Visitors, don't worry, old dollars notes still accepted

geovalin

The National Bank of Cambodia responded to rumours yesterday that local banks were no longer accepting US dollar banknotes with minor imperfections, such as small tears, creases or ink stamps, stating that the central bank had not changed its policies.

The clarification came after a post on social media went viral earlier this week, claiming that Cambodian banks were no longer accepting US dollar banknotes unless they were in mint condition. As more Cambodians commented and shared experiences online, it became increasingly confusing as to what banks were and were not accepting.

Hoping to clear up the confusion, the central bank responded by posting an undated copy of its regulations on the acceptance of US dollar and Cambodian riel banknotes on its Facebook page. But as the announcement was made without any explanation, it only appeared to heighten public anxiety, setting off a flurry of speculation and commentary.

read more http://www.phnompenhpost.com/business/central-bank-allays-dollar-concerns

I thought this was normal?

Damaged notes are very difficult to change across Asia.

I think this is true. But it's a relative thing. It's probably some degree of an exaggeration to state that notes have to be in "mint" condition, but notes in bad condition can certainly be problematic. There are also some "bad years" I think, i.e., series notes that were notoriously subject to having been counterfeited. If getting notes for currency exchange from my credit union in the states, I generally ask for "new or best possible condition", and they always oblige. Several years ago I had a couple of notes that the first place I tried wouldn't exchange; I just walked on a block or two and was able to exchange them somewhere else.

I thought this was normal?

Damaged notes are very difficult to change across Asia.

I think this is true. But it's a relative thing. It's probably some degree of an exaggeration to state that notes have to be in "mint" condition, but notes in bad condition can certainly be problematic. There are also some "bad years" I think, i.e., series notes that were notoriously subject to having been counterfeited. If getting notes for currency exchange from my credit union in the states, I generally ask for "new or best possible condition", and they always oblige. Several years ago I had a couple of notes that the first place I tried wouldn't exchange; I just walked on a block or two and was able to exchange them somewhere else.

I agree fully, If one exchange booth don't want them another will take them. When I know I am going to take them overseas I always ask the bank at home for the newest style and best looking bills......

The exchange booths sell them to other people after adding their commission so the next customer may not want the old style bills............ I can understand..................

When i went to my bank in Sydney to get some travel money

i told them i wanted new notes,, the reply was,,, sure but it will

take a few days,,, it seems its a common request, been there

with the refusal to exchange on Bangkok, i'm careful now.

Have new-style US dollar notes been issued then?

Someone post a picture of 1, 5, 10, 20? (or what ever you have, or internet link). I always have a few hundred in my safe - and I have big dogs - for travel and they are definitely old style, but clean

I have been traveling to Thailand and Asia as a whole for over 20 years... This has always been a concern for me.... I have had what appeared to be good quality notes refused.. I always carry $100 notes which I get from the bank ahead of time, spend the time going through every note and then swap out the ones that I don't like.. My bank is accustomed to me doing this and they now even prescan them for me before I arrive.... They give me an office to sit in to get the sorting done... Well worth my time for ease of exchange in LOS.... I have had notes refused for any wear on the "Ben's" face from being folded and rubbed during use.. Too many ink marks are a no go also.. no tears is a must... I deal with Super Rich and they gave me the guidelines they use... Breeze in and breeze out every time now....

Have new-style US dollar notes been issued then?

Someone post a picture of 1, 5, 10, 20? (or what ever you have, or internet link). I always have a few hundred in my safe - and I have big dogs - for travel and they are definitely old style, but clean

Here. (scroll to bottom)

But I think the US20 is about to change. (Actually, I think other changes to other notes coming by 2020 as well...)

(If you have any of the old large-denomination notes - not printed since 1946/withdrawn 1969 - KEEP THEM; they're collectors' items and worth more than their face value)

And for the DIY crowd...

Archived