Buying New Pc

justwilliam

I am planning to purchase a new laptop PC soon, most likely a global brand such as HP or Acer, to replace my aging but reliable Dell (purchased in the US). I need to purchase in Thailand (for the first time) because I need the Thai language keyboard.

Is there any way at the point of purchase that I can check the OS to be absolutely sure it is genuine and not a copy?

I ask because last year I purchased an expensive global brand name laser printer from the largest retailer in Panthip, only to discover that when I unpacked the carefully sealed boxes, the original driver discs had been stealthily removed from their envelopes and replaced with copies (and I live 200 km from Bangkok).

Thanks for your help.

Is there any way at the point of purchase that I can check the OS to be absolutely sure it is genuine and not a copy?

Before you ** pay ** and leave the shop, ask to check that you are given a genuine disc copy and make sure you have a genuine certificate and serial number with it. Then in control panel and system, check that the serial number matches the disc copy.

If they refuse to give you a genuine disc or a valid serial number then buy elsewhere.

This will become important when Vista comes pre-installed because an invalid copy or failure to register could result in your system being shut down by microsoft.

Edited by Casanundra

How long can you hold off? If you are in the market for a new PC anyway, you might want to wait until you can get a PC with Windows Vista pre-loaded. Vista supposedly will be a "less pirateable" OS so odds will be good it will be genuine. Definitely get the genuine disk.

The important thing isn't wether it is (was?) a genuine Windows that is (was?) installed ... The important thing is wether it is recognized as genuine by Microsoft's online validation ... Even if the installed OS actually was installed from a very genuine CD properly purchased from Microsoft --- that CD could have been copied months before you buy your computer and pirated copies circulated --- meaning your formerly genuine version isn't recognized as anything but yet another pirate version.

If the OS is preinstalled - what hinders one in making an online validation right on spot before paying?

I need to purchase in Thailand (for the first time) because I need the Thai language keyboard.

If it helps, you can get keyboard stickers in Thai for 50 baht or so. If you get the right colours, they can look quite good. Thats what I did with my laptop.

Thank you all for your helpful and speedy responses.

To Casanundra and waldwolf, I have reviewed the MS website on this question, and their advice seems to rely on one being able to visually inspect the holograms and determine if they meet MS' specifications, a process I do not feel competent to undertake successfully here in Thailand.

And to Casanundra, when I bought my Dell in the US it shipped with the OS already installed, and a Dell re-installation disc, not the actual MS Windows XP disc. This re-installation disc (which I have successfully used 3-4 times) does not carry the serial number on its label or packaging.

To Jamie, that's a good idea, and I may indeed consider holding off for Vista for that reason alone.

To Cyberstar, I am afraid I don't understand your first paragraph -- are you saying it's OK to buy a pirated copy provided I can circumvent the MS authentication routines? I am not such a prude as to be wholly opposed to piracy, but since I anticipate I shall be paying the full price for a Genuine Windows OS, I just want what I am paying for.

On your second paragraph, I certainly plan to try this approach, which I anticipate would be foolproof, but anticipate push-back from the retailer.

To Grover. That's also I good idea, but do you think those stickers are robust and will remain attached for some period of time?

One more question. I do remember seeing that there is a program that can be loaded onto a flash memory stick and run on a new PC that will indicate whether the OS is genuine or not. Does anyone know anything about this?

......when I bought my Dell in the US it shipped with the OS already installed, and a Dell re-installation disc, not the actual MS Windows XP disc. This re-installation disc (which I have successfully used 3-4 times) does not carry the serial number on its label or packaging.........
The windows operating system installed on new computers from major manufacturers, or supplied on "Reinstall Disks", is a Microsoft OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version. This version is not the same as those versions sold in retail stores. The OEM versions are tailored to specific manufacturers requirements and often have features removed or added. In most cases, these "Reinstall Disks" will only install on a particular manufacturers make and/or model.

You may also see OEM versions in some large electronic stores, or on websites like Ebay. These are for people who build systems for resale. The license agreement between Microsoft and OEM manufacturers requires the latter to provide ALL support for OEM software. Microsoft does not provide support to the end-user on its OEM designated software.

......One more question. I do remember seeing that there is a program that can be loaded onto a flash memory stick and run on a new PC that will indicate whether the OS is genuine or not. Does anyone know anything about this?.....
There are a number of such utilities, including Microsoft's own GWA (Genuine Windows Advantage). Most, if/when they actually work, only read/covert the encrypted product key in your systems registry, so you can compare it the MS "Genuine" label attached to your system. Both are easly faked. Many owners with truly legal systems are getting false positives from Microsoft's own online servers, stating they have a "pirated" version. If Microsoft can't get it right, what are your chances? :o:D

If possible, purchase either direct from the manufacturer or a very reputable dealer.

good luck

waldwolf

Thank you all for your helpful and speedy responses.

To Grover. That's also I good idea, but do you think those stickers are robust and will remain attached for some period of time?

Yeh, for ages. At least in my case. Just make sure it is centered perfectly and no edges are jutting from the keys & all will be good. You may have to cut some of the stickers to fit as I did. Buy the 3M stickers (120 baht) - they are more expensive but better quality.

To Cyberstar, I am afraid I don't understand your first paragraph -- are you saying it's OK to buy a pirated copy provided I can circumvent the MS authentication routines? ....

Not at all - I was merely trying to say that even if the new laptop has a genuine OS version installed and you're provided with the genuine CD, it might not get validated as genuine. Some staff could've copied it and someone else could've activated the registration key by means of the copy ... its in this sense I mean the outcome of the online validation is more important than holograms, etc.

I am planning to purchase a new laptop PC soon, most likely a global brand such as HP or Acer, to replace my aging but reliable Dell (purchased in the US). I need to purchase in Thailand (for the first time) because I need the Thai language keyboard.

I ask because last year I purchased an expensive global brand name laser printer from the largest retailer in Panthip, only to discover that when I unpacked the carefully sealed boxes, the original driver discs had been stealthily removed from their envelopes and replaced with copies (and I live 200 km from Bangkok).

Thanks for your help.

How did you know that the driver discs were copies? And what is the sense to remove driver discs. The market value of printer driver discs is approx. 0.

More likely is that there was a software update or a shortage and the original company sent burned CD-R. That happens sometimes.

I really have doubts that someone steals original driver discs and replace them with copied one.

How long can you hold off? If you are in the market for a new PC anyway, you might want to wait until you can get a PC with Windows Vista pre-loaded. Vista supposedly will be a "less pirateable" OS so odds will be good it will be genuine. Definitely get the genuine disk.

Vista is already hacked, so it will be exactly the same I think. Actually it is a shame but usually there are less problems with cracked software than with originals. Authentifications which need hours or does not work or make troubles if you change something on your system.

I know some gamer who bought original games with steam protection and than a copy because they could not get the original to work within 1 week but the 100 baht version did work perfect.....

Some software companies really try their best to get rid of the paying customer....

I too am in the process of replacing my reliable 6 year old Dell Inspiron 7500.

I dont want to - but I guess its time.

I have decided to buy my laptop in a shop in Pattaya that I trust. It may cost a bit more, but they have fixed my desktop PC a couple of times and have a good reputation locally.

(its the shop near carrefour in central pattaya).

Lets face it - its bad enough checking if the OS is genuine - the other thing is making sure the

hardware is as advertised as well.

I know we can check it all out in the shop in theory - but that is not always practical.

There is no 'sale of goods act here' so buyer beware.

You could by the OS separately - I know the laptops in the shop I mentioned come with just DOS I believe.

Thanks again for your replies.

As a matter of interest, I have asked this question directly of the MS support organization (by email), and the best they could come up with was "inspect the holograms."

To h90 -- I was just as mystified as you as to why anyone would want those printer driver discs. But the theft was real. Somebody carefully and almost invisibly slit the original disc envelopes along one edge, took out the originals, and replaced them with unmarked Princo discs carrying the drivers and other programs (I'm sure you are aware that Princo is one of the most popular suppliers of blank discs in Thailand).

They never bothered to re-seal the disc envelopes, but they did re-seal all the external packaging and boxes, and well enough to fool me (just an average consumer not expecting to be defrauded).

Thanks again for your replies.

As a matter of interest, I have asked this question directly of the MS support organization (by email), and the best they could come up with was "inspect the holograms."

To h90 -- I was just as mystified as you as to why anyone would want those printer driver discs. But the theft was real. Somebody carefully and almost invisibly slit the original disc envelopes along one edge, took out the originals, and replaced them with unmarked Princo discs carrying the drivers and other programs (I'm sure you are aware that Princo is one of the most popular suppliers of blank discs in Thailand).

They never bothered to re-seal the disc envelopes, but they did re-seal all the external packaging and boxes, and well enough to fool me (just an average consumer not expecting to be defrauded).

what disadvantage did you had? Drivers are usually anyway free to download?

What advantage would they have.

Why wouldn't they take out the original disks, just copy them and put them in again?

On the other hand if it was just a newer version or they wanted to replace them, why would the slit the original envelopes? If there are the wrong or outdated Disks and I want to replace them with newer software I wouldn't make it secret, I would make it official.

Most probably we won't find that out. But did you had any loose?

It's disheartening to read all this microsoft stuff. I think I will be hanging on to windows 98 as long as possible, and then move to Linux. There is no way people in the 3rd world can afford legitimate copies of windows. Many 1st world countries find the license fees to be burdensome. Do I remember reading that Germany some years ago went Microsoft Free ?

h90,

I do not have answers to any of your questions except one: I used the copied discs, and the printer seemed to work fine. But in any event, a couple of weeks later I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from the HP web site, and have had no problems since.

Thanks for taking an interest in my situation.

Bill Seymour