next time you renew everything---you get 5 years on your motorbike license and 5 years on your auto license. Yes, they are TWO separate licenses. License in Tai is "bpai-kaap-key." Don't worry, you'll know how to spell it in Tai script soon enough!

Much of dealing with "bureaucracy" in Thailand is quite simple---wade in and get your feet wet. If you ask 10 people for their way of doing things--you'll get 10 approaches. Set yourself up properly from the git-go and read archives like a man possessed. List all the documents that you'll require, gather up you passport and pics and begin your journey.

No meltdowns, no anger. Always smile---especially through the confusion that awaits you. Keep it fun, as an adventure and you'll have a stash of your VERY OWN STORIES to tell your buddies in disbelief. TiT--This is Thailand!

No matter your current country--obtain what VEHICLE classifications you are able. If you are a decent enough motorcyclist, get your motorbike rating in UK, USA, Germany, etc. An international driver's license is about 500b in many locales. Make sure that this international driver's license shows that you are permitted to drive both a car and motorbike. These stamps assist you on your voyage in Thailand.

Where do you live? In Pattaya area, easy to get to the Soi 5 Immigration. You need to stop at Immigration for a "Residency Certificate."

Bring your passport, Residency LETTER from your hotel and various official kit that determines who we are to an official face. You fill out a form, afix photos. This costs 300b. Wait---you will need TWO Residency Certificates because you are applying for TWO LICENSES! Your call to tell Immigration you want two Certs (500b). You can just buy one for 300b and xerox it. They work the same. Depends if you wish to lose 200b or not?

In the past, medical certificates were req'd. This has been discarded as of my most recent 5 year renewal.

After you have completed these steps---stop for the day. Go get a beer with your mates.

Next day...Do your run to the Land Transport Office. It is out on highway #36 and is not the easiest place to find. Make sure you have a friend that can run you out there early---say 8am.

You arrive and present all doc's. You get exposed to official Tai life, from another perspective. The whole thing will make you smile---the eye exam, the testing of braking skills. Kon Tai do not understand sarcasm and irony, so just smile through all. Keep any and all commentary for later at the bar.

You WILL be waiting. Bring along a good book. Time varies, but generally, you'll have both licenses by 11am-12 noon.

Post back here after you obtain your licenses.....