Thailand: Bangkok authorities brace for looming downpours, flash floods

webfact

Thailand: Bangkok authorities brace for looming downpours, flash floods
by Asian Correspondent Staff

BANGKOK: -- AUTHORITIES in Thailand are preparing for prolonged downpours which are predicted to unleash a series flash floods across its capital of Bangkok this week.

According to the Bangkok Post, the Highways Department has placed staff on 24-hour alert to monitor 14 roads in the north and east of the capital.

The staff is also racing against time to replace water drainage pipes.

The department’s Deputy Director, Sawawut Songsiwilai, said workers, water pumps and machinery were forced to be deployed after heavy rains threatened to overwhelm some roads susceptible to flooding.

Full story: https://asiancorrespondent.com/2016/06/thailand-authorities-brace-flash-floods/

-- ASIAN CORRESPONDENT 2016-06-20

Always last minute rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

Come on, what are you suggesting? That they've had an unprecedented dry spell, they've known that the El Nino was dissipating and rains are coming for a year, and only now that rains are actually forecast they're clamouring to get pipes replaced?

At least they're bracing for flash floods, that at least shows some indication that they've learned something from the previous 2000 rainy seasons... It's a start!

Looks like the PTP flood mitigation projects of a few years back are all working well, something like the Junta's drought plan put in place this year will be working well next dry season......................................coffee1.gif

Looks like the PTP flood mitigation projects of a few years back are all working well, something like the Junta's drought plan put in place this year will be working well next dry season......................................coffee1.gif

I remember the PTP well with their flood mitigation... no flooding no flooding.. and the fool that i was believed them until it was too late and my home was flooded. Biggest liars ever, they had satellite images and aerial pictures and still they did not give the people real warnings because it would have made them look bad.

I doubt the junta can do any worse than that (they can try of course). But no matter who is telling me something about flooding I will try to find my own information because they all not to be trusted.

Always last minute rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifcheesy.gif

Indeed, this was predicted last year, but naturally, no action until June.

Inevitable really, it's the Thai way rarely to learn from experience and never to learn from someone else's experience.

Unless there's a buck in it.

W

According to the Meteorological Department, rainfall is expected to subside from Sunday before returning to most parts of the country from Wednesday to Friday.

Well, once again, the Thai weather wonders missed on that prediction.

Sunday was dry in BKK, and now Monday afternoon it's pouring cats and dogs...

It is all very well you guys saying the authorities should have known heavy rain would come to Bangkok at some point in the future. However, what if Bangkok had experienced 30 years of continuous drought? Then the flood preparations would have been completely unnecessary. The fact that Bangkok has regularly experienced torrential downpours year after year since it was established is not absolute proof that this would continue. The world is experiencing climate change, and the money saved by not preparing for floods might have been needed instead for snowplows.

When it's rainy.. prepare for flood..

When it's dry.. blame lack of rain..

So when will they get together and understand that proper water management can help mitigate the effects of drought during the "summer" period..

It is all very well you guys saying the authorities should have known heavy rain would come to Bangkok at some point in the future. However, what if Bangkok had experienced 30 years of continuous drought? Then the flood preparations would have been completely unnecessary. The fact that Bangkok has regularly experienced torrential downpours year after year since it was established is not absolute proof that this would continue. The world is experiencing climate change, and the money saved by not preparing for floods might have been needed instead for snowplows.

I expect we can all play the 'what if...?' game. Personally I prefer more empirical methods. Drought was predicted last year (Ei Nino), with floods afterwards (la Nina - still to come). Prayuth repeated the drought prediction last autumn, but was anything done? Well, yes, he forbade farmers to plant a 2nd crop. That didn't go down well, neither did it make any difference, they just ignored him.

Thailand always closes the stable door after the horse has bolted. It's a part of what makes them so lovable. Wilful stupidity can be fascinating.

W

Normally I never do this to forum members comments, but:

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

SIX MONTHS of drought were more than enough time to prepare.

But no, now that the downpours have already started, they finally "brace" themselves.

Same story each and every year. EVERY freakin' year!

They've had decades to do it in reality. it's no secret that it rains heavily in Thailand during certain months of the year. Yet they have still to grasp this.......

Well, they've shut the windows on the common areas. The front will become a klong. luckily there's an escape route out the back. Really, you would've thought they would've sorted this out by now, it's not exactly unexpected.