Lower Phuket taxi fares to be considered

snoop1130

Lower Phuket taxi fares to be considered
Eakkapop Thongtub

1466420427_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: -- Following a video of a Thai speaking westerner complaining about the cost of a taxi on the island going viral, the Phuket Land Transportation Office has confirmed that they are looking into taxi prices.

The video clip was initially uploaded by Facebook user, Jack Brown on Saturday afternoon (June 18) and yesterday morning (June 19) had amassed more than 105,000 views and 11,000 Likes.

The clip was later uploaded to his Youtube channel. (See story here.)

The issue about taxi fares was discussed this morning (June 20) when Governor Chamroen Thipyapongthada held a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall with the Director of the Phuket Land Transportation Office.

Gov Chamroen said, “The minimum set price for a taxi in Phuket was set at B200 back in 2013 after it was found that some tourists had been cheated on fares. A taxi driver should not ask for more than B200 if they cover a route within two kilometers.

“However, we have today decided that all taxis must now display about the cost of their service in four languages; Thai, Chinese, Russian and English so that people know about the cost before agreeing to use the service.

“If any passenger believes they have been overcharged then they should call the Phuket Land Transportation Office call centre on 1584.

Full Story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/lower-phuket-taxi-fares-to-be-considered-57938.php#zm83KwvsVwHITzRT.97

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2016-06-20

They need a flat fare hop-on / hop-off baht bus system, and take away the ability of the drivers to rip off tourists.

When are you finally going to grasp that Pattaya is a CITY and Phuket is an ISLAND, with different needs? Its apples and oranges,

You've been banging your drum about this for so many years now I'm surprised you haven't broken it.

I hate to break it to you but people all over the world rip off tourists.

Back to reality we have had so many get the taxi stories in the past there's no point getting excited about this.

Unlike your non-existent baht buses there will be another story along soon.

They need a flat fare hop-on / hop-off baht bus system, and take away the ability of the drivers to rip off tourists.

When are you finally going to grasp that Pattaya is a CITY and Phuket is an ISLAND, with different needs? Its apples and oranges,

You've been banging your drum about this for so many years now I'm surprised you haven't broken it.

I hate to break it to you but people all over the world rip off tourists.

Back to reality we have had so many get the taxi stories in the past there's no point getting excited about this.

Unlike your non-existent baht buses there will be another story along soon.

"When are you finally going to grasp that Pattaya is a CITY and Phuket is an ISLAND" - when are you going to grasp that as Pattaya became a city by the sea, Phuket is becoming an island city, and needs similar infrastructure.

"Its apples and oranges," - no. It's a Pattaya and Phuket, and both are in Thailand. A two kilometer journey in Pattaya is 10 baht. The same journey on Phuket is 200 baht. That's 20 times more expensive, and it simply can not be justified. Corruption sets this ridiculous mark up price.

"I hate to break it to you but people all over the world rip off tourists." - sure, but rarely is it more or less, state sanctioned.

"Back to reality we have had so many get the taxi stories in the past there's no point getting excited about this." - of course there is no need to get excited. The Thai military will not even touch this issue. There is no hope on this issue. The western tourist market is in rapid decline here, with Chinese package holiday makers in their coach buses making up the numbers. The lack of transport here has played a big part in this transition.

"Unlike your non-existent baht buses there will be another story along soon." - yes, there will be, and that story will be about another death on the roads here, courtesy of the inaction in addressing this issue here.

"You've been banging your drum about this for so many years now I'm surprised you haven't broken it." - correct, and whilst the lack of transport continues to kill and maim people here, and change the demographic of tourists coming here, I will continue to be vocal on the issue.

If you don't want to read about transport on Phuket, don't open the thread.

Edited by NamKangMan

“However, we have today decided that all taxis must now display about the cost of their service in four languages; Thai, Chinese, Russian and English so that people know about the cost before agreeing to use the service.

That all sounds fine in theory. But what if the tuk tuk driver demands more on arrival at the destination, or refuses to drive up a hill to the hotel. How does the niave torist fend off a very aggresive drive - all just lip service as usual ....

Gov Chamroen said, “The minimum set price for a taxi in Phuket was set at B200 back in 2013 after it was found that some tourists had been cheated on fares

Can someone explain to me how setting a minimum price helps with inflated prices?

GrabTaxi

2km they estimate THB 135 to 165 (meter) plus 50 booking fee

Good if you can get it in your area.

Availability of meter option good now in Patong. Not good in high season.

Same journey with GrabCar will set you back THB 310 net, which is a bit of a ripoff.

That all sounds fine in theory. But what if the tuk tuk driver demands more on arrival at the destination, or refuses to drive up a hill to the hotel. How does the niave torist fend off a very aggresive drive - all just lip service as usual ....

Simple, you just call the complaint hotline and I guess they will have a police officer assisting you at the spot within a few minutes.

The officer will arrest the driver and he will be prosecuted for breaking the law.

Or you just ask any of the local Thais walking by for assistance. I am sure they all speak English and will side with you as you follow the laws and regulations.

cheesy.gif

How about this for a solution, and i know, it is quite novel so please bear with me:

Install meters in every tuktuk/taxi.

Wow, that would mean everybody pays the same amount, and you can estimate/calculate beforehand what your trip will cost.

And then the local authority can set the price level similar to Bangkok plus a few percent to reflect the higher costs of living in Phuket.

Next you educate tourists and locals about these prices (simple poster at the airport) and give them a contact number in case a driver does not stick to the meter.

And finally, you actually follow up and punish drivers who broke the rules and were reported on that contact number.

Wow, i figured it all out.

Now I just need to find a way to go around the thousand men mafia operating here who will use violence and intimidation to leave things the way they are.

It would be nice if i had a whole army behind me and provisions in the law making me the supreme ruler of the country who can do whatever he wants.

Edited by Bob12345

Gov Chamroen said, “The minimum set price for a taxi in Phuket was set at B200 back in 2013 after it was found that some tourists had been cheated on fares

Can someone explain to me how setting a minimum price helps with inflated prices?

Those "agreed" fares were supposed to be maximum fares but when they put up the signs they somehow turned into "minimum fares" rolleyes.gif

Those "agreed" fares were supposed to be maximum fares but when they put up the signs they somehow turned into "minimum fares" rolleyes.gif

Indeed. The usual bartering process with them starting at extortionate rates but when you bartered hard they pulled out the card and said they cannot go for less than the state fare.

GrabTaxi

Same journey with GrabCar will set you back THB 310 net, which is a bit of a ripoff.

That is a bunch of BS and you know it. I use Grab taxi for my gf all the time.

She goes from sukhumvit 11 to Ladkrabang (24kms) and it costs about 250 baht all in.

Unless you are just talking about grab taxi in Phuket then your numbers are way off.

Good point.

A maximum price should have been set, not a minimum price.

GrabTaxi

That is a bunch of BS and you know it. I use Grab taxi for my gf all the time.

She goes from sukhumvit 11 to Ladkrabang (24kms) and it costs about 250 baht all in.

Unless you are just talking about grab taxi in Phuket then your numbers are way off.

Phuket rates are higher. I'm sure some grease is being applied to placate the powers that be. Enter phuket pick up / drop off into your app and see. Could have saved me 5 minutes.

Good point.

A maximum price should have been set, not a minimum price.

Just a typo i would say

Personally I don't think they get it. Lower taxi rates are not the issue. The TAXI MAFIA are the problem. bah.gif

Exactly - it's not just the price, it's also the abuse to pax by the driver. AND drivers cannot just pick-up a pax anywhere as they drive about. They must return to their home base, thus has double the time and fuel for just one fare = double price ...

“However, we have today decided that all taxis must now display about the cost of their service in four languages"

Please tell me this sign will be on the outside of the taxi so RTP can observe every taxi driving on the street and take appropriate action on the defaulters.

Would be so much easier for ALL Taxi's to be forced to install and use meters.

“However, we have today decided that all taxis must now display about the cost of their service in four languages"

Please tell me this sign will be on the outside of the taxi so RTP can observe every taxi driving on the street and take appropriate action on the defaulters.

Would be so much easier for ALL Taxi's to be forced to install and use meters.

So having a sign in 4 languages will make for a better quality of service. I seriously doubt it. It will certainly do nothing to lower the fares. If the taxis & tuk tuks were truly independent without being run by an influential figure & thus able to set their own rates I am sure they would be able to offer cheaper fares but by the time they make their payoffs there is not much left. Also the fact that there are so many of them with no control on numbers.

When I first lived in Patong the tuk tuk drivers were friendly & cheap. One night I had no money left in my pocket when I got back to my room. The driver simply came back the next day to collect his 10 Baht.

<snip>

When I first lived in Patong the tuk tuk drivers were friendly & cheap. One night I had no money left in my pocket when I got back to my room. The driver simply came back the next day to collect his 10 Baht.

Must have been a m/bike taxi. I can remember the days of a 10 baht m/bike fare in Patong. I can never remember a TukTuk fare less than 200 baht.