Vanishing Bangkok: Say Farewell To One Of Bangkok's Oldest Nightclubs

rooster59

Vanishing Bangkok: Say Farewell To One Of Bangkok's Oldest Nightclubs

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

post-247607-0-37297400-1466821593_thumb.

Music of the Heart posing for a picture. Photo: Checkinn 99 / Facebook

BANGKOK — Another piece of Bangkok history will bite the dust when a nightlife fixture of six decades shuts down July 2.

Check Inn 99, which for 59 years has entertained guests in keeping with the changing times, will close its doors forever after being evicted in the name of commercial development.

“It’s sad. It’s the only original Bangkok bar from the ‘50s,” said owner Chris Catto-Smith, who took over the bar in 2011 with his wife and business partner.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/entertainment/2016/06/24/vanishing-bangkok-say-farewell-one-bangkoks-oldest-nightclubs/

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-06-25

OMG...should be considered a historic site in Thailand and protected from demolition or looting...the DNA alone...collected in various areas of the club...should make it an international tourist attraction...the Japanese would pay good money for a fantasy tour there...

It may not have been all that great, but I enjoyed a visit there and the music from time to time.

As far as "cash-strapped foreigners", what about the "Crows on the rails" along Soi 4, all day long, with Boom Boom in there ears !!

Like everything old,,,,,,,, it dies.

RIP smelly hole

Not everything.

When I go to Vienna, the trip isn't complete until I go to the Marchfelderhof restaurant. I've been to the White Horse Tavern (1673), Zur Lezten Instanz (1621), and Honke Owariya (1425).

God almighty, anyone would think this place was Studio 54 or something

It's a crappy, cheesy hole popular with cash-strapped foreigners

It was around a long time before studio 54 and cash strapped foreigners were never the customers there. Check Inn 99 was not just a part of history but an island of calm in the madness of the sukhumvit area. Edited by The manic

How many more times do we have to be told that this unremarkable bar is closing? We know, ok?

You know it ... others don't. If you don't want to read it agin then ignore it ... and DON'T comment. BTW, the two closing parties is new info.

Like everything old,,,,,,,, it dies.

RIP smelly hole

Nobody forced you to go- why the nasty comment?

Probably because he's a nasty person with nasty attitude. TV.com is full of them. It somehow makes them feel superior and above it all. Pathetic, really.

I hope it is replaced by a McDonalds. True poetic justice for everybody that feels the need to say it is a hole. Better yet, another Hooters so the people spewing crap can not afford to eat there everyday. Was never a regular but what will come next, I am fairly certain will not be an improvement to the area.