Roi Et Car Rental And Things To Do

Kokkerel

Hi all,

First post, great forum. I'll be staying @ the petcharat garden hotel in november for a couple of days and looking to rent a car for a few days. Anyone know where i can get one in Roi-Et itself ? Also what to do in and around Roi Et, thinking that we have a car available.

Thanks, :o

I will be visiting Roi ET early next year and will be travelling to Udon and Lop Buri so I am also very interested in finding out the name and location of any car rental companies and more importantly the weekly cost of hire.

Thanks in advance

John

Thank you for the reply.

Roi-Et plaza that's a shopping center right? The rental office is some kind of travel agency?

Regards,

kokkerel

Yes it is a shopping plazza. I believe the car rental place was in a travel agents office, it was not a brand name one. The plazza is on a corner, if you are at the corner that meets the two roads, cross the street and stay on the same side of the street that the plazza is on and walk down that road and there is a travel agent, that is how I remember it, it has been about 7 years since I saw it. I use to always fly to Khon Kaen and rent a car there. Issangeorge.

post-18138-1163646622_thumb.jpgI loved Roi-et when I visited this year. It is clean and easy to get around.

The lake is really beautiful and full of fish that you can feed, just thousands and thousands of them.

There is a TV member named Roiet and he can probably help you if you can find him.

I was advised to visit the White Elephant bar and resturant close to Roi-et city hotel.

The owner can point you in the direction of pretty much anything that you want.

You can contact them; Poo and Klaus tel/fax 043 514778 mobile 01 0590060.

I will be visiting again next Feb and want to spend much more time there than the last time.

It is a real gem of a place for sure.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

When in Thailand I live near Mahasarakham and sometimes visit Roi Et. I last stayed in the Petcharat Gardens in April and had a good weekend there. I would second everything that others have said about how attractive Roi Et is as a city. The central lake, Bung Phlan Chai, the nearby park and the tall walking Buddha at Wat Buraphaphiram are all worth seeing. The website mentioned above is very good for local nightlife and restaurants etc, many of which are close to the hotel. I am not sure that the province is quite as attractive as the city. I would say that the north east where Roi Et comes close to the Phu Phan mountains would be the most interesting way to go, perhaps visiting the waterfalls. A drive along the roads in the direction of Sakon Nakon or Mukdahan is quite scenic. I like the northern part of Kalasin province and if you want to go that way, the Lam Pao dam and reservoir or the dinosaur fossils at Phu Kum Khao are good destinations for day trips. I have been told there is a small wild life park near Phon Tong, just to the north east of Roi Et city, but haven't got around to exploring this yet. If you want to go in the direction of Sarakham, the monkey park at Kosum Phisai by the Chi river is entertaining and free. One of my favourite spots to the south is Amphur Nadun. Here there is a fascinating museum of Isaan life, with authentic buildings and artefacts, run by Mahasarakham University, and a famous chedi nearby. Both are free.

Hi All, first post, only recently informed of this forum. I Have been living in Roi Et for almost the last four years. Funky town and growing fast. My wife works at the travel-car rental place any info required call 043 513230 or 01 8727649 English and Thai spoken.

For now,

TapDam

Hi All, first post, only recently informed of this forum. I Have been living in Roi Et for almost the last four years. Funky town and growing fast. My wife works at the travel-car rental place any info required call 043 513230 or 01 8727649 English and Thai spoken.

For now,

TapDam

Hello TapDam and thanks for your reply.

Is there a chance that you can tell me what the car rental prices are? Ball park would be O.K..

Also, out of interest, what do you think is the make up of the farang population in Roi Et.

By this I mean where do the majority of farang come from?

When I was there I didnt hear a lot of English being spoken by the few farang that I came close to.

I am from way down under but just loved Roi Et and will be there maybe Feb or March and want to have a better look around.

Thanks.

For now,

TapDam

Hello TapDam and thanks for your reply.

Is there a chance that you can tell me what the car rental prices are? Ball park would be O.K..

Also, out of interest, what do you think is the make up of the farang population in Roi Et.

By this I mean where do the majority of farang come from?

When I was there I didnt hear a lot of English being spoken by the few farang that I came close to.

Er indoors tells me, 1200THB for a pickup, 1500THB for a car/day, 21000THB/month? (new vehicles less than 1 year old with A1 insurance).

Farangs are all over Roi Et, a lot of teachers with the government policy to teach the locals English, Swiss German and English are at about parity, also Aus American and Canadians, growing fast, first time here eight years (lived here now for almost four years) ago I thought I was the only Farang in town?

Go to 101 pizza place at the lake or the White Elephant bar near the Roi Et City Hotel and all will become apparent.

See you soon

Tap Dam.

I am from way down under but just loved Roi Et and will be there maybe Feb or March and want to have a better look around.

Thanks.

Thanks for that.

I am trying to get some sort of travel plan together and was wondering about a trip out to Mukdahan. And maybe a day trip into Laos.

I want to base at Roi Et and after we have done the village thing ( Wapipathum ) we will eventually be heading down to Ubon.

Do you have any information on buses or other forms of transport from Roi Et to Mukdahan and how long it takes to get there? Also where to stay at Mukdahan. Is it good for a day trip?

Is it better to up roots and go Roi Et - Mukdahan - Ubon - BKK or Roi Et -Ubon - Bkk. and just visit Mukdahan for a day or two?

Any info would be really helpfull.

Thanks for that.

I am trying to get some sort of travel plan together and was wondering about a trip out to Mukdahan. And maybe a day trip into Laos.

I want to base at Roi Et and after we have done the village thing ( Wapipathum ) we will eventually be heading down to Ubon.

Do you have any information on buses or other forms of transport from Roi Et to Mukdahan and how long it takes to get there? Also where to stay at Mukdahan. Is it good for a day trip?

Is it better to up roots and go Roi Et - Mukdahan - Ubon - BKK or Roi Et -Ubon - Bkk. and just visit Mukdahan for a day or two?

Any info would be really helpfull.

Vegemite, The Bangkok-Mukdahan Bus goes through Roi-et and would take about two and a half to three hours from Roi-et to Mukdahan. I like Mukdahan a lot and think it is worth a couple days visit, but it would be a lot easier traveling around if you had a car. If I had a car i would drive from Roi-et on Hwy. 2044 to Phon Thong and then from there right onto Hwy 2136 to Nong Phok. Past Nong Phok there is a large Temple up on the mountain called Pha Nam Yoi or Pha Nam Thip, it is well worth seeing and is on the edge of a Forest Park that has som old growth trees. I would plan on eating lunch here and at least three hours. From there you can take a road that will go through the mountains and take you to Hwy 2370 turn right here and go to Hwy 212 and turn left, this will take you into Mukdahan. Spend the night in Mukdahan and the next day exploring. Then the next day get up early and drive north along Hwy 212 to That Phanom where there is a temple with one of Budha's bones in it. You could have lunch here or plan an all afternoon lunch on the way back on the Maekhong River. When driving south on 212 you will come to Hwy 2104 which goes west just about there maybe a little bit past there is a road that goes east and takes you to the Maekhong, then turn south and drive untill you see a nice picnic area that also has restaurants, it is a nice spot and only takes about 30-40 minutes to get back to Mukdahan from there. I highly recomend you buy ThinkNet MapMagic's map. I think the cost is 200 or 300 Baht and it is the best map of Thailand I have had and I have had many. It comes with a folding Map and a CD that will zoom to 1:50000 scale and shows most of all the small roads that you don't find on a regular map. Hope this helps Issangeorge.

There seems to be a few knowledgeable people on this Forum Site, can anyone help me. I intend to travel from Bangkok to Suwannaphum ( a township about 50km outside of Roi Et ), from my understanding there is a bus that goes there direct from Mor Chit 2 in Bangkok, can anyone confirm this and tell me what time the buses leave and the approximate travel times.

Cheers

John

Great info and thanks a lot Issangeorge,

Do you know any half decent places to stay at Mukdahan? Maybe with a real toilet and a shower and clean? Guest house or serviced apartments or hotel.

If you know of anywhere to stay do you have phone numbers or any other info??

Have you been to Laos via Mukdahan and are there any problems or things that I need to know or do?

Sorry for the 20 questions.

Great info and thanks a lot Issangeorge,

Do you know any half decent places to stay at Mukdahan? Maybe with a real toilet and a shower and clean? Guest house or serviced apartments or hotel.

If you know of anywhere to stay do you have phone numbers or any other info??

Have you been to Laos via Mukdahan and are there any problems or things that I need to know or do?

Sorry for the 20 questions.

I have stayed at the Ploy Palace Hotel it has AC western style toilet hot water shower, is relatively clean a tourist class hotel. Here is a web site http://www.hotelthailand.com/mukdahan/ploypalace/index.html but just Google Mukdahan Hotels. Issangeorge.

There seems to be a few knowledgeable people on this Forum Site, can anyone help me. I intend to travel from Bangkok to Suwannaphum ( a township about 50km outside of Roi Et ), from my understanding there is a bus that goes there direct from Mor Chit 2 in Bangkok, can anyone confirm this and tell me what time the buses leave and the approximate travel times.

Cheers

John

By looking at my map it looks like Suwannaphum is between Surin and Roi-et so you might have to take the bus to Surin and then one from there to Suwannaphum, or there may be a bus that goes direct from Bangkok to Surin and then to Roi-et and stops in Suwannaphum. All buses leaving for the North East leave from Morchit Bus Station and seem to go all day long but especially from 18:00 to about 21:00 so you travel overnight. Issangeorge.

Hi all,

Just came back from Roi Et. I rented a car from the travel agency mentioned before near the Roi Et plaza.The car was waiting for me at the airport and was picked up there too when i left, so no need for a taxi.

Price was indeed 1500/day for a Honda.

Another place too rent a car as i find out later is Phipatpong Tour Limited Partnership 101.

Mobile 01-8737469 or tel. 043-512835. Prices vary from 1200 B - 1500 B

I stayed at the Petcharat Garden Hotel the 4th time and found it really run down these days. The walls in the rooms are very dirty and bloody from other guest killing cockroaches and insects.They seem to be on every wall in the hotel.First thing to do every morning is kill cockroaches in the bathroom by creating a mini-tsunami using the butt sprayer :o

It's a real challenge to get in your room at night and leave the flying friends outside.

Tip : don't look under the bed :-)

But hey, cheap place,good breakfast and best pool in town. Nearby is a huge BBQ place, 89 baht all you can eat.

Doesnt anyone know about the Poon Petch Sport Club.

Serviced apartments and sparkling clean. The units have a real toilet and hot water shower, TV and a fridge if you want, a balcony and air con. It was new when we were there ( Feb this year ) and there was a pool being built. It has a resturant and bar down stairs with good food. It is accross the road from The Roi Et City Hotel and a few doors away from The White Elephant.

What more could anybody want?

We will be making a bee line to the place next trip to Roi Et.

P.S. stay away from Kan Kaen Hotel unless you can sleep with the smell of urine and the sound of many thousands of mozzies. It is listed in Lonely Planet. Shame on them.