Opening a bank account in chiang mai

Reborncarcare

The very best way to do it is to read the past thresds on this topic which are still current information using the search function to find them and please close this totally unnecessary thread.

The very best way to do it is to read the past thresds on this topic which are still current information using the search function to find them and please close this totally unnecessary thread.

Instead of just a like this button on the posts, I wish there were a vaporise the poster button as an addition.

re

Is there a way to open an account?

walk into any bank

put ten thousand baht and your passport on the counter

and ask ... can open savings account ?

if they say yes .. sorted :)

if no .. try the same another bank !

thats how i opened all these 6 accounts on a tourist visa !

dave2

post-42592-0-85857500-1465433429_thumb.j

Instead of just a like this button on the posts, I wish there were a vaporise the poster button as an addition.

What a dellightfully violent man.

Hi Reborncarcare

What is your situation in Chiang Mai? Are you a resident, are you married to a Thai, what type of visa are you on? All these things determine if or what type of bank account you can open

That is BS. Different banks, different branches of the same bank and different officers at the same bank will very often respond differently to your request. To find some banks, not all, that tend to respond favorably, review the past threads or just use Dave2's approach for banks that are conveniently located for you.

There is no need to tell about yourself on this open forum.

If you're on a TV, and anything but white and clean, your chances become slim. Even with a long-stay, that says "EMPLOYMENT PROHIBITED," you may be asked for a work permit. Yellow Bank at Airport Plaza may be one of the best all around.....BKK Banks are more like 50/50, but offer they best way to bring in money without paying huge fees, but their interest rates are below market, but nowadays the margin has narrowed to about .25%, compared to BAY or CIMB.

I opened my SCB account with a Thai friend present so that I could put their address down as the local contact.

All went very smoothly at their HQ at Night Bazaar road/Tha Pae Road corner.

Take your passport.

If there is anything else they need they will tell you, plenty of good English speakers.

I opened my SCB account with a Thai friend present so that I could put their address down as the local contact.

All went very smoothly at their HQ at Night Bazaar road/Tha Pae Road corner.

Take your passport.

If there is anything else they need they will tell you, plenty of good English speakers.

Thanks Chicog. Will do that. Cheers

re

walk into any bank

if they say yes .. sorted smile.png

dave2

Thanks alot Dave2. will that this week. Cheers

What a dellightfully violent man.

And that`s when I`m in a good mood, you should see me when I`m really angry.

post-246045-0-80865200-1465485897_thumb.

re

walk into any bank

if they say yes .. sorted smile.png

dave2

i'm guessing that was years ago. not as easy now.

re

Take a Thai person with you, they vouch for you and you can

open an account

yeah right sad.png

a thai vouching for a ferang ?

they are going to laugh their socks off if you turn up

with last nights rental or the somtam lady from thaphae road sad.png

dave2

ps .... some poeple on the thai banking subject here live in

a dream / fantacy world of their own sad.png

post-42592-0-59941700-1465486351_thumb.j

re

a fair comment and true ! ... so up the anti !

put 20 30 or 50 thousand baht on the counter and watch them running

round like headless chickens locking the door so you cant get out !

savings account sorted in ten minits with atm card

everyones happy :)

dave2

post-42592-0-34149300-1465488635_thumb.j

re

open an account

yeah right sad.png

a thai vouching for a ferang ?

they are going to laugh their socks off if you turn up

with last nights rental or the somtam lady from thaphae road sad.png

dave2

ps .... some poeple on the thai banking subject here live in

a dream / fantacy world of their own sad.png

Dave2, I think there is a misunderstanding here, lordblackader was referring to the Bangkok Bank not a Sperm Bank.

Dave2, it's not quite that easy now. The other day the asst. manager from Bangkok Bank KSK called me, asking if I knew Mr. XXX -- he said the guy was a newcomer in town and wanted to open a bank account with a large sum of money but only had a 30 day visa exempt entry, was staying in a guest house and didn't have any references. The bank official really wanted open an account for him because of the large sum of money, but with their new rules he needed a reference for the guy so he was calling around hoping to find someone responsible who might have had some contact with the guy who could come in and vouch for him. The need something in writing for their files now.

Dave2, it's not quite that easy now. The other day the asst. manager from Bangkok Bank KSK called me, asking if I knew Mr. XXX -- he said the guy was a newcomer in town and wanted to open a bank account with a large sum of money but only had a 30 day visa exempt entry, was staying in a guest house and didn't have any references. The bank official really wanted open an account for him because of the large sum of money, but with their new rules he needed a reference for the guy so he was calling around hoping to find someone responsible who might have had some contact with the guy who could come in and vouch for him. The need something in writing for their files now.

A temporary tourist arrives in town on holiday and a Bangkok Bank assistant manager personally contacted you to ask if you knew him. Why would he do that? Would it had not been simpler for the assistant manager to ask the customer if he knew you or anyone else in Chiang Mai that could provide a reference? If the customer said yes, then the bank could check the names or if no, end of story, that`s how it normally works.

Doesn`t add up.

re

a fair comment and true ! ... so up the anti !

put 20 30 or 50 thousand baht on the counter and watch them running

round like headless chickens locking the door so you cant get out !

savings account sorted in ten minits with atm card

everyones happy smile.png

dave2

LOL!!! i know that. My wife which is from thai open an account with 100,000 baht. they are like <deleted>!!! everything done within 15min excluding some pushing game for signing some card which my wife is not interested.

Anyway will try that next week when im in CM. Thank Dave2

re

ok nancy i understand that but i still think my way might work in some branches :)

between the arrows on thaphae road there are about five banks :)

trying my way in each bank is going to take you how long .. two hours ?

ok two hours wasted .... but you might be lucky in one !

dave2

re

A temporary tourist arrives in town on holiday and a Bangkok Bank assistant manager personally contacted you to ask if you knew him. Why would he do that? Would it had not been simpler for the assistant manager to ask the customer if he knew you or anyone else in Chiang Mai that could provide a reference? If the customer said yes, then the bank could check the names or if no, end of story, that`s how it normally works.

Doesn`t add up.

yes it does

nancy l

is well respected and known in chiang mai higher circles from hospitals banks hotels immigration embassys consulates police etc and thais in authority everywhere !

pps ... even i know her :)

post-42592-0-32564600-1465526199_thumb.j

post-42592-0-59057500-1465526232_thumb.j

post-42592-0-87988300-1465526292_thumb.p

re

open an account

yeah right sad.png

That's exactly how I did it, while on a tourist visa staying in a hotel.

I told them I lived overseas and I needed a savings account for retirement.

No problem at all.

Before you start spouting off perhaps you should realise that other people have actually done it.

Oh, and I misplaced the book so went to see them. Got a police report and they issued me a new one, and I also changed the address to a farang retiree I know and I did that on my own.

Like I said: SCB. Good English speaking staff and they are very helpful.

I'm normally in there once or twice a year to pay money in.

Edited by Chicog

re

ok nancy i understand that but i still think my way might work in some branches smile.png

between the arrows on thaphae road there are about five banks smile.png

dave2

re

Doesn`t add up.

yes it does

nancy l

is well respected and known in chiang mai higher circles from hospitals banks hotels immigration embassys consulates police etc and thais in authority everywhere !

pps ... even i know her smile.png

You mean her reputation is so highly regarded that banks are contacting her to give references for tourists? If a foreign customer wanted to deposit a very large amount of money into a Thai bank, even a tourist and the bank have concerns about money laundering or the money may be proceeds from criminal activities, this woman`s word that the customer is of good standing would be sufficient to give the customer the all clear and go ahead to open an account even if the customer did not approached her or give her name to the bank for a reference from the beginning? Well I be damned.

Usually banks anywhere if customers apply for accounts and need to give names or companies for references, the banks may try to confirm these are authentic by phone calls or asking for a written confirmation from a referee, but I have never heard of a bank phoning around to ask people if they may know someone on the off chance. Never heard of so much tripe in all my life.

in a past life I was working for a major bank,and if I rang up a customer for a reference,i think I would be looking for references for a new job.its up to the customer to provide prove if asked.money laurdering is a serious offence.

Edited by true blue

re

ok nancy i understand that but i still think my way might work in some branches smile.png

dave2

not wasted, Thaipae Rd is an okay walk and most bank employees are pleasant to speak with

enjoy the scenery, stop for coffee and a bit of cake, good lunch spots near the gate

re

dave2

re

Doesn`t add up.

yes it does

nancy l

pps ... even i know her smile.png

You mean her reputation is so highly regarded that banks are contacting her to give references for tourists? If a foreign customer wanted to deposit a very large amount of money into a Thai bank, even a tourist and the bank have concerns about money laundering or the money may be proceeds from criminal activities, this woman`s word that the customer is of good standing would be sufficient to give the customer the all clear and go ahead to open an account even if the customer did not approached her or give her name to the bank for a reference from the beginning? Well I be damned.

Usually banks anywhere if customers apply for accounts and need to give names or companies for references, the banks may try to confirm these are authentic by phone calls or asking for a written confirmation from a referee, but I have never heard of a bank phoning around to ask people if they may know someone on the off chance. Never heard of so much tripe in all my life.

The potential customer was probably asked if he was member of the CM Expats Club and said "Yes", but couldn't produce a member card. All I would do anyway is confirm if someone was a member or not. This person wasn't and the fact he lied about it (he hadn't even signed up to receive the on-line newsletter, which you don't have to be a member to receive) told the assistant manager something about him, didn't it?

Edit: I'll save someone the trouble and point out that it's not exactly a difficult process to join CEC.

I opened one this week at Bangkok Bank in KSK. Tourist visa.

They wanted a confirmation of address form from immigration which was easy enough to get but involved going out to Promenada and back to collect the next day and cost 500B. I had a lease I'd just signed but from what I gathered even just a guesthouse card would have been sufficient to get this.

There was a sign on the desk at the bank saying either a letter from your embassy or a reference from a Thai person "acceptable to the bank" were also accepted so might be easier just to pay Chiang Mai Buddy the 500B rather than going out to immigration (or rather the agency beside immigration as they directed me there for it).

It was all very easy though really and now transfers from the US take only two days with a great exchange rate (better than the one they list for FX on their website) and cost next to nothing ($5 up to $2,000, $10 over), it's fantastic, I am going to be saving around 5% on all the money I transfer here. Have done two transfers so far and they went perfectly and so quick.

Both people I dealt with at Bangkok Bank spoke perfect English and were very friendly and helpful, highly recommended. It had to be Bangkok Bank for me as I wanted it for the US transfers and I believe they are the only Thai bank in the US ACH system, basically you can transfer to their New York branch from the US and from the sending party's side it is a domestic transaction. I believe they have a similar thing set up for the UK and Japan at least as well.

It's a savings account but I have a visa debit on it for ATM/online use, they also signed me up for internet banking and I get a text as soon as any money arrives in the account.