Brexit: why British expats are worried

rooster59

One of the cornerstones of the EEA is the free movement of persons. My understanding is that among other things the Brexit is about limiting this free movement of persons.

Surely the EU will make a special deal just for the UK......

;)

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal opinion is that the recent fall in the value of Sterling is only one of several such falls that we're likely to see over the next 12/24 months as fiscal events manifest themselves and get embedded in the exchange rates. Loss of AAA rating could be the first and that is almost certainly going to be followed by outflows, difficult to see what the entire pattern may look like but we certainly aren't done, we've only just started.

My personal opinion, is that your personal opinion is wrong.

(Didn't you predict a stay in vote? Like you have a track record of being right?)

Anyway my home is still in the UK, with all the foreigners gone, I'll have room enough to live there.

I'm flattered that you want to follow me around all the time but it now needs to end because:

"Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed".

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Isn´t it great that people vote on a topic of such a magnitude and then don´t have a 100% clear understanding of what the consequences of their vote will be, such as the very basic question of "Are we still a member of the EEA or not?"

But then again, I strongly hope it will work out ok for the sake of all of us, whether you´re a "Remainer" or firmly on the "Out" side...

Edited by DUS

Isn´t it great that people vote on a topic of such a magnitude and then don´t have a 100% clear understanding of what the consequences of their vote will be, such as the very basic question of "Are we still a member of the EEA or not?"

But then again, I strongly hope it will work out ok for the sake of all of us, whether you´re a "Remainer" or firmly on the "Out" side...

It's because those in power hide and disseminate the facts in order to further their personal agenda.

I didn't vote, I don't ever vote. I play no part in democracy, it just doesn't matter that much to me.

One bunch of entitled landed and hereditary elite is as good as any other IMHO.

Edited by MissAndry

Short term pain but long term gain. For me nothing to do with immigration and everything

to do with the EU being anti democratic. A fat cat bureaucracy in Brussels feeding

at the public trough, piling up the red tape. No accountability, not a care or worry in the world.

Of course, the bureaucrats are now furious that someone (the lowly plebeian voters) would

dare to say enough. They will be out for revenge. The question is will they cut off their nose

to spite their face. whistling.gif

That's my feeling too.

When Singapore left Malaya everyone was saying they would never make it without the resources of Malaya and the sky would fall in. Look what happened.

Now hundreds of thousands of expats work between the two countries and Singapore is an example of what can happen if you do things right.

Brits have said "Enough" and they will make it work. What is all the fuss about? Media speculation I think! Folly!

Expect another split in the not too distant future, Scotland and Ireland voting to split from England,a possibility. What a legacy for Cameron! And, what brought it all on? Party politics.

Brexit means that the British lose rights to claim Americans are dumber...?

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber?intcid=obnetwork

Any one who considers even remotely Hilary Clinton for president has a long way to go on scale of dumbness to even see the UK. Last time she was President (ok Bill was in theory the president but she ran everything) it was a mess and from what we see in the papers it hasnt improved very much. The USA is entitled to criticise the UK when it has Mexico dictating policy and laws. Until then shut it

Methinks you missed the sarcasm.

cool down...I am not a hillary supporter....

gigglem.gif

The drop in the value of the pound has been mentioned many times but many rely on pension funds from the UK, which will also have taken a hit, so a double whammy!

Though compared to the amounts I've lost due to useless, scamming financial advisors, it's a drop in the ocean!

A drop in the pound combined with whats shaping up to be a smashing of global markets will make it difficult for many here now. Im guessing many will return to the safety net of Britain and hopefully will cull some of the Thai bashing expats who are usually struggling to survive anyway..

Ah yes, back to the not so warm Nanny State.

Pity...

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/british-lose-right-to-claim-that-americans-are-dumber?intcid=obnetwork

Any one who considers even remotely Hilary Clinton for president has a long way to go on scale of dumbness to even see the UK. Last time she was President (ok Bill was in theory the president but she ran everything) it was a mess and from what we see in the papers it hasnt improved very much. The USA is entitled to criticise the UK when it has Mexico dictating policy and laws. Until then shut it

gigglem.gif

Change that avatar then!

Hard to tell the difference between you and JT these days! laugh.png

I'm flattered that you want to follow me around all the time but it now needs to end because:

"Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed".

And yet, you are the one trawling my profile ......... creepy or what?

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Actually the answer to that is a big fat YES..... The LEAVE voters decided that although this is somewhat a leap into the dark as regards their jobs and livelihoods, it was better to take that leap rather than settle for the status quo because that status quo is extremely undemocratic.

So manfredtillman you are completely wrong again!!!

Bearing in mind that those that retired within the EU are now considering the possibliity of being in the same situation as those of us who moved to Thailand have always had to deal with - my sympathy level is v low.

I live in the EU and have a lot of British friends who have long established themselves locally. A lot will change for them and while I sympathize, at the end of the day they will probably just be treated like I am as an American. Sympathy has its limits because there is still something odd about saying, "Oh, I feel so sorry for you. Now you will be treated the same as I am".

It is worse than I anticipated. I now have to be treated like an American?

ME ME ME.

and that is different from the mindset of those who voted to 'leave'?

Actually the answer to that is a big fat YES..... The LEAVE voters decided that although this is somewhat a leap into the dark as regards their jobs and livelihoods, it was better to take that leap rather than settle for the status quo because that status quo is extremely undemocratic.

So manfredtillman you are completely wrong again!!!

most of the 'leave' voters don't have a job. they are retired 'live-in-the-past's' stuffing up their children's future.

open your eyes and ears, the people who's future you just sacrificed are the very ones who are paying for your pension.

let's hope they all pull the plug on you.

gigglem.gif

Change that avatar then!

Hard to tell the difference between you and JT these days! laugh.png

Yeah. I was trying to catch JT off guard. Need to really look close at the avatar.

If the EU want to make this a separation based on what's good for all people (which they won't), part of the separation agreement should be an easy visa system between the UK and the EU. All citizens of EU countries living in the UK (without serious criminal record) automatically get leave to remain visas and vice versa.

Listening to Radio 4 yesterday here in the UK, there's panic amongst Europeans living in Blighty. They're scared and a paranoia has set in that they're not wanted here, that they're hated. From my point of view this simply isn't the case. Yes, the UK needs immigration control, it's got twice the population density of Germany, it doesn't have sufficient housing and public services to cope with a continued mass influx. But, for those people from other EU countries already established here, life should not be made difficult (it's difficult enough thanks).

The referendum campaign and certainly the communication of any sort of immediate plan in case of Brexit was an utter disgrace on both sides, leading to the sort of extreme uncertainty we're now witnessing.

The UK has a population density of 267 per square km of land - Germany has a population density of 232.

But actually I think that this is a complete side show in the central argument. I just don't get why the UK, the 5th most wealthy country cannot provide sufficient housing and public services. I also don't understand why the UK did not do what other EU countries do, which is deny benefits to all non-citizens until they can prove several years of tax-paying in-country.

The sad truth about the campaign for and against was the UK media - no matter what anyone said, they only reported the controversial stuff, amplifying the scare tactics of the UKIP and others even above the voices of the moderate Brexit politicians, not to mention repeating the lies about the amount of money saved if the Brexit vote won.

The equally sad facts that the Brexit supporters will find out over the next few years is that being outside the EU will cost the UK more than being inside (if they adopt the Norwegian model which is about the best option). It will do little to stem the tide of immigration, especially illegal immigration, as EU countries will no longer have an incentive to stop migrants on the European mainland side. Within the UK it will sow the seeds of division between the older and the younger, the northerners versus the Londoners, Scotland versus the rest of the UK and create the infrastructure of division again in Northern Ireland.

Britain joined the EEA before the EU. It's already a member.

Wrong.

The UK joined the EEC in 1974; the EEC formally became the EU on 1st November 1993; the EEA came into being on 1st January 1994!

The EEA member states are the 28 EU member states (currently including the UK) and three of the four EFTA states, the fourth, Switzerland, opting out.

Although Switzerland has signed up to both the free movement of goods and the free movement pf people treaties.

Membership of the EEA is dependent upon being a member of either the EU or EFTA.

The UK left EFTA in 1974 when it joined the EEC.

Whether or not the UK will apply to rejoin EFTA and via that retain membership of the EEA or apply remain a member of the EEA without being a member of either the EU or EFTA we will have to wait and see.

Even if they do so, there is no guarantee that any such application would be successful.

Certainly such membership, or even an agreement on the Swiss model, would be dependent upon the UK agreeing to the freedom of movement directive.

This would make a farce of this whole referendum as, according to newspaper polls in the UK and vox pops on the BBC, ITV and Sky, both before and after Thursday, the main reason for people voting to leave was EU immigration!

How will the British public react if told that, having voted to leave the EU there was going to be absolutely no difference to the right of EEA nationals to live and work in the UK?

Britain joined the EEA before the EU. It's already a member.

Wrong.

The UK joined the EEC in 1974; the EEC formally became the EU on 1st November 1993; the EEA came into being on 1st January 1994!

The EEA member states are the 28 EU member states (currently including the UK) and three of the four EFTA states, the fourth, Switzerland, opting out.

Although Switzerland has signed up to both the free movement of goods and the free movement pf people treaties.

Membership of the EEA is dependent upon being a member of either the EU or EFTA.

The UK left EFTA in 1974 when it joined the EEC.

Whether or not the UK will apply to rejoin EFTA and via that retain membership of the EEA or apply remain a member of the EEA without being a member of either the EU or EFTA we will have to wait and see.

Even if they do so, there is no guarantee that any such application would be successful.

Certainly such membership, or even an agreement on the Swiss model, would be dependent upon the UK agreeing to the freedom of movement directive.

This would make a farce of this whole referendum as, according to newspaper polls in the UK and vox pops on the BBC, ITV and Sky, both before and after Thursday, the main reason for people voting to leave was EU immigration!

How will the British public react if told that, having voted to leave the EU there was going to be absolutely no difference to the right of EEA nationals to live and work in the UK?

Good point. Who knows? All based on power struggles. Boris, Jeremy? "Man on the street" (person to be PC) is generally just a puppet.

I am convinced that Boris' decision to join and then lead the leave campaign had more to do with his desire to be the next Prime Minister than any firm conviction on the benefits or otherwise of UK membership of the EU!

You know if all the expat moaners about the Leave vote would have taken a flight home, voted, and put their money where their mouth is, I'd have a a bit of sympathy.

British expats can register to vote in UK elections and referenda.

Had they done so they could have voted in this referendum either by post, proxy or, if they happened to be in the UK on the day, in person.

I am sure that many did one of these.

How in the name of heaven can the Blair camp even suggest that another referendum be held before the UK leave the EU. That would be completely undemocratic and madness. I have no insight into exchange rates or market conditions but come Monday nothing will have changed. The Uk will still be in the EU- Article 50 has not yet been invoked which triggers the actual exit mechanism. The Pound should start to creep back up especially here in Thailand where the British economy even out of the EU is in much better shape than the Thai economy. The British have spoken. The exit needs to be well planned and not allowed to be pushed quickly by either Germany or France for their own political ends.

As an American I was not pleased with President Obama's reference that while the Americans and British will maintain their long relationship- the British will be at the end of the queue on trade renegotiation. Utter nonsense. In my mind, they need to be at the beginning of the queue. The UK still has the World's 5th largest economy; American military are stationed in the UK; and the UK is central to NATO planning and security. It is the EU that should be at the end of the queue.

The next British PM will be a key player in all this so I hope the polls choose wisely. I can't believe the Scottish Nationalists are again raising their voices and may want another vote on Scottish independence. Just as an aside- some politicians in the US State of Texas now want to push for secession from the United States. Good Lord- maybe Texas can join the Scottish Union!!