Pensions for British elderly threatened if Brexit wins, warns David Cameron

webfact

And this from the man who told you 'we are all in this together' as the rich get a tax cut and the poor got screwed; and my personal favorite 'no ifs, ands or buts, I will cut immigration from the hundreds of thousands to the tens of thousands' as the net migration to the UK doubled. Cameron the man who told a million lies. There will be no impact on pensions from a BREXIT.

The EU isn't working for Britain. It is corrupt, undemocratic and is ineptly led by members of the European elite who couldn't organize a party in a brewing factory.

VOTE LEAVE.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be the most imporant vote the British people had for a very long time. I wish that they will consider wisely and not let this unique chance for change pass. I hope the scare mongering doesn't work anymore. Politicians, banksters, big business, Eurocrats, all have painted a picture of doom and gloom for Britain should they dare to leave the club. It's time to call the bluff. Once Britain leaves, this house of cards, The United States of Europe, will come crashing down and that will make a refreshing change.

gigglem.gif

Why would you want the EU to come crashing down? And what would be refreshing about it? Would you be happier with everybody killing everybody else like 70 years ago? Total stupid self indulgent crap being spouted on here about the whole Brexit vote. None of you live in England anymore, so what the hell are you all pontificating about. The USA is going through its election grief, and the EU is going through its vote grief. But who wants to wish gloom and doom on over 300 million people who are all just trying to make a living, keep a roof over their heads, and get their children educated. Some of you people on here need to sober up and start using your brains in a positive way. That is my ten cents and it cost you nothing.

OOO ... I can answer this one.

Those with protected jobs (government, etc) or secure pensions and savings benefit by their spending power increasing in a troubled economy. High unemployment generally drives the price of everything down. All those countries with the high youth unemployment are becoming really cheap places to live these days. House prices plummet, food becomes cheaper, luxury goods have even bigger reductions. Now if the EU were to become a real disaster zone, the British pound would probably make a big rise in value.

So bad news for the EU countries, means my spending power increases.

It's common sense really.

What a pathetic piece of excrement this man is !! He should be charged with blackmail and put in jail for such a disgusting attempt at manipulating the voting public ! It would be a very wise move, if the Brexit vote is successful, to relegate this lump of slime to the post of night toilet bucket emptying smile.png

The man should be extradited to the US. he better start packing his bags.

The US has enough problems on its own. Don't they have some remote colony remaining from the empire days they could assign him?

Imagine the amount of bureaucrats with high salaries and amazing pension schemes who lose their jobs if an economy like Britain pulls out from EU.

Their political friends will try to prevent that.

"Pensions are increased in line with inflation each year". Not if you do not live in the EU. I have an Australian passport, live in Thailand. My Old Age Pension is fixed at what I got when I first claimed it - 2008, age 65. No increase for me here in Thailand! If the pound goes down I will lose short-term - but it will go up again when we leave the EUSSR. LEAVE! And most posters on this forum seem to agree.

"Pensions are increased in line with inflation each year". Not if you do not live in the EU. I have an Australian passport, live in Thailand. My Old Age Pension is fixed at what I got when I first claimed it - 2008, age 65. No increase for me here in Thailand! If the pound goes down I will lose short-term - but it will go up again when we leave the EUSSR. LEAVE! And most posters on this forum seem to agree.

If most posters on this forum think that sterling is going to bounce back pronto after BREXIT then they are in for a very rude shock. The smart money will have their assets suitably hedged. Yes, is the answer to your next question.......

Of course Cameron is spot on with his comment re 'self-inflicted recession' and none more at risk than our Soi Buakaow BREXIT team who if they get their wishes will see their pensions knocked back in real terms as sterling takes an extended bath. The end result will be that some will be able to enjoy their pyrrhic referendum victory back home luxuriating in British winters. Life is grossly unfair when there are no downsizing options after Leo.

We've seen company pensions decimated under Brit govts - but I doubt they'll be able to decimate the state pension. Too much opposition.

Cameron is just desperate and prepared to spout any rubbish to frighten those he thinks most likely to vote Brexit.

Nowhere are pensions written in stone, if the money isn't there it can't be paid. Argentina had to stop paying pensions altogether for a long time when they were cut of from the worlds financial markets, just saying.

So you don't think this was just an attempt to scare the old electorate?

If they are not, they should be, particularly listening to the forum BREXIT team flailing about.

Edited by SheungWan

This is a scare tactic. No pensions are going to be cut because of a departure from the EU! In fact, the pensions will be more secure with a departure from the EU and their taxes. Vote Leave!

Yes, vote leave, but the GBP has gone down around a couple of Baht in the past few days as the polls get nearer.

Does this mean that if Brexit succeeds, the GBP will get weaker and the baht will fall?

If that is the case, should we not be voting to stay in?

If the UK does leave the EU, I suppose after a few months the GBP will get stronger.

I did not say I

I cannot believe that you, or anyone else, would be stupid enough to base their vote on the short-term exchange rate movements. Remember, GBP/THB was 45 a couple of years ago, the other week I got 52 on a transfer from the UK.

There is also the Lemming principle, people follow people - usually on the way down. I remember standing in Nationwide when the woman in front of me paid in GBP 25k from closing her Halifax account because of fears about HBOS financial stability. Silly cow was covered by the UK government guarantee up to GBP 40k (at that time) - but, no, she had to listen to and absorb the scaremongering. Her actions were totally unnecessary and, as with Northern Rock, only adds to the feeling of instability.

Maybe that is why Cameron has implemented Project Fear.

Whenever there is instability/risk there is volatility; where there is volatility there is speculation; where there is speculation there are winners and losers. Try to avoid losing too much. I now have enough Baht here (at what I deem to be a decent rate) for 6 months. After the hiatus of 23rd June let's see where the market settle down at.

Who said I would base my vote on that? I am for Brexit, did you not read my last sentence?

Did YOU not read my first.............. I didn't say you would. I said I didn't think anyone would be stupid enough etc, etc.

You were suggesting that we should vote to stay in.... or does "If that is the case, should we not be voting to stay in?" mean something different ?

Do not worry about pensions.

Donald Tusk nails it, you will not need a pension.

But Donald Tusk, president of the European council, has gone much further. If Britain leaves the EU, that could eventually end up with the downfall of Western civilisation, he says.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/13/eu-referendum-live-labour-remain-campaign-final-10-days-vote

Smell the fear.

But Donald Tusk, president of the European council, has gone much further. If Britain leaves the EU, that could eventually end up with the downfall of Western civilisation, he says.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2016/jun/13/eu-referendum-live-labour-remain-campaign-final-10-days-vote

Smell the fear.

He was much more specific.

the destruction ... of western political civilisation in its entirety

Western political civilisation?

I guess he means the destruction of the humongous European political apparatus? All those overpaid unknown administrators out?

YES!

In its entirety???

YES!

YES!

Political Civilisation?????

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

(Who is this guy? EU Council President Donald Tusk. Never heard of him before. Has he got a job?)

Of course Cameron is spot on with his comment re 'self-inflicted recession' and none more at risk than our Soi Buakaow BREXIT team who if they get their wishes will see their pensions knocked back in real terms as sterling takes an extended bath. The end result will be that some will be able to enjoy their pyrrhic referendum victory back home luxuriating in British winters. Life is grossly unfair when there are no downsizing options after Leo.

This is of course your opinion.

Others may or may not share it.

YMMV.

Cameron is losing the argument to stay in the EU.

So scare tactics now, pensioners will be no better off, no worse off.

2009 Cameron wanted the UK out of Europe.

Now he has all his little perks ( scams) he wants to keep the UK in.

Spineless puppet of Merkel.

This was the apporach of Project Fear during the Scottish referendum - scare the bejeesus out of the grey vote with wild speculations and tenuous suggestions.

As opposed to presenting what?

Do you really believe the SNP tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? And Boris and clown Gove speak honestly?

How naive, almost quaint.

Sadly all politicians seem to trot lies out with the slightest hesitation to further their own agenda and deliberately mislead people more blatantly than ever.

Cameron is losing the argument to stay in the EU.

So scare tactics now, pensioners will be no better off, no worse off.

2009 Cameron wanted the UK out of Europe.

Now he has all his little perks ( scams) he wants to keep the UK in.

Spineless puppet of Merkel.

This was the apporach of Project Fear during the Scottish referendum - scare the bejeesus out of the grey vote with wild speculations and tenuous suggestions.

As opposed to presenting what?

Do you really believe the SNP tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth? And Boris and clown Gove speak honestly?

How naive, almost quaint.

Sadly all politicians seem to trot lies out with the slightest hesitation to further their own agenda and deliberately mislead people more blatantly than ever.

I thought that it would be 0 or negative interest rates imposed by the ECB that would ruin pension plans

What a pathetic piece of excrement this man is !! He should be charged with blackmail and put in jail for such a disgusting attempt at manipulating the voting public ! It would be a very wise move, if the Brexit vote is successful, to relegate this lump of slime to the post of night toilet bucket emptying smile.png

The US has enough problems on its own. Don't they have some remote colony remaining from the empire days they could assign him?

The Falklands?

YMMV.

Thank you for telling me that it is my opinion. That is really informative. As is the equally useless observation that others might not agree. Just about typical of the forum BREXIT supporters here who haven't a clue other than to cheerfully advocate cutting off their own noses to spite their faces when it comes to the economic consequences for pensioners living in Thailand. I am just trying to work out now which boozer in Soi Buakaow all this wisdom emanates from. I have my suspicions but it might be more than one.

Smell the fear.

He was much more specific.

the destruction ... of western political civilisation in its entirety

Western political civilisation?

I guess he means the destruction of the humongous European political apparatus? All those overpaid unknown administrators out?

YES!

In its entirety???

YES!

YES!

Political Civilisation?????

cheesy.gif cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

(Who is this guy? EU Council President Donald Tusk. Never heard of him before. Has he got a job?)

Political Civilisation.

That should nail it for OUT then.

YMMV.

Thank you for telling me that it is my opinion. That is really informative. As is the equally useless observation that others might not agree. Just about typical of the forum BREXIT supporters here who haven't a clue other than to cheerfully advocate cutting off their own noses to spite their faces when it comes to the economic consequences for pensioners living in Thailand. I am just trying to work out now which boozer in Soi Buakaow all this wisdom emanates from. I have my suspicions but it might be more than one.

Can't see state pensions being affected and yes the pound may fall but it won't be forever...somethings we will have to put up with until it sorts its self out. Because unless you have a crystal ball you and no one else knows what is going to happen...its all just speculation and numbers from both side of the fence.

Edited by Caps

There is always South Georgia down near the Antarctic. That is usually nice 2 or 3 days of the year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Georgia_and_the_South_Sandwich_Islands

Edited by billd766

YMMV.

If you are suggesting that I am living in a boozer on Soi BuaKhao then I can only applaud your ignorance and the fact that you missed where I live by about 500 km. I don't even live on that side of the country.