Thai Education Min told to solve student brawl crisis urgently

webfact

Ministry of Education told to solve student brawl crisis urgently

sbr.jpg

BANGKOK, 28 June 2016 (NNT)-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Education to take serious and continuous action to eliminate student brawls.

According to Prime Minister’s Office Spokesperson Major General Sansern Keawkamnerd, the Ministry of Education will publish a handbook that will offer guidelines and suggestions to schools and others involved in the issue, to follow.

People generally have been urged to report disturbances to authorities if they witness any brawls. The Ministry of Education is also expected to support youth related activities to get them to spend their time usefully.

The Spokesperson added legal action will be pursued rigorously as a means of ensuring no violence takes place in the future and to eliminate the injuries and deaths that have occurred as a result of past fights. The students will also be made aware of the consequences of their actions if they persist and how they affect their parents.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2016-06-28 footer_n.gif

So this enduring problem looks like being solved with a slap-up lunch and media presentation and the release of a handbook. In addition a scapegoat for the possible failure of such an initiative has been nominated by the PM viz. the Minister of Education.

BANGKOK, 28 June 2016 (NNT)-Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha has instructed the Ministry of Education to take serious and continuous action to eliminate student brawls.

How about instructing the Ministry to take SERIOUS and continuous action in regards to fire safety in schools to prevent deaths like those that occurred in Chiang Rai.

'the Ministry of Education will publish a handbook that will offer guidelines and suggestions to schools'

Just like the way they 'advised' schools for years not to have academic subjects in the afternoons and have non-academic subjects such as P.E, Art and Music instead. This 'advice' of course wasn't followed as it was far more rewarding easier to give your friends the first periods of the day.

Schools don't follow advice but they will follow rules such as the latest directive to 'reduce teaching time, increase knowledge' (however that works!)

I think the problem may start outside of school, maybe in the home and upbringimg.

I don't think the Education dept has any chance of fixing this problem on their own.

I like to get an early morning walk at our local scenic park and try to be on the track around 0400.

During school holidays and on the weekends it's common to see young boys and girls sitting around or charging about on m/cycles so the question is do their parents know they're out at that time and do they care ?

I think the problem may start outside of school, maybe in the home and upbringimg.

I don't think the Education dept has any chance of fixing this problem on their own.

I don't think so! This problem is instilled by the schools and their Thai teachers...

BTW! Last year an initiative was ordered that if your students fight with another schools students then the school will be held responsible. I believe fines and closures both temporary and permanent were laid out.

Unfortunately, the first time they tried to impose this action became the last time they tried. Parents schools and teachers should be taking responsibility for this as well as the individual student. All need to be held accountable.

NNT headline reads “Ministry of Education told to solve student brawl crisis urgently”

Despite the tough talk, the response (as also observed by lostmebike #6), has been that the Ministry of Education will publish a handbook offering guidelines and suggestions to schools and others involved in the issue, to follow.

Wow! Unless these will be very strict “guidelines”, this is a far cry from what was reported back in May, when we were told the Minister threatened to shut down any institute that fails to adopt concrete measure to end student brawls (http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/vocational-schools-ordered-to-bring-student-brawls-under-control/142589/).

Time for a new Education Minister (again).

...Oh so a handbook will fix the problem....No it won't

How about this for fixing the problem.....(seeing as it has been going on for so long with no decisive hammerfist action from authorities)

As from today any school having their students involved in brawls is closed immediately without further notice.

This applies to both schools of the students involved in the brawl....irrespective of who is to blame for starting the brawl

Impact.....

Loss of revenue for the school

Postponement of lessons for the students - possible loss of prepaid fee's

As well it would act as a big wake up call for school authorities and students.....that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

is there any difference between this nonsense or that of North Korea.... or Donald Trump?

Don't know about Mr Trump.

Although I can not escape the idea he is villified for his views on "fugitives", like anyone else not having the PC ideas.

But North Korea?

Really?

You really think North Korea in any way has anything in common with Thailand?

Guess a long, extended visit to NK will open your eyes very speedy indeed.

That is, if you are not in the slammer or in an anonymous grave.

"People generally have been urged to report disturbances to authorities if they witness any brawls."

And then? If by "authorities" they meant "police"..... lots of luck. Police don't want to go to those brawls. They are dangerous and might get hurt.

Create a strong thai economy and good jobs for the citizens so they can have a good income and be able to provide for the family and the parents can be home more to take care of their children so that these children can grow up having a parent figure around the house and be attached to the parents instead of their friends.

is there any difference between this nonsense or that of North Korea.... or Donald Trump?

Although I can not escape the idea he is villified for his views on "fugitives", like anyone else not having the PC ideas.

But North Korea?

Really?

I don't want to start talking about Donald Trump, because it's off topic but isn't that typical of liberal "progressives" to call someone like Trump speaking the truth with plain language "nonsense" because they don't like hearing the truth? Keep living in your self-styled utopia, but if Hillary wins America is finished, you know it.

Anyway, I agree with you hansnl, North Korea and Thailand have even less in common than Myanmar and North Korea had in common during the military years in the former.

Back on topic though - you would think given we are living under a military government they would have a better ability to control dissent and crime, including that of brawling youths. Strangely enough though, there is no less crime now than there was pre May 22nd, 2014.

Am I the only one that finds this strange?

'The Spokesperson added legal action will be pursued rigorously as a means of ensuring no violence takes place in the future and to eliminate the injuries and deaths that have occurred as a result of past fights. The students will also be made aware of the consequences of their actions ...' As usual, optimism rules the day.

And shouldn't the RTP be woken up and involved?

But North Korea?

Really?

I don't want to start talking about Donald Trump, because it's off topic but isn't that typical of liberal "progressives" to call someone like Trump speaking the truth with plain language "nonsense" because they don't like hearing the truth? Keep living in your self-styled utopia, but if Hillary wins America is finished, you know it.

Anyway, I agree with you hansnl, North Korea and Thailand have even less in common than Myanmar and North Korea had in common during the military years in the former.

Back on topic though - you would think given we are living under a military government they would have a better ability to control dissent and crime, including that of brawling youths. Strangely enough though, there is no less crime now than there was pre May 22nd, 2014.

Am I the only one that finds this strange?

Don't wanna go into politics but I sincerely hope nobody will ever be forced to have his 'haircut'. That would be close to waterboarding. rolleyes.gif

All the law related problems of the country could be solved within a day. All they have to do is give harsh sentences and enforce them. However, we all know that there are many levels of the law varying from the law for those with money to the laws for the ordinary people on the street and never shall the two come even close.

For the brawling why not publicly flog them. All these idiots who think themselves as tough nuts would be crying like a baby within seconds. Hard to act touch when everyone has seen them bawling like a baby.

Why has the Ministry of Education been tasked with this? It is the job of the police that is a big part of their function.

Edited by gandalf12

How about this for fixing the problem.....(seeing as it has been going on for so long with no decisive hammerfist action from authorities)

As from today any school having their students involved in brawls is closed immediately without further notice.

This applies to both schools of the students involved in the brawl....irrespective of who is to blame for starting the brawl

Impact.....

As well it would act as a big wake up call for school authorities and students.....that this type of behaviour will not be tolerated.

Punishing law-abiding, hard-working students by closing their school because of a few louts is hardly just or likely to achieve the desired result. Nor can I see the military leadership solving this problem. Anybody who has served in the military knows that the Army encourages the same kind of phoney rivalry which exists between vocational training colleges to indoctrinate raw recruits. I still bear the scars of basic training brawls with rival platoons!

Your absolutely right it should start at home !! Schools are there for our kids to get an education !! NOT for teaching them basic manners, respect for others and how to conduct your self as a person !! this all should be taught at home how to conduct your self in public !! Sorry but I say it's the parents fault all the WAY !! But lets be honest there are kids that won't have a chance to get this at home, but 3/4 of a country I mean come on !! If my kids acted like this in school or out in the public I would be ashamed of MY SELF for not teaching them properly how to act towards others !! You also don't let people kick you around with out standing up for your self but there's a time and place for that and this isn't the time or place !! SHAME ON THEM AND THEIR PARENTS !! It's not the Educations dept. to teach them THIS !!

Edited by GeckosDiving

Impact.....

Punishing law-abiding, hard-working students by closing their school because of a few louts is hardly just or likely to achieve the desired result. Nor can I see the military leadership solving this problem. Anybody who has served in the military knows that the Army encourages the same kind of phoney rivalry which exists between vocational training colleges to indoctrinate raw recruits. I still bear the scars of basic training brawls with rival platoons!

The psych is simple. Divide and conquer. Closing the schools isn't the answer, stopping the creation of false loyalties and fragmenting the student body to create petty rivalries is the answer.

The teachers and management at any school are responsible for the teaching methods at schools. If they cannot manage the students and if they cannot educate the students, replace them.

Don't have good teachers or managers to replace them with? Blame the Dept. of Education. If they cannot manage the teachers and management of the schools and if they cannot train the the teachers and management, replace them.

But this will never happen and Thailand will remain in the 3rd-world until it does. Culture does not flow from the people. it is specifically purpose-built and thrust upon the people - it's an expression of 'how we do things around here' and us decided by the pooyay, not the phrae. The Thai culture is responsible for everything that sucks in Thailand, from the appalling education Thais get, to the corruption, dishonesty and social inequality which are everywhere - every aspect of it is carefully thought out in order to establish and perpetuate obedience and acceptance - Sakdina.

The question is: who has sponsored the development of a pernicious culture designed to benefit the 1% of Thais who own 50% of Thai assets. Find out who it is and replace them. Start with finding out who benefits the most.

It really isn't hard. All Thailand needs to do is decide it will change, and then get a single person or team of people to lead that change. And make sure it isn't a soldier or soldiers, that's been tried and it never works. Digging latrines is as much as they can generally manage, and running away if it's the Thai army.

Do not confuse leaders and followers. That applies in all cases. That is what Thais need to learn, everything else follows from that one skill. Replace the leaders, educate and train the followers, Start to change the culture, because without that, nothing else will change..

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

This is a no brainer...those students who have proven to have a propensity for brawling...will be given a choice...join a moi-thai fight club...train for 3 months and be ready to meet your opponent in the ring...or spend a few weeks in jail...with frequent visits to the morgue...to see where people prone to violence will end up one day...sooner than later...

Thai's violent culture needs to do a reset...discourage solving disputes with violent acts, brawling, knives, guns, and mob beatdowns...

Thailand would become sheer heaven on earth...if they could get a handle on the crime and corruption...

I know...dreaming here...(dreaming is still legal in Thailand at this time...enjoy your freedom)

How about instructing the Ministry to take SERIOUS and continuous action in regards to fire safety in schools to prevent deaths like those that occurred in Chiang Rai.

Or even to ensure their schools manage to achieve a bit of education from time to time?