Non-imm Retirement 'O' - convert from METV or get new 'O' Visa?

I've read many threads on the subject but am still unclear what the best option for my particular situation would be. Would appreciate advice from the wise and savvy ones on these matters.

My situation:

1. METV expiring July 4th, I will be making the most of the METV by returning on July 3rd so will have 60 days' stay to take me to Aug 31st, possibly extend by another 30.

2. I have one kid in tow - we're both on METV so far but this would change obviously if and when I get a retirement 'O' visa.

3. I meet age requirement and will be using income to qualify.

4. Currently based in Bangkok and can be based in Bangkok if necessary for ease of dealing with officialdom and paperwork.

I'm looking for the simplest and most hassle free option, and will need for both of our visas to be synchronized in terms of expiry, renewals and such.

Options (questions) I'm pondering and will need advice on:

1. Is it easier to convert from the METV in Bangkok OR to get a new Non-immigrant 'O' Retirement visa from outside Thailand (Penang looks to be best option). I would have thought conversion in Bangkok would be easier than getting a new visa in Penang. Please advice and tell me the pros and cons.

2. If I go with the conversion option in Bangkok, what kind of visa would my kid be getting? A dependent's visa?

3. What paperwork do I need for this other than the usual passport copies, application, photos, departure card and income verification letter? Anything additional for my kid?

4. Is there any difference in the paperwork requirement between conversion in Bangkok or getting a Non-O visa in Penang?

5. Is there any point in extending my METV 60 day stay by another 30 days if I'm converting to a retirement visa?

Any information regarding the above questions would be much appreciated!

Of course, there is always the tourist visa option to fall back on as a stop gap measure for both of us but I would prefer not to have to bother with the hassle of visa runs and extensions if possible.

Thank you very much in advance!

Since you have a child that will need a non-o visa to apply for a dependent extension after you get yours based upon retirement it would be best if you both went out to get your non-o visas at the same time. Immigration will not do a conversion to a non immigrant visa for dependent extensions for those getting retirement extensions.

Penang or Vientiane would be best to get your non-o visas.

Both will issue a non-o visa for you being 50 or over and will accept theincome letter from you embassy to meet the financial requirements. You will need your child's birth certificate plus a copy to apply for their non-o visa.

Maybe not allowed to comment like this as off topic. However seeing so many people obtaining clear an expert advice from guys like ubon and other experts makes me wonder where confused expats like me would be without their help. Thanks.

Since you have a child that will need a non-o visa to apply for a dependent extension after you get yours based upon retirement it would be best if you both went out to get your non-o visas at the same time. Immigration will not do a conversion to a non immigrant visa for dependent extensions for those getting retirement extensions.

Both will issue a non-o visa for you being 50 or over and will accept theincome letter from you embassy to meet the financial requirements. You will need your child's birth certificate plus a copy to apply for their non-o visa.

Thanks very much Ubonjoe! So I will extend my METV stay to Sep 30th, then go to Penang to get our Non-O visas, Non-O Retirement for me and Non-O Dependent for my child, correct? I just need income letter from embassy and birth certificate for child, no hoop jumping necessary I assume. I prefer Penang to Vientiane as I find Malaysia more traveler friendly with no visa necessary. A few more quick follow up questions to confirm my understanding if I may?

1. Can I expect straightforward routine visa processing in Penang with the same next day turnaround as for a tourist visa? (Planning to do this myself, prefer not to use agent). We'll make a vacation of it and stay a few days, no huge hurry to re-enter in any case.

2. We both get 90 days stamps when we next enter Thailand, right?

3. Then we must "extend" our visas for 1 year during the 90 days' stay in Thailand, with more than 15 days remaining before the 90 days run out, right?

4. For the extension, same documentation requirements as in original Non-O visa, i.e. income cert letter from embassy and birth cert for child?

It sounds very straight forward and simple which is what I wished for, just want to be sure I didn't miss anything. We pay the usual fees of course and have to do 90 day reporting and will need re-entry permits to travel from then on, which is well understood.

Thanks again Ubonjoe!

And I totally hear you @jacksam and couldn't agree more! I think there should be a button to click on to buy people a beer or coffee as a small token to show our appreciation.

Edited by kidizen

• Doing a conversion followed by an extension of stay will require 3 visits to Bangkok immigration. As your child needs a non 'O' visa it would probably be easiest to get non 'O' visas for you both from an Embassy/Consulate during your next exit.

Once your extension is granted your child can get an extension of stay as a family member (child) for the same duration. Usual copies, birth certificate and proof of your extension.

Probably not much point in extending for 60 days if you qualify for a 1 year extension.

Thanks very much Ubonjoe! So I will extend my METV stay to Sep 30th, then go to Penang to get our Non-O visas, Non-O Retirement for me and Non-O Dependent for my child, correct? I just need income letter from embassy and birth certificate for child, no hoop jumping necessary I assume. I prefer Penang to Vientiane as I find Malaysia more traveler friendly with no visa necessary. A few more quick follow up questions to confirm my understanding if I may?

1. Can I expect straightforward routine visa processing in Penang with the same next day turnaround as for a tourist visa? (Planning to do this myself, prefer not to use agent). We'll make a vacation of it and stay a few days, no huge hurry to re-enter in any case.

2. We both get 90 days stamps when we next enter Thailand, right?

3. Then we must "extend" our visas for 1 year during the 90 days' stay in Thailand, with more than 15 days remaining before the 90 days run out, right?

4. For the extension, same documentation requirements as in original Non-O visa, i.e. income cert letter from embassy and birth cert for child?

It sounds very straight forward and simple which is what I wished for, just want to be sure I didn't miss anything. We pay the usual fees of course and have to do 90 day reporting and will need re-entry permits to travel from then on, which is well understood.

Thanks again Ubonjoe!

And I totally hear you @jacksam and couldn't agree more! I think there should be a button to click on to buy people a beer or coffee as a small token to show our appreciation.

it is up to you when you apply for the visas. You do not have to wait for your visas to expire to apply for the non-o visas.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. You will be able to apply for your extensions during the last 30 days your 90 day entries from the visa.There is no 15 day minimum.

4. Yes but you may need your child's birth certificate legalized by your embassy.

"Both will issue a non-o visa for you being 50 or over and will accept the income letter from you embassy to meet the financial requirements."

Give Penang copies of the income letter so you can use the original for the extension at immigration.

• Like 1

Why do people always direct others to go outside country to do something that can be done at immigration? You can change TV,VE, etc to a non-o at immigration.

In this case it was suggested because he needs to get a non immigrant visa for his child. Immigration will not do a conversion for a dependent.

Also not all offices can do the conversions which means a person would have to make two trips 15 days to immigration in Bangkok to do the application and then the visa/entry stamps.

• Like 1