Throat lozenges which contain neomycin should be removed from drug list

webfact

Throat lozenges which contain neomycin should be removed from drug list

2306013-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Public Health has been urged to delete throat lozenges which contain neomycin antibiotic from the list of antibiotics on ground that the antibiotic does not treat sore throat but tends to lead to drug resistance microbes.

The Drug Watch Organization, the Thai Health Organization and a network of medical practitioners of Chulalongkorn and Mahidol universities and the Foundation for Consumers jointly staged a press conference on Thursday to warn the public of the danger of the overuse of antibiotics.

Dr Niyada Kiatying-angsulee of Drug Watch Organization disclosed that 88,000 Thais are now infected with bacteria which are resistant to antibiotics each year and, of these, 20,000-30,000 die each year with antibiotic resistance illnesses.

She blamed overuse of or improper use of antibiotics for leading to resistance problem.

Dr Niyada said that 80 percent of sore throat cases were not caused by bacteria and, hence, the application of anti-biotic medication would not help cure or ease the illness because sore throat cases were most caused by virus.

Also, she said that 80 percent of diarrhea cases were caused by virus and, hence, the use of antibiotics would not help much but would, instead, cause the bacteria to become more resistant to antibiotics.

Dr Pison Chongtrakul of the medical science faculty of Chulalongkorn Unversity noted that lozenges which contain antibiotics such as neomycin should be deleted from the drug list because neomycin does not react to bacteria.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/throat-lozenges-contain-neomycin-removed-drug-list/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-24

Going to a pharmacy in Thailand is like going to a lollie shop..

Just tell your problem and they will give a pill for it.

No need for a doctors opinion.

Ok, I guess it's the standard pack of amoxycillin they'll give to any one with a sore throat next.

Also some hospitals and doctors should know that virus cannot be treated with antibiotics...some of them seem to lack this basic knowledge

Thank goodness I don't have to go to a Doctor every time I have an ear ache or swollen tonsils to do exactly what they always do (prescribe an antibiotic). No, antibiotics don't work on a virus, but the virus many times leads to a bacterial infection, which if it happens to a be a strep infection, can lead to a kidney inflammation if not treated with antibiotics.

The real problem here, as in the rest of the world, is people take the pills until they feel better and don't complete the full course of treatment. Another problem, specific to Asia (especially Thailand) is the packaging. For instance in many pharmacies they sell a box of Augmentin that only has 7 pills. This medication is meant to be taken 2 times per day (even the 1 gram tablets), but no, they only take one a day or only for 3 1/2 days. Must be good enough..., no? No, and that's why people should go to a LICENSED Doctor, who actually went to med school and graduated to actually know how much they need to take and how long.

The other big, most, major contributing factor to the development of antibiotic resistance bacteria is all the antibiotics that are included in the feed of pigs, cattle and other commercial animals to prevent them getting sick while they're fattened up for market. We're taking antibiotics all the time if your eating any chicken, eggs, beef, pork, dairy and even farmed fish.

Okay, I'm off the soap box :). Leave the pharmacy business here alone. I don't need a Doctor's prescription for every little ouchy...

Very smart move. Antibiotics are useless in 95% of the cases or sore throat.

Just a tiny step in good direction, the abuse of antibiotics is enormous in Thailand and the next generations are going to pay a dear price for this.

A friend of mine (not the sharpest tool in the shed) would go to the

doctor and insist on antibiotics for any ailment, between himself, his

sister and mother they had a cabinet full of leftover antibiotics, and

one day my friend got really sick, guess what the hospital prescribed,

he was in real trouble now because he built up a resistance to it.

When I'd be Thai and produce this stuff, I'd propose not to make in 'lozenge' shape anymore but in square or round form, should keep all the ones involved in banning my little money-maker busy for another ten years to decide about the consequences of this essential change in the receipe... LOL, been there, seen that!

Going to a pharmacy in Thailand is like going to a lollie shop..

Just tell your problem and they will give a pill for it.

No need for a doctors opinion.

Ok, I guess it's the standard pack of amoxycillin they'll give to any one with a sore throat next.

Also some hospitals and doctors should know that virus cannot be treated with antibiotics...some of them seem to lack this basic knowledge

Thank goodness I don't have to go to a Doctor every time I have an ear ache or swollen tonsils to do exactly what they always do (prescribe an antibiotic). No, antibiotics don't work on a virus, but the virus many times leads to a bacterial infection, which if it happens to a be a strep infection, can lead to a kidney inflammation if not treated with antibiotics.

The real problem here, as in the rest of the world, is people take the pills until they feel better and don't complete the full course of treatment. Another problem, specific to Asia (especially Thailand) is the packaging. For instance in many pharmacies they sell a box of Augmentin that only has 7 pills. This medication is meant to be taken 2 times per day (even the 1 gram tablets), but no, they only take one a day or only for 3 1/2 days. Must be good enough..., no? No, and that's why people should go to a LICENSED Doctor, who actually went to med school and graduated to actually know how much they need to take and how long.

The other big, most, major contributing factor to the development of antibiotic resistance bacteria is all the antibiotics that are included in the feed of pigs, cattle and other commercial animals to prevent them getting sick while they're fattened up for market. We're taking antibiotics all the time if your eating any chicken, eggs, beef, pork, dairy and even farmed fish.

Okay, I'm off the soap box smile.png. Leave the pharmacy business here alone. I don't need a Doctor's prescription for every little ouchy...

I'll get up on your box now you have stepped down.

Agreed ... that plus the fact that pharmacies dispense antibis out of giant sweetie jars or in paeng (strips), both formats being sold without any drug leaflet being given. Doctors do the same at clinics and in hospitals. Thais never read drug leaflets for dosage or other important information - even those that would read are not given the info in the first place.