Intended Date of Travel

A friend's wife has a UK visa that is valid until 31July 2016.

He wants to stay a little longer and has applied for another 6 month visa.

The issue is that he put down an intended travel date of 25th July but actually booked flights for 22nd July.

My question is does the 'second' visa cause the first one to be cancelled ?

If not the airline should accept the first visa as valid for travel out but would need to accept the second visit for the return journey on 11th August.

Any thoughts ?

I stand to be corrected by those more knowledgeable than I; but I am fairly sure that if they issue the new visa they will cancel the existing one.

Which means that if I am correct her old visa will be invalid for travel and she will have to use the new one.

UK visit visas start on the intended date of travel entered on the application form or the date of issue; whichever is the later.

So, if I am correct the earliest she will be able to enter the UK will be 25th July.

Notice I say "if they issue the new visa."

Although it is not a set rule, in order to prevent people from using visit visas for de facto UK residence there is a convention that a visitor should not spend more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.; unless they have an exceptional need to so do; e.g. private medical treatment.

So if there is a likelihood of her breaching this convention, her new application could well be refused.

Thank you for that input I appreciate it.

I have not come across 'over-lapping' visas before and I have not read anywhere that the issue of a later visa invalidates the earlier one. That said, I can see the logic of it.

No problem with the new visa - genuine reasons for the visit (3rd this year) and well within the 6m guideline.

I had a similar situation last year where my GF had two VVs that overlapped. I never managed to find an answer to a similar question to yours after spending a fortune on premium rate calls and asking in forums etc.

• Like 1

I had a similar situation last year where my GF had two VVs that overlapped. I never managed to find an answer to a similar question to yours after spending a fortune on premium rate calls and asking in forums etc.

I remember when VFS has a telephone helpline. I can't help feeling that if that still existed the error could have been easily communicated.

VFS have no say in the processing of visa applications. Once sent off the only job they have left is to hand back paperwork and passport.

To have any influence or make any changes you would need to contact UKVI. The odds on that being possible is minimal. You cannot discuss an application with the person processing it beyond sending an email and hoping it will arrive on the desk of the ECO. Not sure there is a mechanism for VFS to pass on further communications to the Embassy. Not seen any evidence they do!

ECO s may phone you if they choose but you cannot phone them.

Years ago I phoned an ECO in Bangkok and had a really useful conversation that greatly assisted the visit visa application, Those were the days!

Edited by bobrussell
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just by way of update for those who are interested in these things...

The UK visa was issued in 4 working days. Application submitted 22 June and issued on 28th June.

More importantly, 2 emails from me to Vfs or the British Embassy (I think the latter) got through to the ECO because the visa start date was the one I requested.

• Like 1