Water Filter

Isan Farang

The filter man has got lost, so my plan is to order what is required and perform the job myself.

Would I be correct that the filter media required in the filter receiving the water from the government supply is Activated Carbon ?. After I know whats required I can go ahead and place the order.

post-1136-0-81542800-1466421474_thumb.jp

i have mentioned this as a reply to a different topic before:

if you make alterations or modifications to your household water supply system, consider changing EVERYTHING over to polyethylene.

you might have noticed - well, at least up here in issan - the new black or black with blue stripe water pipes fitted to your meter.

reason being, pvc uses lead as a stabilizer. and it leaches. big time.

when your pvc pipes go brittle and crack at the slightest touch all lead has left - usually by means of bleeding into the water running through them.

read up on it, it might safe your children's intelligence.

Its the large stand up filter, the one on the left is a canister filter and I know what goes in there.

This water is not for drinking so I only need clean water to enter the house, the water from the road supply is brown in color. My wife told me the filter guy uses carbon but there is no point in ordering a whole sack from BKK and then find out some thing else is required.

Does the blue canister have a pleated paper filter in it? I've been considering putting one on my townhouse's water inlet, thinking it would take the brown-ness out of the water. Is that not adequate? I thought the brown color was from suspended dirt that a paper filter would strain out. Obviously I'm not expert. Just looking for info.

Our large sediment filter has: 1/3 pebbles, 1/3 sand and 1/3 carbon in that order going from bottom to top. We flush it every week. The filtration media should only have to be replaced every 3 years or so if you flush it frequently.

Its the large stand up filter, the one on the left is a canister filter and I know what goes in there.

This water is not for drinking so I only need clean water to enter the house, the water from the road supply is brown in color. My wife told me the filter guy uses carbon but there is no point in ordering a whole sack from BKK and then find out some thing else is required.

Can you show us how your storage tank and filters are housed, inside a building? Is that a washing machine in there, too? I like the idea of those systems being housed out of the elements.

post-28626-0-96340700-1466530501_thumb.j

if you make alterations or modifications to your household water supply system, consider changing EVERYTHING over to polyethylene.

you might have noticed - well, at least up here in issan - the new black or black with blue stripe water pipes fitted to your meter.

when your pvc pipes go brittle and crack at the slightest touch all lead has left - usually by means of bleeding into the water running through them.

Thanx for the info. After googling, I learned that countries have been regulating the ban of lead as a stabilizer in PVC pipe since 2010. Do you know the current levels of the regulated lead content in PVC pipe mfr in Thailand and China? Also, in areas where blue pvc pipe is still used by the municipalities, wouldn't the filters ^ remove lead leeching contaminants and compounds before the H20 entered the home?

If your water is brown in color, should definitely get a sediment filter and put it in ahead of the carbon or other media filter. Cartridge ones are the most convenient. Will greatly help and also extend the life of the filter media.

If the water is brown, might not just be dirt, might also be iron and/or managanese.

Best to get the water tested first so you know what it is you need to remove.

Can you show us how your storage tank and filters are housed, inside a building? Is that a washing machine in there, too? I like the idea of those systems being housed out of the elements.

attachicon.gifNice H2O tank room setup.jpg

These items are covered under an extension that was added to the house to shade the sun.

The washing machine is supplied through the canister filter.

post-1136-0-32103900-1466557571_thumb.jp

Thanx for the info. After googling, I learned that countries have been regulating the ban of lead as a stabilizer in PVC pipe since 2010. Do you know the current levels of the regulated lead content in PVC pipe mfr in Thailand and China? Also, in areas where blue pvc pipe is still used by the municipalities, wouldn't the filters ^ remove lead leeching contaminants and compounds before the H20 entered the home?

1. no, i don't know lead levels permitted in thailand and no matter what the regulation i would not trust manufacturers to comply.

2. that would depend on the type of filter, however there appears to be more pvc plumbing in use downhill from the filter.

i am not saying it will kill you but it is harmful.

i was suggesting to use a more neutral material when it comes to renewing sections of your home plumbing.

another advantage is that polyethylene fittings are not glued but threaded and re - useable.

If your water is brown in color, should definitely get a sediment filter and put it in ahead of the carbon or other media filter. Cartridge ones are the most convenient. Will greatly help and also extend the life of the filter media.

If the water is brown, might not just be dirt, might also be iron and/or managanese.

Best to get the water tested first so you know what it is you need to remove.

I was going to start with a sediment filter that looks like the blue canister in the pics above, although I've seen ones with a clear cover which I think I like better. Then, if the water is still brown, I'd upgrade to something else, after testing.

These items are covered under an extension that was added to the house to shade the sun.

The washing machine is supplied through the canister filter.

attachicon.gifIMG_0296.JPG

Oh, I think I misunderstood your setup: The blue cartridge only filters the water to the washing machine and the hose bib? The tall silver one is the only filter for water going into the house? Originally I thought the water went through the blue cartridge first and then through the silver one and I was wondering why.

Edited by wpcoe

Hmmm. That's not what I wanted to hear. laugh.png

Makes sense, though. I remember once having a clear garden hose on the (covered) front patio and it was amazing how fast the algae (or whatever it was -- it looked like large leaves?) grew. Thanks for pointing that out.

If the water from the silver filter is not for consumption then I would suggest using something other than carbon. Carbon can remove sediment (turbid brown colour) but it is an expensive medium for that job. Its main use is the removal of Chlorine and VOCs. Chlorine makes the water taste 'off' and VOC are unlikely to be present. If the brown colour is not turbid then is is probably iron and will require more sophisticated treatment. You should be able to tell if its dissolved iron because laundry and other things will start to get a brown tinge. I assume that all is OK with the laundry, though, as that only goes through a micron size PP filter and you are not complaining about it.

If the laundry filter removes the brown colour then use the same, but bigger, type of filter rather than the silver one. Then you could maybe use the silver one for your drinking water.

If the water from the silver filter is not for consumption then I would suggest using something other than carbon. Carbon can remove sediment (turbid brown colour) but it is an expensive medium for that job. Its main use is the removal of Chlorine and VOCs. Chlorine makes the water taste 'off' and VOC are unlikely to be present. If the brown colour is not turbid then is is probably iron and will require more sophisticated treatment. You should be able to tell if its dissolved iron because laundry and other things will start to get a brown tinge. I assume that all is OK with the laundry, though, as that only goes through a micron size PP filter and you are not complaining about it.

If the laundry filter removes the brown colour then use the same, but bigger, type of filter rather than the silver one. Then you could maybe use the silver one for your drinking water.

I just received confirmation that the stand up filter was previously filled with carbon, its available from my usual supplier in Bangkok for 2,250 Baht per bag.

post-1136-0-89960100-1466855690_thumb.jp

I have another system I use for my drinking water.

post-1136-0-54591000-1466855823_thumb.jp

@Isan Farang: How often was the carbon replaced when the filter man was around? Is carbon routinely back-flushed, or is it simply replaced when it's dirty?

@Isan Farang: How often was the carbon replaced when the filter man was around? Is carbon routinely back-flushed, or is it simply replaced when it's dirty?

I had the carbon changed yearly, I never bother to back flush. In my old house the water was not clear and left a stain.

With the set up I have now the shower water is very clear, also by using carbon it can remove various impurities.

I guess people will have different ideas on the subject but this set up works fine for my intended use.

Anybody care to comment on Arjen's back flushing carbon? For whole-house carbon filtering, is it worthwhile/recommended to back flush a carbon filter?

@Isan Farang: Were you advised to back flush and you didn't, or was it simply something that never came up?